Stock Angle on Conversions

Hello all,

Just purchased an S-12 & joined the site.

Bought a folding stock but have decided to sell it & do the conversion myself.

One question though, how importanat is the stock angle at back of receiver?

I noticed Tromix changes it in his conversion but don't really see any complaints from

the do it yourself conversions about the angle.

Oh yeah, great site here! :killer:

If you leave the angle alone, the stock ends up lining up with the barrel axis, which I think looks ok, like an AR:

post-1629-1176278360.jpg Stokstad's

But Tony thinks that the stock should line up with the line of the bottom of the receiver, which is more of an AK purist idea, and who can argue with that:

post-1629-1176278170.jpg Tritium's

I just had this discussion with our friend Cobra about two weeks ago.

Cobra recommended the ACE External (Universal) block to lower the angle of the stock. Also with the external block you dont need to mess with the tang (however most of our members comemented that they perfer to mess with the tang every now and then :P ) IMHO I dont think the external block looks as "clean" but it does make the stock angle better.

The photo below is the one that COBRA 76 II posted to show the external block.

Hey COBRA! Where are you?

post-4575-1176330649_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the replies so far.

I think the way Tromix does it definately has the aesthetic appeal.

Can't really say if it handles any differently tho.

Doing my own conversion sorta rules that out so JG, the Ace external

may be my best option. Any other ideas?

Edited by DNADuster

I still think the ACE stock looks like it tips up, not parallel with the barrel, if you don't cut the receiver. Typically your looking at 4-6 degrees off the bottom. Tony sells the back plates on his site, and if you look at Jammers business page you can see how it's tack welded on (not much work if you have access to a tig/mig welder). You can also easily cut the back with a table top belt/circular sander. The biggest thing is working the angle out so the stock sits properly when open, but also doesn't interfer with anything when folded, but still not a big deal to do.

The upward angle bugged me enough that I spent the extra money and got a Tromix converted gun. Of course I than installed a Magpul CTR stock on it. I figure for just a little more, I would be 100% happy with my gun. I don't plan on selling it (although I have said that before), so it is money well spent.

When I converted my own S-20, I used a K-Var/Arsenal folder that I got in a trade. It eliminated any problems with the angle and it locks up tight. It looks similar ACE external block but with a triangle metal AK folder.

K-Var/Arsenal stock