Help me decide on Red Dot mounting options

I've had good success with the ScoutScope Mount. Easy to install. Well made, you can take off the scope/Red Dot and re-mount without losing zero.

I went to a Red Dot on one of my Saiga just to try it out and it's a permanent fixture now.

Steve

post-3596-1175542626_thumb.jpg

Edited by sgphoto

I have the second set up but a different red dot. I will have that red dot one day but not yet. I am thoroughly satisfied with the set up. I like haveing the sight centered over the centerline of the rifle and as close to the top of the cover as possible. I particularly like the mount since the weaver rail allows me to change to a scope or other sight as I see fit. Going to iron sights only takes a couple of second to slide off the mount. With a red dot in use there is really no need to see the rifles irons.

Thanks for all the input Saiga fans.

After doing much research, thinking, and collecting the opinions of experienced AK shooters like yourselves, I've decided to go with the Ultimak set up. I think I'm even going to go with Aimpoint as well.

I started out with a bone stock Saiga. Had it converted, and was going to be done with it. However, it's become an obsession with me now, and I just keep spending more and more personalizing it.

It's all your guys fault you know. :angry: I mean, when does it end? Ohhh never mind. I'm going to the range tomorrow and shoot it anyway. At least I can satisfy my obsession for a couple days, maybe. :killer:

Thanks all.

I have the pk/as red dot. It is mounted more to the side though, and does not sit up as high. I like it alot, but with the side mount config I have you cannot access the locking nut for the adjusters without removing scope. The mount shown in your first pic seems like it might be kinda awkward as far as height, but I can plainly see the locknut is easily accessable. Once these scopes are dialed in you can pull them off and on with no problems as far as losing your spot which I think is kinda cool. Sounds like you made your decision though. Good luck

My first choice would be a Kobra set up.If your going with any sort of rail and are thinking of a Aimpont,its the best.If your looking for a good alternative to the Aimpoint the Ultra Dot Strike(Basicly a Aimpoint clone) is excellent for the price (around $90) Its been a big descussion over at AR15.com as its the old Tacpoint thats been bought out buy Ultra Dot which is an American company.Conclusion was,if your not a purest, the Tacpoint/Ultra dot performs as good as the Aimpoint for basic use,just dont go diving or dragging it thru to much mud :smoke: Im about to recieve my 1st Ultra Dot,and have two Tacpoints that have worked great!....i keep my two Aimpoints on the high $ Ar's.

UltraDotStrikeDot.jpg

After doing much research, thinking, and collecting the opinions of experienced AK shooters like yourselves, I've decided to go with the Ultimak set up. I think I'm even going to go with Aimpoint as well.

I started out with a bone stock Saiga. Had it converted, and was going to be done with it. However, it's become an obsession with me now, and I just keep spending more and more personalizing it.

It's all your guys fault you know. :angry: I mean, when does it end? Ohhh never mind. I'm going to the range tomorrow and shoot it anyway. At least I can satisfy my obsession for a couple days, maybe. :killer:

Thanks all.

Hello, MacMan

If you're set on an Aimpoint, you may want to investigate the 2X model. As far as I know, it's the only magnified red-dot "scope" available. I had one on my S-.308 for a while, decided I needed more magnification (range), so the Aimpoint moved to my .45 Storm. I think it's a pretty nice setup for a rifle or carbine, though.

JMHO,

Guido2 in Houston

• 2 weeks later...

I have looked a lot into this because I am too looking for a red dot. After much consideration and research, a Kobra is the best way to go. You get a kick ass red dot with a mount for under $200. All of the other options, separate rails and other red dots came to way more. I just need to save up the money then one is on the way to me.

Thanks all.

Hello, MacMan

If you're set on an Aimpoint, you may want to investigate the 2X model. As far as I know, it's the only magnified red-dot "scope" available. I had one on my S-.308 for a while, decided I needed more magnification (range), so the Aimpoint moved to my .45 Storm. I think it's a pretty nice setup for a rifle or carbine, though.

JMHO,

Guido2 in Houston

Yeah, I saw those, too. However for the limited range of a 7.62X39 I don't think it's worth the extra cost IMHO.

I'm looking at the Ultimak too, but want to run it on my unconverted 223 Saiga. Since the gas tube is what holds the handguards on the rifle, how will the Ultimak work?

I'm not sure what you mean. The gas tube does not hold the handguard in place on the 39. Are the .223's different in some way?

The Ultimak comes with two steel straps that clamp down on the barrel. I'm told by several other sources that have them that they are indeed solid, and work real well for a the AK. However, the caveat is that for the Saiga models you will have to cut and modify the handguard to fit. Another option is to pay an additional $225 for their handguard rail system and you will have a no hassle installation. A cheaper more practical approach is to purchase a standard AK lower handguard, and one of dingzags handguard retainers for a no hassle installation. Good luck.

Edited by MacMan
I'm not sure what you mean. The gas tube does not hold the handguard in place on the 39. Are the .223's different in some way?

The Ultimak comes with two steel straps that clamp down on the barrel. I'm told by several other sources that have them that they are indeed solid, and work real well for a the AK. However, the caveat is that for the Saiga models you will have to cut and modify the handguard to fit. Another option is to pay an additional $225 for their handguard rail system and you will have a no hassle installation. A cheaper more practical approach is to purchase a standard AK lower handguard, and one of dingzags handguard retainers for a no hassle installation. Good luck.

Yes it does, I'm looking at it right now. On the wood stock rifles, the handguard is held in place by a single screw on the underside of the receiver below the charging handle. But on a polymer stocked rifle, there are two little flanges on either side of the rear of the gas tube that fit in a little recess on the inside of the handguards, preventing the handguards from sliding forward off the gun. Both my 223 and x39 have this feature. Are the new RAA imports different?

I got an email back from Ultimak saying exactly what you said above about modification. Where do I find this Dingzag retainer that you speak of?

Thanks

Edited by MRW

Dinzags E address is: dinzzag@yahoo.com

I think they're something like $40 shipped if my memory is correct. They are rock solid, and come with the loop to mount a sling on the side.

I just ordered an Ultimak the other day from the distributor, and they sent me an e-mail telling me that they are backordered, and expect to ship 04/20.

You could shop around though. I think Tapco has some in stock.