How can the Swiss do it, and we dont.

Well, (not to sound racist), but Switzerland does not have the drug problem the U.S. has, besides the fact that they don't take in every other countries worthless indigent classes like the U.S. does either.

I.E. - Swiss people usually don't live in ghettos on public assistance and fight each other for drug turf. Besides, Europeans are comfortable seeing nuditity in public media while American media just shows (or Raps about) a bunch of people shooting each other for no reason.

They have had men marksmen in that country before there were guns (with bows and arrows). They train in a lot of marksmen type sports and value marksmen in the military. Their roots have been in marksmenship for so long that they hold their values very high. They are a smaller country, while we are growing and loosing our value of guns and marksmen.

Edited by Verson

and thay have seen wars rage around there homes, IMO one of the problems is that the sheeple in the US don't beleve that our conutry can be attacked, and there would never be an invasion. they havent forgoten 9/11, they just dont think it can happen again.

I like that "sheeple"!

I may be wrong but most drugs are legal there(not just amsterdam) - to them it is people's own responsibility if they want to be strung out or not. to them, it's people's own problem, no big deal. besides that they have community health care.

they might be like we should be, as far as guns go - they have the guns so that the people could rise up against someone comeing in and trying to take there country!

Are you sure vjor? There might have been some one here from one of those viking countries tellin' us how bad it was, I thought it was switzerland?!? my memory isn't the most reliable of things though.

Edited by Siagalova

Siagalova, yes and no, you may have to wait to get a permit to get a handgun

or a submachine gun but rifles and shotguns, no problemo .

Switzerland's militia is recruited by the Swiss national military and sports bureau. All able-bodied males are conscripted, trained and serve between the ages of 20 and 42 (52 for officers) for about a year and a half. Swiss physical education prepares young people for this training. Thereafter, men remain in the militia until the age of 50, performing a week of training each year.

To assure professional military leadership, the Bureau maintains professional schools for noncommisioned and commissioned officers. These require more than minimum service times

All of Swiss society celebrates shooting, and skill with the rifle. For example, each year Zürich shuts down for a whole day for its "Boys' Shooting Festival." Children, male and female, as young as eight and as old as seventeen compete in riflery. It is a traditional holiday.

It is commonplace to see young men and women from shooting clubs. In patriotic and sports parades they march in civilian clothes with standard-issue (black) military sharp-shooting rifles. Older men shoot together with the same attitude as those that play golf in other countries.

Famously, militia members keep their rifles and uniforms in their house for immediate mobilization. Swiss military doctrines are arranged in peculiar ways to make this organization effective.

Citizens are concerned about terrorism, and passed new federal gun control legislation in 1997. Restrictive licensing is required for pistols and machine-guns, but the law has numerous exceptions for semiautomatic rifles of the types used by the militia and shooting clubs.

One famous story shows the pride and citizenship that makes the militia such a powerful part of Swiss life. It is said that Kaiser Wilhelm was touring a Swiss training depot. He stopped, and asked a Swiss recruit, "The Empire can field 500,000 men, the Swiss only 250,000. Does that worry you?"

The recruit said, "No sir. We'll just shoot twice."

It's not exactly free but it is admirable! I think! I knew some guys that were in one of the red countries during the cold war, they said that during such and such an age - it was manditory to go wherever you were suited.

They don't keep an overly big ACTIVE army, do they?

yea we used to have something like that here, it was called ---- the reserves!!!

They don't keep an overly big ACTIVE army, do they?

they don't have a standing army at all, but hitler still wouldn't dare invade. he had his analysts work up an invasion plan and it was determined to be way too costly. with the mountains and the fact that everyone has a rifle.

Saigalova- The coast guard protects our coasts right? well, they protect all kinds of coasts in wartime iraq, vietnam, etc...

Reserves have been used in most wars this past century. Remember until 1898 and the Spanish American war we did not fight overseas.

You don't watch the spanish or BET much do you. The military is a good way for the poor to make a better life for themselves. 3 meals a day and a roof over your head, retirement, medical care for you and your family. And a safe way less than a .03% chance of dying in combat. some neighborhoods in l.a., detroit etc... are more dangerous than Iraq.

There is a long history of medal of honor winners who were hispanic or even mexican citizens.

Rumsfield just said that He and Bush do not support a draft. The draft proposal is from Charles Rangel (D).

I thought the national guard wasn't spos'd to be issued out, or the reserves or something.

the reserves are the US Army reserves, they wave alwast been to suplement the reanks of the army, the National Guard (NG) were for the state to use as needed. the main diffrence is that the army is not sposed to be deployed in the US armed, where as the NG is.

as for the draft, it would be the end of the politisions careere to reinstate the draft.

No shit! I bet iraq is safer than some ghettos! we don't have a very tough poor part of town here, I've gone there at night, you just have to walk tall, I like to look people in the eye as they near, nod and be pleasant.

If I could do it over again, I would've gone navy or airforce. but, As a kid I didn't take orders very well. when I was going to school, my buddies Marine recruiter was tryin' to get me in as an officer! I just didn't see any marine positions, even as an officer, that would get me anywhere technical, AND seemed like nothing but physical work, and in the way of bullets. BUT I don't know anything!!!!

My freind tells how he went navy, and with technical training, he had an easy time.

in the gulf whn people were dyin' he was on a ship coordinating strikes, pushing buttons. I don't respect him any less?!?!!

But (no disrespect to any service guys) I've also dated some westpac widows, if you call it dating!!! that's the thing with the navy, there's no holding a wife, or girlfreind.

on the other hand he liked to razz on the marines! like when they were to pick them up to transport - they would do shit like line up in front in front of a closet door. when the marines came they would instinctivlly line up behind them! then they'ed leave!!! he said they'd stay for hours! the captain got a bunch on the front deck to lift the equator line with poles! he said that day was hilarious!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Word just came in that Congress voted down the Rangel bill for re-instituting the draft, 402-2. I guess Rangle couldn't wrangel enough votes to get support from anyone other than his co-sponsor.

Also, the funny thing about the Swiss is they are always a neutral party when it comes to any war. Here they train their young adults as noted earlier between the ages of 20-42 years of age and they never get involved in anyone's skirmishes. Now how's that for Homeland Defense & Security. Maybe we should take a page from the Swiss but as one poster stated earlier, we'd have to educate our politicians first.