Purple Haze, .223 Clean Up.

Gents,

I brought home my new Saiga .223 yeasterday, and proceeded to start to clean it with GunScrubber. To my horror, as the chemical started to do its job, this purple substance satrted to run off the rifle. I thought it was the damn finish, but as the rifle dried off the black finish seemed to stay. The trigger itself lost a bit of finish at the tip.

Anyone have a similar experience???. What is this crap? Is it preservative?. By the way, the dealer allowedme choose another rifle, this time the performance sheet listed a 4 shot group size of 107mm or 4.32 inches at 100m.So I was happy.

Thanks, USMCM16A2

Jimi Hendrix stuff came out of your gun?

Some times you will find some extra paint that don't stick to the finish, I have seen

that when gun are over phosphate ( left to long on the phos to bate and Phos accumulates)

and after it gets paint, some the stuff runs out as you clean it.

Never have seen on a Saiga but on poor done finishes on other guns.

Edited by vjor
Gents,

I brought home my new Saiga .223 yeasterday, and proceeded to start to clean it with GunScrubber. To my horror, as the chemical started to do its job, this purple substance satrted to run off the rifle. I thought it was the damn finish, but as the rifle dried off the black finish seemed to stay. The trigger itself lost a bit of finish at the tip.

Anyone have a similar experience???. What is this crap? Is it preservative?. By the way, the dealer allowedme choose another rifle, this time the performance sheet listed a 4 shot group size of 107mm or 4.32 inches at 100m.So I was happy.

Thanks, USMCM16A2

Yes, it was the finish.

I completely removed all the paint from my .223 with alcohol and 4/0 steel wool.

The alcohol turned purple.

I saw the purple stuff when I cleaned the action of my 223 but not with the 308. The paint looks the same after cleaning both. If I remember my chemistry it was some kind of manganese (Mn) salt. I have also seen purple staining in water that was rich in Mn. I smelled an ammonia odor when sprayed with bore scrubber.

Strange....when I sprayed my internals down after I bought it, the cosmoline that was on the parts ran off in a purple rush.

Sure it was the paint?

(how do you delete a post?).

No idea - I've had 'second thoughts' (or corrective input, ' thanks again! ;>) before, myself, personnally, so I can identify! Try the Saiga.com 'e-mail,' or post a 'mea culpa.' Both work here (ask me how I know ;>)...

i've notice this purple stuff too. A bit too much Hoppes #9 powder solvent and I had purple stuff dripping onto the work bench. I freaked out thinking I'd ruined the finish I can't seem to find any damage anywhere. thanks 7.62x51 for clearing that up :up:

--Coma8Coma1

• 2 weeks later...
So, does this stop after a while?

I've had my .308 a few months now and I still get purple run off every time I clean the thing.

i think the trick is just simply keep it off the finish. i was cleaning the Saiga .223 the other night and once again i let the Hoppes Powder Solvent get on the finish (ran out the muzzle and onto the barrel). Purple stuff again. :P Go figure.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have a .223, but I have a 7.62x39mm and the same thing happened the first time I cleaned it. I even used brake cleaner to blast it all out. A little purple and black came out, nothing major. Finish is still intact and not worn down or compromised in any way.

However, the finish on the Saiga is definately a weak point. I guess you can't get everything for $236!!! LOL. I'm used to blasting out my AR-15's with brake cleaner (cause it is easy, fast and does the best job ever) since they are filthy rifles. It gets them better than inspection clean in no time. Then spray them with CLP and use an aircompressor to blast out the excess oil and it also spreads it into every tiny space as well as creates a perfect thin film that gives the "wet look" but without dripping. In 5 minutes I can do what it would take 2 hours by hand to do and do it better.

The Saiga doesn't need that kind of cleaning though. Even when really filthy - all you really need to do is wipe down the bolt & carrier with a rag to remove carbon ...maybe use a brush on the bolt face to get rid of crud around the extractor, then give it a good cleaning with oil. Oil works just as well as Hoppes for removing powder fouling and grunge - and it lubricates at the same time and you're done. Oil rag with some minor brushing at key points is all that is needed for this platform. I like CLP. It works. Every 2,000 rnds, take off the piston tube and hit it up with a shotgun brush, then pull a thin rag through it 3-4 times. That will keep super hard carbon from building up. 5 minute job tops.

I love the low maintenance of the Saiga.

same story on my new x39......

A little two liberal with the Hopps and then come the Purple Haze.....I'd have to say it's the paint, as I had already cleaned off the preservative.

CLP doesn't seam to bother it......but boy does that stuff wreek!!

I'd agree with the guy who said that quality of the finish is the weakest feature of Saiga's rifles.

Oh well......it's utilitarian by design.....I have other rifles for the beauty pageant.