Saiga .223 (virgin)

Howdy... I ran up and bought a Saiga .223 today...

The first thing I noticed is that I don't know crap about the side rail on the left side... the guy at the gun store didn't have much info for me... so I am here hoping for some advice...

I want to get at least one extra 10 shot clip for now and am not sure what kind of scope I want/need. I'm basically a plinker with a 9mm but have some Ranger Ammo for "unwanted guests" as well as a mossberg pump with #4 and 00 buck.

I most often shoot skeet with an O/U.

This is a long winded way of saying I know jack squat about scopes and whatnot. I saw a "red dot" site on futureweapons that seemed very cool... a sort of put dot on subject, pull trigger and see hole where dot was kind of thing.

I also have shot a buddies 10/22 with just a plain old scope and that's lot's of fun... I'm a plinker for the most part (of course I do look for zombies and other unwanted guests, but, God willing, I will only need to kill a six pack and blow up clay pigeons before I go to Shane's Rib Shack for food; call me a puss if you will).

So... a) do I even need a scope or should I just "cowboy up" with the provided open sites or B) red dot neat-o gee whiz it or c) a reall goddam scope with crosshairs and whatnot.

A few things come to mind as a second part of that question: 1. how in the halls of hades does one use that side freaking bar and manage to get a scope up top of the frigging gun? 2. If I do put a scope, does that completely screw me for open sites; i.e. if the zombie gets closer than 50 yards, can I get a scop and mount that still let's me "peak" under it?

PLEASE BE KIND, I'M a casual shooter/plinker and very new to a lot of this... I bought my first gun last December (9mm Taurus), then got a Mossberg Pump 12ga, then had a buddy turn me on to skeet, so I got a Stoeger Condor O/U 12ga/20ga matched set and now I decided I wanted a Mini 14 Ranch Rifle from Ruger and then crapped my pants when the SRP book came in and I saw how much those damn things cost!!!

Help a (dumb) brother out??

The first thing I noticed is that I don't know crap about the side rail on the left side... the guy at the gun store didn't have much info for me... so I am here hoping for some advice...

I want to get at least one extra 10 shot clip for now and am not sure what kind of scope I want/need. I'm basically a plinker with a 9mm but have some Ranger Ammo for "unwanted guests" as well as a mossberg pump with #4 and 00 buck.

This is a long winded way of saying I know jack squat about scopes and whatnot. I saw a "red dot" site on futureweapons that seemed very cool... a sort of put dot on subject, pull trigger and see hole where dot was kind of thing.

I also have shot a buddies 10/22 with just a plain old scope and that's lot's of fun... I'm a plinker for the most part (of course I do look for zombies and other unwanted guests, but, God willing, I will only need to kill a six pack and blow up clay pigeons before I go to Shane's Rib Shack for food; call me a puss if you will).

So... a) do I even need a scope or should I just "cowboy up" with the provided open sites or B) red dot neat-o gee whiz it or c) a reall goddam scope with crosshairs and whatnot.

A few things come to mind as a second part of that question: 1. how in the halls of hades does one use that side freaking bar and manage to get a scope up top of the frigging gun? 2. If I do put a scope, does that completely screw me for open sites; i.e. if the zombie gets closer than 50 yards, can I get a scop and mount that still let's me "peak" under it?

PLEASE BE KIND, I'M a casual shooter/plinker and very new to a lot of this... I bought my first gun last December (9mm Taurus), then got a Mossberg Pump 12ga, then had a buddy turn me on to skeet, so I got a Stoeger Condor O/U 12ga/20ga matched set and now I decided I wanted a Mini 14 Ranch Rifle from Ruger and then crapped my pants when the SRP book came in and I saw how much those damn things cost!!!

First of all if you want kindness you came to the wrong sight O the'll help you with your questions BUT the'll have your credit card max out. From what I read your all ready done ,buying all those guns and skeet shooting on top of it, if that is'nt enough. I skeet and trap shoot and now I just finished my 3rd. Saiga conversion and my credit card is in shambles. My wife told me to stay away from Saiga 12.com the'll get you in trouble. But the scope mount I like and it's works very well is the AK to Weaver low mount from Tantal, rock solid, scope is up to you some like iron sights. I can shoot just as well out to a 100 yrds. with iron sights. Remember AK's were not in general made for minute of angle shooting although I bet some have done it. I don't know if there is a scope mt. to allow iron sights maybe someone else will know. But you made a nice choice with the 223 Saiga you'll have a lot of fun with it. you can get 10 rnd mags from Stanleys Pro shop.com if they still have them in stock. Enjoy

Thanks for the response!!! I actually bought mine at Stanley's Pro Shop (I drove up there so I would have to mess with paying the local gun shop a fee for the FFL transfer)... 2 hour drive, the wife got to shop at a few places, made both sides happy....

Yeah, I'll keep the side to weaver in mind, that probably is good since once I buy that "adapter" then I just look for a weaver mountable scope as opposed to some of the "all in one" side mounted scopes...

I'm not sure I'm in a hurry to convert my gun yet, but I have to admit the skeleton stock looks cool....

I want a top folding stock for my Mossberg.... so the wife just shakes her head and makes that Marge Simpson sound.... she just didn't know I'd become one of those "gun nuts".

