Need help with a proper scope mount.

Well I did once again, try my damnedest not to clutter up the forum with novice posts. I looked at all the pictures those of you posted in the apropriate thread, a few things I couldn't see, and it seems most of you (from what pictures were posted) like the Halo setups and the rails that sit over the gas tubes.

I asked a few people about what to use for scope mounting on the rail built-in to the side of my Saiga...

There seems to be some differences out there to buy.

What I'm looking for is a "quick-release" mount with maybe a weaver/picatinny rail that goes up over the receiver. I've never used any of these "quick-release" designs; are they okay? Do they loosen up after firing so much? Are they sensitive to bumping moreso than a screw-down model?

I'm also thinking it'd be a lot easier to field-strip the weapon for cleaning without something so permanent.

I am not opposed to a scope/mount combo, some of the "Kobra Red Dot" setups looked pretty nice. Heck, the EOTech viewers looked really neat as well. I also came across this link of a mounting rail that was hinged and swung up to allow access to the receiver cover, but it wasn't available yet.

Anyway, enough of my rambling... where to start? Links for deals and proper equipment greatly apreciated.

KW

http://www.tickbitesupply.com/mount.html

Scroll down a bit on that page, there's a PSO weaver mount for a good price. I've bought from that guy, good service and fast shipping.

Here's the one I have on my Saiga. I had it on the receiver at first, but prefer the sight up front away from my eyes, so I did a little gunsmithing to get what I was after.

0000486ed8.jpg

Edited by methical160

Personally, I'd go with E-Tac's rail and slap an EOTech 553 on it. I know for a fact that Jammer's got a shipment of EOTech's coming in this week. I seen his rail in person and it's hands-down the way to go. There's a recent thread with some pics of the rail.

I've been doing a lot of "slapping" lately and so my gun funding has almost exceeded it's limits, for this month anyway. I like the EOTech sights' setup, however, I may hit a gun show or two to see in-person some overpriced things that I can the buy off the internet... Unless there's just some screamin' deal out there I can't pass up. I've seen Kobra Red Dot's before, my father's considering one for his AK underfolder, it was quite nice.

Thank you all for your suggestions, anyone else is welcome to (and please do) contribute ideas. Meanwhile I'm off to tickbitesupply and searching for some E-tacs...

KW

these seem like they need another piece atatched to the weapon that the mount connects to for removal, is that right?

All Saigas come with the sight mount rail already on the gun, so all you need is the scope mount.

these seem like they need another piece atatched to the weapon that the mount connects to for removal, is that right?

All Saigas come with the sight mount rail already on the gun, so all you need is the scope mount.

anybody got the bottom half of a quick relese mount lying around?

I have one of the ones from Blackjack Buffers (w/the 3 hex head screws) and one of the BP-02 from Eastwave... I first installed the BlackJack one on my converted s-308 w/a Burris compact 2-7 and didn't hardly have to do any scope changes for it alligned almost perfect. This is a strong mount and consistently held a 1 inch group @ 100 yrs; but I was after sometthing quick detach because I also have the Mojo Peep sights (They rock!!). I ordered and put on the Belarus BP-02 and had to nearly apply excess scope changes to get it zeroed and it wouldn't hold a zero like the other.... So I went back to the other and have the BP-02 on my S-12 witha reddot... Results may vary, but this was mine.

I have one of the ones from Blackjack Buffers (w/the 3 hex head screws) and one of the BP-02 from Eastwave... I first installed the BlackJack one on my converted s-308 w/a Burris compact 2-7 and didn't hardly have to do any scope changes for it alligned almost perfect. This is a strong mount and consistently held a 1 inch group @ 100 yrs; but I was after sometthing quick detach because I also have the Mojo Peep sights (They rock!!). I ordered and put on the Belarus BP-02 and had to nearly apply excess scope changes to get it zeroed and it wouldn't hold a zero like the other.... So I went back to the other and have the BP-02 on my S-12 witha reddot... Results may vary, but this was mine.

so you abanboned the quick release?... i'll take it

I could always just blaze some trails and get the sucker, it's not like someone else couldn't use it if it isn't what I need. Besides Saiga-12's seem to be trail by fire AND error at times.

KW

if the angle is too steep i think i can use it...

i only need the bottom half... as i wan't to use it to make a wall mount

or vehicle mount

KW, I've had good luck with this scope mount shown on the Kalinka site...note the term Low Profile.

