Which one 7.62x39 - .308?

I have been wanting a rifle for a while - I started out looking at an AR-15 - then a AK47 - and now I have discovered Saiga - and think this could finally be the one.

BUT WHICH ONE?

It will be an all purpose gun -

SHTF Zombie protection - Maybe hunt a few wild pigs - general paper puncher -

If it was just about cost - the 7.62x39 would be best - cheaper than the 308 to buy & shoot

But

I like the .308 because of the exta power - and assumption it has better accuracy - but doubt I will be shooting ranges much over 100 yards - so does it matter?

$100 more for the gun is not a show stopper - its the ammo cost that could add up over time.

The big difference, besides the obvious caliber difference is with the triggers. The .223 and 7.62x39's have decent triggers, better than an sks but not ideal. The .308's have a slightly different trigger arangement and so the pull is both back and up... some people find it distracting becuase the trigger moves up at least as much as it does backwards. If you plan to convert to pistol grip this issue will dissapear, and if you use a good USA trigger you will get a nice crisp trigger pull. If you plan to stay in stock configuration, you may want to try the .308 trigger before you buy- see if its an issue for you. That and 7.62x39 hicaps are cheap (10$+), the 20 round .308 mags are bit more costly (40+). .308's are slightly easier to convert because they don't need bullet guides or any alterations to the magazines.

I have been thinking the same thing. I decided to go with the 7.63x39. For me 100yrds is good for shtf situations and ammo is cheap so that means more practice without being broke. The more accurate the better...

SHTF Zombie protection - Maybe hunt a few wild pigs

I happen to have both and like them just fine. Both have been converted. They have G3 FCGs so the pull is real good. However, 308 is much better for pigs. I have seen them run off after 7.62x39 hits and smaller caliber.

One thing to consider is magazine cost.

If you convert a 7.62x39 then it will accept $8-$15 surplus magazines.

If you convert a .308 then you still have to pay $45 per mag and are limited to a maximum of 20 rounds per mag.

I own both and my x39 is my favorite, but that will probably change when I get the .308 converted.

I have both and I love both of them. The trigger on my 308 is actualy smoother and better than on my 7.62. Neither is converted yet ( waiting on parts )The 7.62 wins with mags and cheaper ammo but as far as true general purpose i would go 308.

I have both and I love both of them. The trigger on my 308 is actualy smoother and better than on my 7.62. Neither is converted yet ( waiting on parts )The 7.62 wins with mags and cheaper ammo but as far as true general purpose i would go 308.

+1 for what concho said. I too own both calibers, and for dropping havelinas and such the x39 is good (not using FMJ, of course). But if the opportunity for hunting larger game presents itself, you would be severely limited with the x39. The .308 is a much better option for shots over 100 yds. and for accuracy; but mostly for efficient dispatching of the game (one shot, one kill.....it's a hunter's ed thing). Just my .02.....

+1 for what concho said. I too own both calibers, and for dropping havelinas and such the x39 is good (not using FMJ, of course). But if the opportunity for hunting larger game presents itself, you would be severely limited with the x39. The .308 is a much better option for shots over 100 yds. and for accuracy; but mostly for efficient dispatching of the game (one shot, one kill.....it's a hunter's ed thing). Just my .02.....

From an old timer,

After shooting for over 45 years, I can tell you that the most fun you are going to have with any firearm is when you get to shoot it.

When I am at the range and it is a perfect day, the weather is beautiful, not too many shooters and I am really having fun, then I quit only when I run out of ammo. I used to shoot 200-300 rounds of 9mm on a day like that, but I was reloading and it was only costing me about 6 cents a round to shoot. Unless you reload the cost of the .308 is fairly high.

I guess I am running on, but my point is the cost of the ammo to shoot. How many times are you going to be worried that your 100 yard shot on that wild hog might not be as accurate in 7.62?

I bet for every shot you take hunting, you will shoot 100 or more at the range.

MHO,

louielouie

ex-reloader (Every time I went to the range I ended up picking up brass half the time I was there. I finally decided to get out of reloading and just shoot).