another .223 tool!

I needed another .223 sidkick for my saiga .223 but could not find a 20 inch saiga ; so i bought a .223 pistol-plr-16!

I've been thinking about doing the same (to save on length), but frankly, I have been put off by a few 'kaboom' posts relating to this manufacturer.

Anyone have any real info? It would be very much appreciated...

go to the keltec range and do some reading there. I thought the Su-16 was hot stuff until I read about how using Russian ammo is Russian roulette and how the reciever is polymer. I love my saiga too much to put its owner in that kind of danger!

A few quotes:

"I contacted Kel-Tec and they said DO NOT use anything other than brass cased ammo in their guns."

"I have purchased a new plr 16 . a very nice looking firearm dressed out. But it has a major problem under live fire. IT WILL NOT EXTRACT THE FIRED CASE. have used factory mag. as well as 3 different american military mags. no luck. ammo used was m855, m193 and s109. Same problem."

etc...

I have a keltec su-16 and does have it's share of extraction problems. First off the barrels aren't chrome which a big part of the problem. My rifle will get a shell stuck so tight the extractor will rip a chunk out of the rim. I have found that before I go shooting with it I need to clean the chamber really good with a chamber brush and brake cleaner. Also I need to stick with either brass case or steel case for that shooting session or it seems like I have problems. It's too bad because it's a cool little rifle and the trigger is better than a stock saiga. It is mainly a range gun just because of the reliabilty issues. I have also talked to Kel-Tec about steel case ammo and they say not to use it because of extraction issues not receivers blowing up. They are probably getting tired of people sending rifles back for extraction problems because of steel case ammo. Now my saiga will eat just about anything all day long. Mark

Edited by railroader

Why not just go with the V-53 pistol from Vector Arms. Mine EATS ammo, but only problem is controlling it when rapid firing. One of the sliding stocks would (seemed to help), opps HELP it, but that would require the tax stamp. With the price of wolf ammo going thru the roof, try www.wisconsincartridge.com and try their 223 ammo, for only a few dollars more per 500 or 1000, you can get brass case ammo, and there is no shortage. Ran 200 rounds of the V-Max thru my Bushmaster at the range on Monday morning, UNTIL the BOSS called and caught me. "But Baby, you know that my gun was having problems, I HAD to see if we got it fixed, yes Baby, I'll be get my ass back to work ASAP". :):) With the new bolt and carrier, the AR runs like a Singer sewing machine, no more BANG BANG JAM, just THUMP THUMP THUMP as it should be.

The V-53 or 93 evidently don't care what they use, but I have found that the Wisconsin ammo is cleaner than the wolf, and now competitive, and in brass case. Another 2000 rounds ordered tonight, 1000 of it is V-Max, 1000 PSP.

Cool! Hadn't seen one with a forend and break. I'm not wild about the plastic but then again its supposed to be light weight. I'm still going the v-53 route, kinda have to now, already bought mags a great price.

I have one and think it's the tits. Eats any ammo I feed her and is very accurate.

As soon as I move (Aug) I'm filling out a Form 1 and turning her into an SBR.

PLR3.jpg

PLR5.jpg

The tri-rail consists of two UTG clamp-on rails (some fitting required), 1 long and 1 short. I've since changed the rail covers out and added an A2 flash suppressor. She's gonna be mean when she's SBR'd. I'm thinking Galil style shorty folder and a MP5k style forward grip.

Edited by DavePAL84