POSP/PSO Low Profile AK, AKM, Saiga Side Mount to Weaver Rail ( #AMAKPOSPLPSMW )

Also, what kind of price are you looking at for the side mount, and or sight? My assumption is that your looking for a dot style, if so, you may wish to consider a KOBRA which will come with the rail. There have been some reports of failures on the KOBRA, and or battery deformation due to recoil, I think it's all a matter of how much and what your shooting. If your shooting competetively, or a lot of heavy loads it may not be the best choice, but for recreational shooting, I don't think you'll have much to worry about.

By the way, there are no stupid questions, or cluttering the S12 section when your asking questions about your gun or accessories for it. A lot of members came here fresh and have learned things they can share with you. Take your time, ask around,and do some shopping. Sometimes it just comes down to how much you want to spend vs what your needs are.

The Belarus, low mount was one that I've used and found to be pretty sturdy. The other thin rail ones you had pictured earlier might be good as well, I don't know, but with the recoil of the 12 I tend to feel more material and lower center of gravity will provide a better mounting platform.

I think the real trick might be the Docter/JPoint style with the small mount that sits in the dove tail. The only down that I've heard of is that sometimes the small sight doesn't deal with the recoil very well without a little special treatment which gets the cost up a bit.

Heh, I always know if you're around, Mcc, I can offer you my experimental/unwanted/unloved Saiga accessories. :lolol: That makes me a confident novice Saiga engineer.

KW

hell yeah... the drago stock may go on a matching .223 saiga

I'm actually having second thoughts about that! The stock along with Tony's Galil grip came in today, what a match-up! That stock is really great quality and feels great in the hand! The length of the whole rig is about 2" shorter, but I don't mind a long reach since it's longer than if I had moved the trigger group... we'll see how it fires for a while; I may keep it as-is! There IS a way to get the screw to go into the bottom "ring" on the receiver if you uncap the grip, but I see what you mean now; it'd be too much effort for little or no real improvement. I drilled out holes for the other two screws with zero problems. I'll still give you first shot at the stock if I ever decide to get rid of it, you have my word. :)

Thanks for the links too! That "clearance" weaver rail, on the first link, looks pretty good...

KW

KW, I've had good luck with this scope mount shown on the Kalinka site...note the term Low Profile.

POSP/PSO Low Profile AK, AKM, Saiga Side Mount to Weaver Rail ( #AMAKPOSPLPSMW )

Also, what kind of price are you looking at for the side mount, and or sight? My assumption is that your looking for a dot style, if so, you may wish to consider a KOBRA which will come with the rail. There have been some reports of failures on the KOBRA, and or battery deformation due to recoil, I think it's all a matter of how much and what your shooting. If your shooting competetively, or a lot of heavy loads it may not be the best choice, but for recreational shooting, I don't think you'll have much to worry about.

By the way, there are no stupid questions, or cluttering the S12 section when your asking questions about your gun or accessories for it. A lot of members came here fresh and have learned things they can share with you. Take your time, ask around,and do some shopping. Sometimes it just comes down to how much you want to spend vs what your needs are.

I'm glad you responded to this; I saw the picture of your rig, and the scope mount on the picture you posted is pretty much what I was looking for!

I'm glad to hear someone has dealt with Kalinka, for I read more than a few dissatisfied comments regarding their products and practice. I take all that with a grain of salt, but I'm hearing as many good things now as bad, so who knows. The low-profile mount looks excellent.

The kind of shooting I do is weekend troublemaking, fire, glass, open desert, general lead-flinging. What I'd like is a scope, not terribly expensive that could be used day or night, on a tested-and-approved mount so I don't have to keep zeroing in whatever I mount upon it. As far as money, I don't want to buy a scope that cost more than my Saiga, especially considering the shooting I do. Maybe $200, tops. I'd also really like to get the rail first and then go for a scope, my plan is to check some scopes/viewfinders at a gun show to handle and see so to avoid the "sight unseen" buying disappointment I find happens with things (like this and shoes) over the internet... Then after I find one I like I can safely buy something from anywhere. Unless the gun show has a good price on what I decide, which I doubt. Not around here, anyway. :lol:

No, my posts aren't stupid, they are most likely repetitive. I just don't want to step on anyone's toes here. Seems like there's enough of that going around... :rolleyes::lolol:

Thank you much for your help and responding.

KW

so you abanboned the quick release?... i'll take it

No, not abandoned...I just don't trust it on my s-308 for precesion work, the other mount holds a zero better. I do use the BP-02 on my S-12. I also found I had to adjust the lever on the bottom for more tension and tighten the screws that hold the rail alittle. I may try again on my 308 once I lock-tite the screws.... I was expecting better results than the aluminum mount, but didn't get them.