Is the part circled a "Sear" or not?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Is the part circled a "Sear" or not?

• Yes, that IS a sear.
    • No, that is NOT a sear.
    • Why are you asking me? Go bug the ATF or somthing.

I would like to keep this discussion academic. I am trying to identify the part which is circled in red in these two pictures. Picture one is the familiar Tapco FCG, the area circled is a portion of what we all commonly refer to as the "Trigger". In picture two, the part circled in red is from a stock Saiga FCG- it's name is in dispute. I believe these two circled parts are virtualy the same, the difference being the presence or absence of a trigger.

Wikipedia defines a "sear" as: "In a firearms, the sear is the part of the trigger mechanism which holds the hammer or striker back until the correct amount of pressure has been applied to the trigger; at which point the hammer or striker is released to discharge the weapon. The sear may be a separate part or can be a surface incorporated into the trigger."

I have tried to label the parts accurately.

Picture one: gallery_4097_142_3765.jpeg

Picture two: gallery_4097_142_29771.jpg

<I should add, the Disconnector is visible in pic 2, however it may not be easily distinguished from the part in question.>

So, please share your opinion regarding this.

Edited by JK-47

I see you are still splitting hairs and trying to rewrite the rules as we know them. That part that is called the trigger, in a G-2 FCG, is the same as in an AK. That part is called the trigger (even though woookiepedia says it is a sear) In a real AK the sear is another part that is not even present in the G-2 OR the Saiga FCG.

Look at the list from soupbowl.

That part that you have labled as the trigger in the Saiga FCG is nothing other than a lever that operates a transfer bar that operates the "trigger" as far as the ATF is concerned. Take the G-2, whack the trigger off the bottom and that part is STILL THE TRIGGER. That is exactly what the Russians did so they could sell us these damned abominations of the AK platform.

There are THREE parts to the Saiga FCG that are considered to be from the list.

1. Hammer

2. Trigger

3. Disconnector

in an AKM, the SEAR is what makes it full auto or 5 round burst. there are only multiple disconnectors at that point.

typically, an average american made 22 has a sear. it actually serves as a disconnector as well. the bolt throws back, it pushed the sear down to disconnect your trigger, and you have to let off to fire again.

In an AKM, the sear itself does something different, holds the hammer ALMOST all the way back when the trigger is depressed (seperate part is mainly what it is mechanically) and relies on disconnectors or multiple ones in the case of 5 round burst, to do the same job. which is why a sear on some semi autos is ok and part of the gun, and on some the sear is what the NFA part is based on.

more paperwork for people like the atf. thats a LOT of gun models and types to fully catalog.

so. TECHNICALLY< that top hook on the trigger is becomind what you PERCIEVE as the sear, by normal methods. in THIS gun's case, it is not.

sorry if im a little vauge, its 2am. trying to explain what's confusing you and why I think it is, is all.

so. TECHNICALLY< that top hook on the trigger is becomind what you PERCIEVE as the sear, by normal methods. in THIS gun's case, it is not.

sorry if im a little vauge, its 2am. trying to explain what's confusing you and why I think it is, is all.

Nope, the disconector will be the sear on and semi auto rifle like AR15 and AK, on a flintlock rifle

yes it will be like you describe, now on a full auto you will have a full auto sear.

• 3 weeks later...

I only see red Xs for pics.

As far as sears and AKs go, yes there's the full auto sear. Wiki clearly states that the sear can be integrated into a trigger, which is the case in the semi-auto mode of the AK, and semi-auto variants.

So you can call it a trigger, call it a sear - it's two parts in one.

Where things get complicated is when they break it into two different pieces, like on the Saiga design. The trigger and the item that lets go of the hammer when the trigger is pulled (also known as a sear) are functionally two different parts.

What federal LE agencies think is anyone's best guess.

So you can call it a trigger, call it a sear - it's two parts in one.

What federal LE agencies think is anyone's best guess.

I agree, the hooks are functionally a sear, but since they are part of the trigger it's moot.

If you want to call it two parts, you are only adding one to both sides of the equation.

Guess. Then manufacture evidence to support guess.

think?

Erring on the side of caution would be to consider the Saiga to have 4 pieces in its FCG and the other semi-auto AKs to have 3.

The only way the Saiga wouldn't have 4 is if one wasn't considered a listed part when it could be, or they were considered to still be connected when they aren't.

The ATF letter stating that Saiga shotguns have 13 parts is not something I put a lot of faith in at all. I would consider them to have 15. That way when they change their mind I'm not in a bad position.

My thought is to advertise caution, and if you're not being cautious then please don't advertise it.