Yep... just like a galil type setup. Essentially the selector is joined to the safety lever. The selector and safety become one piece, and pivot/rotate together.

This is important when you have a stock that folds to the right...perhaps even underneath in some cases. Less fumbling.

Left hand folding isn't so much an issue since you have full access to the safety....but again, less hand movement is good.

Always nice to see that on an S12.

Anything that keeps hands from moving to different positions is a good thing.

Nice job on it :)

~S

Actually on an inverted push foreward to fire selector they are not attached to one another as one piece. On an inverted selector the left hand selector pivots on the grip mount block then there is a link that goes from the left selector to a stud on the right selector. To us Americans it seems like the way it should be, but I don't like it. A Full-auto left selector from a Galil like whatmanual described would be better. To late to change it however. Here is the Full-auto selector. this is not what is in my gun, but this is what I will use next time. To the rear for fire is actually more natural like wiping off a 1911 safety

Sigalilsafety.jpg

Edited by LEO

Have to give you credit on that one, the inverted safety is a trip and I like it better than the FA version. I cant understand why the inverted units used a shorter throw lever, it's the only down side in my mind but it still beats having to hook it with your thumb to pull back.

This is a little off topic, but did you do a build with a nephew or somthing a while back? I thought we had a member doing a Galil look a like in .223/7.62 that had mentioned an Uncle LEO helping out and that build looked pretty good too.

Have to give you credit on that one, the inverted safety is a trip and I like it better than the FA version. I cant understand why the inverted units used a shorter throw lever, it's the only down side in my mind but it still beats having to hook it with your thumb to pull back.

This is a little off topic, but did you do a build with a nephew or somthing a while back? I thought we had a member doing a Galil look a like in .223/7.62 that had mentioned an Uncle LEO helping out and that build looked pretty good too.

Yep that was me. He kind of pissed everyone off when he posted it, but he is a kid and thinks what I built him is better than everyone else's. I'm not going to argue with him about that nor would I argue with anyone else about their build being the best. They are all different and what the owner/builder considers the best. I sure appreciate all the kind words I received on this one. I did the Galil conversion years ago and carried it for a while but it had the original sights. Then I saw one of the guys here that used a Hadar top cover with AR sights so I kind of copied his sights. It still needs a decent paint job and maybe a Galil charging handle and trigger guard. Oh yea I like the hook your thumb and pull back better. you can sweep it just like a 1911.

Thanks to all, for the compliments.

It wasn't a Galil it was a Saiga-1274. It has a detachable gas tube and the paint on it sucks as well. I need to send them both to someone for a good refinish.

Saiga-1274.jpg

HPIM0073.jpg

HPIM0081.jpg

Edited by LEO

OK Guys:

Dang y'all wont listen.

Inverted:

Selector lever left (inverted) semi auto

Selector lever link (inverted) semi auto

Selector lever link rivet (inverted) Semi auto

Pistol grip base (inverted) semi auto

Pistol grip base pin (inverted) semi auto

That is 88.00 worth of parts. they don't list a semi auto right selector, but IMI did make full auto's with inverted selectors and they are listing a couple of the inverted parts as full auto. You'll have to call them here is the link to the "full auto" right selector. I don't know weather it is inverted or not. if it is that will add another 43.90 to your total making it $131.90 plus shipping.

Right selector?

Be advised GPC is terrible about shipping the wrong parts. If you order from the links above you may get a mis match of inverted and standard parts. I didn't order my parts from GPC I ordered them from Dano. He is no longer is in the Galil parts business

Another source for Galil parts and they may have the inverted right selector (at least they will know what it is)

Blackthorn products

OK Suppose you find the parts lets talk about installing them (I'll never do that again)

First you'll need to slot your receiver.

Galilslot.jpg

You'll have to open the rear trunnion so that it will clear the inverted parts. use a keyseat cutter and remove a portion of the bottom left of the trunnion cut it about half way through the lower front rivet so that the rivet will stay attached if you remove the scope mount like I did then replace the back scope mount rivet prior to clearencing the back trunnion. Don't cut the trunnion all the way off you can leave about .060 where it is clearanced. Now if you are doing an S-12 you have to remove .020 from the back of the right selector the other calibers shouldn't need this except maybe the 20ga. I don't know.

Now fit the inverted parts inside the weapon like this:

galilsaf1.jpg

Here are a couple more photos to help you find that right selector.

galilsaf2.jpg

galilsaf3.jpg

Or you can get the full auto selectors from Blackthorn $30.00 for the right selector and $45.00 for the left selector. You'll still have to remove .020 to .030 from the back of the right selector and you'll have to remove .050 to .060 from the left side of the left selector stud that goes through the larger hole in a Galil receiver or enlarge the hole in your Sagia receiver. It is a lot easier install and I think it works better. Oh Yea the S-12 top cover looks like shit with the Galil right selector there is a big gap.

Edited by LEO
Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Since this mod needs a Hadar II top cover you dont happen to have a source for those too do you? :P

Nope: I posted a WTB on Uzitalk and found one. I don't know of any suppliers that have them. Blackthorn has Micro Galil parts and they may have the Micro top covers which are very similar to the Hadar top cover.

