Double Hook vs Single Hook Trigger

So after some research and seeing how simple it is going to be to do the basic conversion of my .308, i have decided to start to purchase parts and get it underway.

What is the difference between the tapco double and single hook triggers? Which is best in your opinion?

Also looking at the conversion page http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/

I assume that i only really have to move the trigger group back, add pistol grip and buttstock and not modify the front trunion or bullet guide. Is that assumption correct?

Also to those who have done this, what is the approximate time of completion for a first timer?

Trunion is not modified, and bullet guide is not applicable with the .308 like it is in the smaller calibers.

Good luck! I love mine!

Yeah thats what i figured, but what about the different triggers?

Kaiser i'm currently in the same boat as you. from what i have read on this forum the RSA trigger seems to have fewer fit and function issues vs the tapco (nothing that can't be fixed with a little extra time and effort). now the tapco is less money vs the RSA.

my understanding of the tapco single and double hook triggers is that the single will get the job done. the double is more true to the original ak design and is not really needed. i will say that my romainian ak has the G2 and it is single hook and works great

Someone please correct me if i have stated anything that is incorrect

Zebra

my understanding of the tapco single and double hook triggers is that the single will get the job done. the double is more true to the original ak design and is not really needed.

Zebra

Agree.

The biggest time consumer is removing the old trigger plate. If you happen to have good luck removing the spot weld by drilling it though, you are well on your way, the rest is more or less fitting and not surgery. First timers may take a couple hours, mainly just confirming you're doing the right thing and not the wrong thing.

Using the tapco trigger involves only removing the front "bump" on the outside of the "pin" hole of the hammer, and then possibly trimming a bit off if you choose to retain the bolt hold open. I've just gotten rid of the bolt hold open and used the tapco trigger as is, as the BHO tends to pinch my trigger finger when shooting. Getting the BHO spring in on the s308 that I retained the BHO on was the biggest PITA of the whole process, so if you can just as well skip that, then all the better IMO. The real mccoy doesn't have a BHO and it's kind of awkward even if it's retained. If it automatically held it open on the last shot, then great for reloading and indicating that you're done blasting. But actually it's pretty much just the same as jamming a used case in it to prove that there's not a live round in the chamber

The single hook can be tuned up better by honing the sear and hammer surfaces where they meet than having to do the same on both sides of a double hook trigger. I suppose the double hook might be more true to the AK's rugged heritage, but then again maybe it's just overcompensation for lousy metallurgy.

Yeah thats what i figured, but what about the different triggers?

I have installed the Tapco single hook trigger groups on my WASR-10 and my .308 .

The .308 was a bit of a pain... But , both of them have the the smoothest trigger pulls of any of my (......many....) firearms. Everyone that has fired them has said the same thing.

I am very pleased with them.

Is there a tutorial on the G2 single hook?

A tutorial for what?

The AK47 had double hook triggers for reduncancy, but after they found the triggers never broke, they went with a single hook trigger in the AKM.

Some folks SWEAR they get a smoother trigger with double hooks. Some folks SWEAR they get a smoother trigger with the single hook.

I've had 0 problems with all my builds with Tapco G2 sets. The AK is not designed as a "target platform" so a crisp trigger isn't worth the money, imho. Believe me, you'll appreciate the Tapco G2 over the factory saiga trigger immediately (the factory trigger has more bends than a snake and more creep than Crispin Glover)

Is there a tutorial on the G2 single hook?

A tutorial for what?

The AK47 had double hook triggers for reduncancy, but after they found the triggers never broke, they went with a single hook trigger in the AKM.

Some folks SWEAR they get a smoother trigger with double hooks. Some folks SWEAR they get a smoother trigger with the single hook.

I've had 0 problems with all my builds with Tapco G2 sets. The AK is not designed as a "target platform" so a crisp trigger isn't worth the money, imho. Believe me, you'll appreciate the Tapco G2 over the factory saiga trigger immediately (the factory trigger has more bends than a snake and more creep than Crispin Glover)

I thought there was some filing to do, the G2 not a perfect fit or something?

Thanks!

Edited by Nomad
I thought there was some filing to do, the G2 not a perfect fit or something?

Thanks!

Nope, they're drop in. I'd not file anything in the trigger group, unless there is a need. If there is a need, you have other problems and should look into them.

They literally are 'drop in'.

Here's how to give the G2 the old 'in-out': http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/fcgremoval.htm

Follow the steps in reverse to install, it's really easy.

Edited by nalioth

The G2 doesn't drop in on the Saiga 308. In the 762x39 model it will, other than the BHO. The hammer has to be recontoured a bit sometimes to get it to hit the firing pin fully (hits the cross pin). It is also too wide to clear the bolt hold open, so needs to be narrowed a bit to fit that back in.

Do spend a little time polishing the back of the hammer where it rides the bolt, and the hook surfaces on the trigger, disconnector and hammer. It will make difference in feel.

I have only had 2 triggers, the stock single hook Saiga and the Tapco G2 double hook trigger, so keep that in mind.

My saiga trigger was 6 lbs and had the longest tavel of anything that I have shot. This is likely (at least partially) due to the additional parts included to relocate the trigger farther back for the import legal version. When I converted with the Tapco G2, the trigger pull is now 2.5 lbs and the pull and reset are both very short. Frankly, the trigger is magnificent compared to the stock unit. I did not polish anything and merely oiled the parts and dropped them in.

As always, YMMV.

I have only had 2 triggers, the stock single hook Saiga and the Tapco G2 double hook trigger, so keep that in mind.

My saiga trigger was 6 lbs and had the longest tavel of anything that I have shot. This is likely (at least partially) due to the additional parts included to relocate the trigger farther back for the import legal version. When I converted with the Tapco G2, the trigger pull is now 2.5 lbs and the pull and reset are both very short. Frankly, the trigger is magnificent compared to the stock unit. I did not polish anything and merely oiled the parts and dropped them in.

As always, YMMV.

So your Saiga .308 had a cut out for a double hook?

Thanks.

On a double hook trigger in a single slot receiver, you can grind the bottom of the trigger arm that does not have a corresponding slot in the receiver. Just grind it enough where the trigger actuates, if done correctly, this can also have the side effect of limiting overtravel.

Some folks swear the double hook is 'smoother' due to bilateral contact with the hammer.

Some folks 'swear' the single hook is smoother due to less contact with the hammer.

I've used both and honestly can't tell the difference.

On a double hook trigger in a single slot receiver, you can grind the bottom of the trigger arm that does not have a corresponding slot in the receiver. Just grind it enough where the trigger actuates, if done correctly, this can also have the side effect of limiting overtravel.

Some folks swear the double hook is 'smoother' due to bilateral contact with the hammer.

Some folks 'swear' the single hook is smoother due to less contact with the hammer.

I've used both and honestly can't tell the difference.

Thanks.