Once in a while somebody says how cool they think a Saiga-10 would be. Just because 10ga is the biggest shotgun round out there that's allowed for hunting in the US.

And of course the reality is that NO, the Russians will not make us a Saiga-10. But that's not stopping us from making one, with changes to the design that make it more feasible to make in the US.

Not that anyone really NEEDs one at all. Although there are folks who like the 10ga for hunting, and some of us would just plain want one. Most 10ga repeaters out there are autoloaders, due to the recoil reduction achieved by that system, due to weight and reciprocating mass.

My concept would be this:

Make the receiver from 1.5 x 0.12" square tube. Yes, that would be heavy. That's the point.

With this much weight, plus the weight of the larger parts for the larger round, and the 30" barrel that the 10ga deserves, It would have to have the P-grip configuration in order to keep some resemblance of a good balance. Need to move that weight as far back as possible. The buttstock would probably be shorter since the action would take up some of its space.

Only Saiga/AK parts would be the trigger group.

Since 10ga rounds have a pretty narrow variety, no gas adjustment should be necessary. Heck, it might even be able to use an AK piston and gas tube, if the longer action didn't mandate a longer piston.

2rd magazine. Let's face it - few people shoot the 10ga in any quantity. Since most 10ga use is for hunting, and almost every region limits shotguns to 2+1 capacity, a 2rd mag would only make sense. Now for the controversial part - I'd make it a fixed 2rd mag. Why? To utilize a certain mag design, that of the SKS. A lever controlled follower with a spring that you can wind up tighter or looser. Ok, so maybe a box mag the length of the cartridges would be better. Maybe. I'd consider both. A fixed mag would help it avoid DD status, considering that its weight would be pretty high and that's not a good thing in the eyes of our favorite government agency.

Perhaps a recoil absorbing buttstock design specifically for this shotgun. I don't think anyone would want to use this with a scope, so something that let the entire gun recoil back a bit may be in order. But if the buttstock's too loose, no one would be able to shoulder it firmly, and the p-grip hand would receive too much of the recoil.

A site rib - long and high. I think some Saiga rifles have them, with a truss-type support. This would keep barrel heat far away from the line of sight, not that you'd shoot a 10ga enough to generate that much heat.

Price tag? Come on, guys, you know it wouldn't be cheap. You'd be lucky to get it for $1000. Other 10ga semi-autos would probably cost a lot more, but partly due to their high grade. Basically trade high grade for reliability and ergonomics. Come to think of it, that's the Saigas right there.

This is just brainstorming, but hopefully the more realistic type. What do you think about this idea?

Heavy is very very good, I have an H&R topper in 10 gauge..you don't shoot that alot

Mag capacity isn't an issue here for me since shells are expensive, and going back to the whole kick issue its not like I'm going to be "mag dumping" a gun like this anytime soon.

as for the price IIRC i saw $1100 on a BPS semi waterfoul version up at gander mt last year

as for the scope..well there is a scope on my H&R but honestly its more wishful thinking due to the gun's lightweight

we would just have to come up with another short name since S-10 is a truck and all..

Edited by scoutjoe

BPS is the only affordable 10ga repeater out there as far as I know, and you're lucky to get one for $400. I would pick the synthetic version myself. I was watching one on Auctionarms for under $300, but it had some sort of prominent "residue" as they called it over the gun. Perhaps in retrospect a smith refurbishment job would have fixed it. I would like to get one some day.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about S-10. QS-10, maybe?

I have shot my buddies pump 10 gauge... I dont dream of ANYTHING in 10 gauge... I cant see the need. Other than to say "neener neener neener... nya nya... I got one... you dont.... :haha: " And thats it really...

:smoke:

The Russians make a 6 gauge shotgun out of rejected 23mm cannon barrels. I saw a picture of one in a military shotgun book. The writer wrote that special military or police forces use it to show how tough they are since it probably kicks extremely hard. Even if one was available in the US, getting ammo would probably be impossible.

Well, Those 20 MM cannon shells are always available on the net... maybe we can make a smoothbore that shoots those?!?! Just cut the ends square on the shells... ( Take off the shoulder) and make a big bore shotgun... Fuck those little girl-pussy-whipped nancy 10 gauges...

Well, Those 20 MM cannon shells are always available on the net... maybe we can make a smoothbore that shoots those?!?! Just cut the ends square on the shells... ( Take off the shoulder) and make a big bore shotgun... Fuck those little girl-pussy-whipped nancy 10 gauges...

Now your talking my language...I want to end up on my ass :killer:

I have shot my buddies pump 10 gauge... I dont dream of ANYTHING in 10 gauge... I cant see the need. Other than to say "neener neener neener... nya nya... I got one... you dont.... :haha: " And thats it really...

The Auto-5 is heavy and recoil operated and would tame that cartridge just enough to make it enjoyable.

The Auto-5 is heavy and recoil operated and would tame that cartridge just enough to make it enjoyable.

Ithaca Roadblocker?

Ithaca Roadblocker?

Been there, done that... no thanks.