I think that Blackthorn is related to Vulcan. Some of the parts are good and some not so good. That top cover looks like they made it up on a standard AK top cover. If that is the case it won't fit a S-12 because a Galil top cover is wide with a pressed in edge where it fits to the receiver. With the Galil top covers I put the pressed in area in my milling machine vise and press it which takes a little off the pressed in part out. That makes the top cover wider where it fits the receiver. A standard AK top cover is strait on the sides it doesn't have the little pressed in part and I don't think you could ever get it to fit a S-12. If they are making those top covers up you could see if they could do it on an RPK top cover which is as wide as an S-12. If those top covers were real live Galil top covers then they would have a flat pressed out of the sheet metal where the rear sight sits. Sorry I don't think it will work. As far as the selector to top cover fit I just got lucky there, but I still had to weld a selector stop to the top cover or it doesn't fit that well right behind the selector and it doesn't have a positive stop when you put it on safe.

• 3 years later...
It has a left side safety also. Yes my paint job sucks.

Sagilil4.jpg

where can i find that top cover?

LEO,

Could you post some pics and info on how you did your inverted safety mod? I didn't completely understand your explanation of the milling process. I do know about the hole on the left side of the receiver though. I've done that mod already. I have installed a full auto version on my WASR, but really don't like the safety in reverse. Red Jacket is installing a inverted safety on rifle they are making for me and I want my S12 to match it. I'm very courious on how you achieved this because the receiver is wider on the S12. any help will be greatly appriciated.

Thank you.

I even found a dust cover http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=226155494 and bought it. It has the original rear sight. I don't want the rear sight though. I'm going to remove it.

Edited by ARMOR

Sagilil4.jpg

LEO,

Could you post some pics and info on how you did your inverted safety mod? I didn't completely understand your explanation of the milling process. I do know about the hole on the left side of the receiver though. I've done that mod already. I have installed a full auto version on my WASR, but really don't like the safety in reverse. Red Jacket is installing a inverted safety on rifle they are making for me and I want my S12 to match it. I'm very courious on how you achieved this because the receiver is wider on the S12. any help will be greatly appriciated.

Thank you.

Dang:

I built this thing after the ban and then posted this about 8 years ago. The reverse selector parts are as far as I know unavailable at this time. The machine work is illustrated in one of the photos I posted. You have to cut a slot for the left selector lever and you also have to machine the left trunion leg down to almost nothing. The S-12 receiver is wider on the outside than any other AK except an RPK, but it is the same on the inside. The right hand Galil selector needs .020 material removed from the inside between the receiver and selector lever to fit an S-12 other than that the conversion will be identical to your Saiga rifle conversion done by Red Jacket. If you want to see some photos let me know, but get the reverse parts first. I'm pretty sure you can't get them, but if you have a set let me know and I'll give you whatever info you need. I'm fixing to do a Bullpup within the next year or so and I'll guarantee it will be cool. This selector is really not ideal. a well made flip it down with your index finger type selector would actually be better I believe.

Sagilil4.jpg

LEO,

Thank you.

Dang:

I built this thing after the ban and then posted this about 8 years ago. The reverse selector parts are as far as I know unavailable at this time. The machine work is illustrated in one of the photos I posted. You have to cut a slot for the left selector lever and you also have to machine the left trunion leg down to almost nothing. The S-12 receiver is wider on the outside than any other AK except an RPK, but it is the same on the inside. The right hand Galil selector needs .020 material removed from the inside between the receiver and selector lever to fit an S-12 other than that the conversion will be identical to your Saiga rifle conversion done by Red Jacket. If you want to see some photos let me know, but get the reverse parts first. I'm pretty sure you can't get them, but if you have a set let me know and I'll give you whatever info you need. I'm fixing to do a Bullpup within the next year or so and I'll guarantee it will be cool. This selector is really not ideal. a well made flip it down with your index finger type selector would actually be better I believe.

I'm a little unclear about the .020 material being removed? Rear trunion, no problem. Cutting a slot in the receiver, again no problem. I have done it to a WASR for the full auto selector, wich I have two extra by the way. Is the Galil grip nut bigger?

This is my WASR

I just bought all of this

http://www.gunbroker...?Item=226155494

http://www.gunbroker...?Item=226138099

http://www.gunbroker...?Item=226133056

http://www.gunbroker...?Item=226140456

I think I have everything covered. Hell, I might just do my SLR-106UR also.

post-27155-0-87319900-1304219234_thumb.jpg

Edited by ARMOR

I'm a little unclear about the .020 material being removed? Rear trunion, no problem. Cutting a slot in the receiver, again no problem. I have done it to a WASR for the full auto selector, wich I have two extra by the way. Is the Galil grip nut bigger?

This is my WASR

Armor:

The .020 to be removed from the Galil selector is because the S-12 has a 1.5mm thick receiver making it approximately .040 wider (.020 on each side) than a Galil. I actually filed the back side of the Galil selector until it fit. I don't think the Galil grip nut is larger than an AK. That should be the only difference between the AK that you have already done and an S=12.