Last week I got to go to an outdoor range with my Saiga .410. As Cobra can attest, I am only ordinarily accurate at best at 25-50 yards (at least in my opinion) with .410 slugs. Cobra is much more accurate with my S-.410 than I am -- younger eyes and all that (oh, can you hear the excuses coming out?). So, I opted to not do the usual shooting from a bench thing and, instead, proceeded to execute a 'fire-and-maneuver' exercise.

I set up silouettes of animals and critters which were 4"x5" except one that was 3"x6". Started in the kneeling position and fired one shot, advanced quickly approx. 10 yards dropped to the kneeling position and fired two shots, advanced another 10 yards or so, dropped again to one knee and fired the fourth and final round of the magazine. Then checked the target (one silouette per each advance-and-fire routine). After having fired on all silouettes, I found I had hit the intended silouettes with each and every round -- well, except for one slugs the missed the muzzle of one critter by about 1/8". Target accurate? Nope! But combat accurate? Yup! I was happy with the results.

Nice to know I still remember Army training after all these years. Aw, heck! To be honest, it was probably as much a case of "Hey! I still got it!" as anything else. But it was fun.

Anyone else take their .410 on a similar "fire-and-maneuver" session? No, I don't mean the 3-gun matches -- the .410 would be seriously outgunned there.

Edited by Aethelbert
Last week I got to go to an outdoor range with my Saiga .410. As Cobra can attest, I am only ordinarily accurate at best at 25-50 yards (at least in my opinion) with .410 slugs. Cobra is much more accurate with my S-.410 than I am -- younger eyes and all that (oh, can you hear the excuses coming out?). So, I opted to not do the usual shooting from a bench thing and, instead, proceeded to execute a 'fire-and-maneuver' exercise.

I set up silouettes of animals and critters which were 4"x5" except one that was 3"x6". Started in the kneeling position and fired one shot, advanced quickly approx. 10 yards dropped to the kneeling position and fired two shots, advanced another 10 yards or so, dropped again to one knee and fired the fourth and final round of the magazine. Then checked the target (one silouette per each advance-and-fire routine). After having fired on all silouettes, I found I had hit the intended silouettes with each and every round -- well, except for one slugs the missed the muzzle of one critter by about 1/8". Target accurate? Nope! But combat accurate? Yup! I was happy with the results.

Nice to know I still remember Army training after all these years. Aw, heck! To be honest, it was probably as much a case of "Hey! I still got it!" as anything else. But it was fun.

Anyone else take their .410 on a similar "fire-and-maneuver" session? No, I don't mean the 3-gun matches -- the .410 would be seriously outgunned there.

Sounds like fun. I think I might try sometime if I can get my S.410 back together. Waiting for parts. Is yours converted or stock? and how well do the mags work?

Sounds like fun. I think I might try sometime if I can get my S.410 back together. Waiting for parts. Is yours converted or stock? and how well do the mags work?

Converted? Well, yes... and no. No because it hasn't been converted to PG configuration back to pretty much an AK look but yes... The shoulder stock has been shortened 1 3/4" to fit me. The shotgun front sight has been removed. A modified AK-74 front sight base and sight has been installed along with a modified AK-74 muzzle brake. Cooling slots have been put in the handguard and small cooling intake holes put in the underside of the handguard. No hi-cap mag.

The mods mentioned have resulted in a shorter, easier to handle shottie for me but without alarming some of my possibly weapon-phobic neighbors.

Edited by Aethelbert

Here it is after I shortened the stock and before I installed the Rusmilitary FSB and dinzag modded 74' brake. I don't think we ever got pics of it after that. D, Next time you come out to the range I'll shoot some pics if you remind me...

post-1293-1176813646_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1176813667_thumb.jpg

:up::up: Hey Cobra, good to hear from ya! Thanks for posting the photos. I cant even see where the stock was shortened. No nothing. I bet it swings up to the shoulder a lot faster. The vents on the handguards are different too, the one in the center being a bit larger. Aethelbert, looks like you got a one of a kind there, defanately post another pic with the front sight when you get a chance. :up::up:

Thanks Johnny Gun, yeah I tiptoe around some these days... :ph34r::angel:

Aethelbert did come by today for a few but it was a few beers instead of a photoshoot. Brought me a half case of St Pauli Girl and a few terrorist targets to kill! Thanks buddy! Damn fine gentleman! :up:

Arthelbert, It sounds like you have an unusual firearm there......so lets get out the digital and shoot a pic sir. I always like to see the weapons! :up:

Had to do a little digging but here they are...