I joked with her that since I can't go shoot my new Saiga yet, I'll load it up and march the perimiter of the house in case a bad guy comes so I can try it out....

I have enough hobbies, what the hell was I thinking? I am also a guitar player (I have 3 amps, 5 guitars, effects pedals)... I think I'll get into motorbike racing next.... might as well totally screw my credit forever!!!

Here's a siderail mount I use (cheap but effecive) = also allows side mount of a laser or a flashlight.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AKS006-44765-2712.html

Here are some cheap but effecive rings

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SCP607-1117-1491.html

The red dot sights are cool in my experience for close range 75 yards or so - you can spend a lot or very little if you are cheap like me some of the cheaper ones on this page work:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/30mm_beff.htm

I use a cheap 3X9X32 or 40 Scope for anything beyond 75 yards because I am old and my eyes suck

Something like this:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/3x_bfdg.htm

You made a wise choice buying a SAIGA great bang for buck. Don't expect it to shoot quarters - it's a battle type rifle - reliable a very accurate but not 1000 yard sniper accurate which is why I have not suggested more expensive optics as I think they would be overkill.

Best advice LOTS OF AMMO and practice. Just my opinion - your mileage may vary . . . have fun!

Edited by GunOwner

Many thanks, that cleared up what I need to do... and, yes, I agree, I didn't buy the gun to shoot 1" groups at 1000 yards...

Mainly I will plink, so buying 300 bucks in optics and whatnot for a gun that cost me $267 just don't make sense.

Now I am on the hunt for some extra mags... I don't have a warm fuzzy about the plastic magazine that came with it... it seems like that sucker will wear out.

I have a buddy who bought a Mini-14 and is quite angry about the price difference I paid this afternoon... so I think I did get a good gun for the money nonethelesss.

Here's a siderail mount I use (cheap but effecive) = also allows side mount of a laser or a flashlight.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AKS006-44765-2712.html

Here are some cheap but effecive rings

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SCP607-1117-1491.html

The red dot sights are cool in my experience for close range 75 yards or so - you can spend a lot or very little if you are cheap like me some of the cheaper ones on this page work:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/30mm_beff.htm

I use a cheap 3X9X32 or 40 Scope for anything beyond 75 yards because I am old and my eyes suck

Something like this:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/3x_bfdg.htm

You made a wise choice buying a SAIGA great bang for buck. Don't expect it to shoot quarters - it's a battle type rifle - reliable a very accurate but not 1000 yard sniper accurate which is why I have not suggested more expensive optics as I think they would be overkill.

Best advice LOTS OF AMMO and practice. Just my opinion - your mileage may vary . . . have fun!

If you live where Hi-Caps are available you probably want to check out dinzags section on this site and get a feedramp and mod some high caps - Dinzags page is here (great honest guy - I have dealt with him AAA++):

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=13403

If you are stuck in a 10 round max state (like me) this guy sells steel mags on eBay from time to time - if you email him he'll sell some direct - I bought 6 and 5 worked great one needed a little coaching - here's the link to his last (closed) auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-round-Steel-Saiga-M...1QQcmdZViewItem

Tormenting Mini-14 owners is fun, huh - especially when they are your shooting buddies :devil:

Have fun.

Edited by GunOwner
CC Permit for $40... it's like the wild west.

$40! that better be a lifetime license! CCW in NH is $10 for five years. :dollar: (GA is pretty cool though, been there done that, and lived to tell about. God Bless FT. Benning)

BTW...I too just ordered a .223 Saiga that should be at my FFL's shop in the next day or so, so I'm in the same boat as you. Lots to learn about mods and accessories. Good luck with your gun.

Live Free or Die!

• 3 weeks later...
CC Permit for $40... it's like the wild west.

$40! that better be a lifetime license! CCW in NH is $10 for five years. :dollar: (GA is pretty cool though, been there done that, and lived to tell about. God Bless FT. Benning)

BTW...I too just ordered a .223 Saiga that should be at my FFL's shop in the next day or so, so I'm in the same boat as you. Lots to learn about mods and accessories. Good luck with your gun.

Live Free or Die!

You think thats bad!!!! Try living in MA. I am on the border of NH I go to a NH Gun Store who knows I'm from MA. Almost every time I check out a gun I get the "That can't go to Mass" Now that Deval Patrick is the govenor its only gong to get WORSE. AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Free the criminals disarm the citizens thats his policy! Cost me well over $100 to get my Class A License, and its only for five years. I'm moving to NH first chance I get!

It's good to see that i'm not the only one from GA here. I live just north of Atlanta.

I bought my .223 Saiga this past Sat, and ran 100 rounds through it Sunday. I can't wait to play some more. I normally shoot once a week or so. My wife says that I spend too much money on ammo, but I can say the same about her designer purses. Aside from the Saiga, I shoot a Glock19, 1891 Argentine Mauser 7.65 x 54, High Point 9mm Carbine, Walther PPK/S, Ruger MKIII and the other half shoots a Springfield XD-9.

• 2 weeks later...

First, only M1 Garands and a few other guns have "clips." Most other guns, including the S-.223 have magazines. RE: optics. . .there ARE mounts that allow you to "peek" under to use irons, but then the dot is uncomfortably high. It's better to use a quick-release, low mounted side-rail optic and simply remove it if it craps out.