Hello all!!

I am new to this forum... some of you may or may not recognize me from boards such as ak-47.net and glock talk.... I have been lurking around here for a bit gathering info and I am excited to say that I just had my local gun guy order me a .308 saiga the other day for 385 out the door.

I just wanted to say hello and thanks in advance as I am sure I will have some questions!

as for brl length he ordered both and I will be picking that upon inspection....

lol it sucks....

I feel like I have a ton to learn....

I want to order my parts to convert the gun, but I am still not sure what I will be doing as far as a conversion....or what parts I will need or exactly how to do the 308 conversion..... I have seen the one conversion floating around the net, but I have read that the 308 is different.....

I am still unsure if I will go 16" and traditional with a kobra

or

21.5? and a scope with a thumbhole type stock and bipod....

lol it sucks....

I want to order my parts to convert the gun, but I am still not sure what I will be doing as far as a conversion....or what parts I will need or exactly how to do the 308 conversion..... I have seen the one conversion floating around the net, but I have read that the 308 is different.....

or

I see saiga makes a factory thumbhole type stock....skeleton style?.... If I utalize this stock will I have to swap any parts out since this is a factory stock? what if I use a 20 round mag?

Thanks

Jayak

lol it sucks....

or

I see saiga makes a factory thumbhole type stock....skeleton style?.... If I utalize this stock will I have to swap any parts out since this is a factory stock? what if I use a 20 round mag?

Thanks

Jayak

If you want to swap out the skeletonized stock for the standard one you will still be in compliance. However, if you use the 20 round magazines then your rifle become an assault rifle and you can only have 10 import parts. You would just have to swap out some imports for USA made parts. But then again, who is going to check?

Welcome.

If you're like many of us, you will soon have both bbl lengths. I like them both. My folder 16 is nifty, and the 21 has a real unique Rusky gun feel to it.

I am thinking next maybe a .223 they have them for 259....

I hope my 308 gets here soon they have been on back order since march.....

lol it sucks....

or

the only difference is you don't have to worry about the extra fcg pins, as they aren't there in the .308

Also the selector in the .308 is different. It may need to be modified to work with a Tapco G-2.

lol it sucks....

or

the only difference is you don't have to worry about the extra fcg pins, as they aren't there in the .308

Also the selector in the .308 is different. It may need to be modified to work with a Tapco G-2.

I plan on getting a romy selector

:)

or

I am no Saiga expert but I picked up my .410 back in 2000. I started telling some of my friends how much I liked it and that the 16" .308 might be great for deer. Well, 3 of my buds took my adivce so now I finally got around to grabbing a 16" myself.

I am no 800 yard sniper, but my 16" shot some good groups at 50 yards first time out. I like how it handles so much that I am already thinking I need a second 16" to do a full conversion on. It makes sense to own 2 of any platform and this is my only .308. If I do that I will go back and put some real glass on the stock rifle. I do not feel like I am giving anything up by sticking with the 16" barrel in both guns since I do not see any shots over 400 yards.

I also like shorter guns for crawling around in the brush and up and down inclines and uneven terrain. So I would say start with the 16" and if you get the fever then get the longer barrel due to the fact these guns are such a great value price wise.

That is how this Saiga .308 newb made his decision.

I've never gotten crazy and mic'd my groups, but I shot my 308 with the stock 21.5 config and then after chopping the barrel off to 16". I think I'm getting better accuracy with the 16", but you have to figure in a better trigger, pistol grip, etc.

There's been argument that the 16" offers less barrel "flex" and is therefore more accurate than the 21.5". I couldn't say.