1st shows how the shoulder stock was 'sliced-diced-n-glued'.

post-157-1176867858_thumb.jpg

Mo later.

Here are one or two more...

JohnnyGun,

Here's another...

post-157-1176868299_thumb.jpg

And the gun as a whole...

post-157-1176868400_thumb.jpg

As founding member of the 'Non-Compos-Mechanicus' ('Totally-Mechanically-Challenged') society, I would not have been able to do this without the guidance and aid of Cobra. Thanks, buddy!

Mmmmmm the AK front sight adds a lot to her "look". I too have a dinzaq front brake.

Does the front help your aim or do you feel that it is a more cosmedic addition?

Did you also remove the front bead that came on the Saiga??

OK this is a good time to post a new pic of my 410 and my new S-12. Ivan is on top and Nadia is on the bottom!

Going to the country this weekend and hope to have a "blast"!

post-4575-1176950907_thumb.jpg

Mmmmmm the AK front sight adds a lot to her "look". I too have a dinzaq front brake.

Does the front help your aim or do you feel that it is a more cosmedic addition?

Did you also remove the front bead that came on the Saiga??

OK this is a good time to post a new pic of my 410 and my new S-12. Ivan is on top and Nadia is on the bottom!

Going to the country this weekend and hope to have a "blast"!

Thank you for your kind words about her "look". The rifle sight is not just cosmetic but definitely helps me with target acquisition and then helps me to hold on target so that the slugs hit the target as aimed. Cobra is a better shot with it than I am -- he put 8 shots out of 8 fired on a full-sized silouette at 200 yards! Me? I'm happy being combat accurate with it at 50 yards.

The old bead front sight had to go. The threaded hole it had been in was filled in with a screw, ground smooth and then painted to match the Saiga black.

The addition of the weight of the new front sight and the Dinzaq muzzle brake is simply not noticeable. Maybe that's because I had the shoulder stock shortened or maybe they just don't weigh enough to affect the balance.

'Nadia' and 'Ivan' look great. Do they shoot as good as they look? Is that a laser sight on the .410?

Edited by Aethelbert

Aethelbert,

That is a cheepo laser on the 410, less than $20 for the laser & the bracket. Well ya get what ya pay for. It is accurate up close but when I shoot the thing unscrews its self and turns off :lolol: Sportsman Guide.

I put some lock tight on it and we will see if that helps. Ivan is a S-12 right out of the box with a camo paint job I put on him during a rainy Sunday, he operates as advertised and so far only one FTE, my first light load on the #1 setting, he ate the rest without a hick-up.

Nadia has never had a failuer to feed or eject with any ammo, she purrs like a sewing machine. I have not fired her since I swaped out the wooden thumbhole for the pistol grip & stock, but I dont see where that will make a difference. I think the muzzel brake is just cosmedic but the AK sight on the front really completes the "look". If it helps in aiming then it has become a must have! :P

I am headed into the woods this weekend and plan to give them a both workout with various boxes of cheep ammo I just got from the Sportsman Guide. I am hunting for Mercedies Benz in the woods this weekend ........ with any luck I will get myself a trophy! :super:

Aethelbert, sounds like fun, I still find myself picking up the 410 when its time to just have some fun, plinking and "playing".

I usually go with plastic bottles filled with water, instant hit recognition, and they are free, my kind of recycling. The 410 will make a good splash too, with slugs, of course... Plus the 410's are just plain "sexy" in my opinion.

Adding a front sight will almost double your sight radius. Mine didn't come with a rear sight, it just has a solid rib 11 1/2" long that had a bead at the front like the S-12 rib sights. By adding a windage adjustable rear notch sight to the front of the dustcover and putting the AKM sight on the muzzle I improved the sight radius to 19 3/4"...MUCH better! :super:

I have the brake threaded to the factory size threads and it indexes and locks on the detent pin. Groovy :smoke:

Just switched out that crapco folder finally and put a real AKM stock on there. Feels worlds better. Only thing I might add is a cleaning rod since the FSB has a holder for it.