it happened again

while i was shooting today, the forend on my saiga broke off again.

this happened with the original wood stock that was on there, and it just happened again with the synthetic stock i put on it. why does this keep happening?

anyways, i dont want to keep replacing the stock, so i might get rid of the saiga and get something else.

i don't have any idea how many rounds it has through it. i bought it used, so im sure it already had quite a few rounds through it. ive put about 250-275 rounds through it so far.

im not ready to sell just yet... i have one more idea, and if it doesnt work, the rifle will be for sale soon.

Edited by chips
Hey chips, can you post a pic of your forend? Sounds weird, I have had three saigas

never had a problem with them, any way, maybe some one can help you, or give

you any ideas.

yeah, give me a few minutes and i can post a picture of both broken forends....

ok, this only has happened when i was firing while standing up. of course i had a firm grip on the forend as i always do when im shooting, and i think that's my problem. since there is only one screw holding it in, it just can't stand up to the recoil pulling it one way, and my hand pulling it the other way. the wooden stock is the original 308 sporter stock. the synthetic stock is a 7.62 stock i converted to be used on the 308.

i mentioned that i had an idea... im going to use a piece of metal to fix it. i'd like for it to mount into the reciever, and run about half the length down the stock. it will be fastened in by screws. i have all the tools i need to grind, dremel, drill press it, whatever needs to be done. if this proves to be too difficult, my rifle might be up for sale.

anyways, here's some pictures....

post-6-1096937708.jpg

Chips, one question, were the forend goes into the rifle and screws, there was

a little metal square built into the forend were the screw goes into the forend ? .

Second, you can grind some of the plastic of the forend about 4 inches install

a small metal plate drill and tap the plate into the forend, screw it to the forend

And drill and tap for the screw that holds the forend to the rifle, that will hold

the forend to the rifle and the metal will take must of the pressure when you

use it, in a hardware store or home depot, you will find small metal plates

like 1/8 or 1/16 thick. you can attach the plastic that broke to it to.

If you like, try brass plate first, easy to work with, if not a steel will be good.

By the way krebs have forends for saigas, if you want give them a call

the cost is about 35 bucks for it, but that is for buttstock and forend

maybe you can make a deal and just for the forend will be cheaper

if that works tell them that if you have any guarante on it, and that it brakes

you can get your money back, don't hurt to ask .

This is the url for krebs

http://www.krebscustom.com/CustomParts.html

http://www.krebscustom.com/index.html

the synthetic stock had the square metal piece, and the wodden stock had a circular metal piece around the screw.

krebbs is where i got the synthetic stock. im gunna try to work with the broken ones to see what i can do without having to spend anymore money.

update - ive decided to try and use dental acrylic to fix it. the break is pretty clean, so it should work. the acryllic is pretty strong, and it fuses to plastic.

once i get a hold of some, and try it, i'll let y'all know how well it works.

• 2 weeks later...

update - i only had the base for the dental acryllic i wanted to use, and it'd probably be a while before i could get the other part for it.

anyways, i was at home depot today, and i saw some jb weld. i went ahead and bought some of it.

i took the forend, sanded it with 80 grit sand paper, grinded the head off a 6" bolt and put it in the stock for support. i slathered jb weld all over it, and i think that might fix it. i'll let y'all know if it worked after it sets.

Hey Chips - read my posting (it's one of the earliest in this forum) regarding the broken forend and the hoops jumped through to get a replacement. I'll keep this Saiga until the forend breaks again and then try to sell it. It just looks like a really poor design and we as consumers shouldn't be forced to screw around with drilling, tapping, epoxying etc. I know the cost of an M-1A could buy about 4 Saigas but I'm still wondering if I made a mistake by not saving my pennies...good luck and stay safe!

I'm still wondering if I made a mistake by not saving my pennies

ive had the same thoughts.

actually, i got raped on my purchase - $400. this is actually the first gun i ever bought after i turned 18, and it was more of an impulse buy. ive just thought about the other guns i could've bought for that $400.

• 2 weeks later...

chips, that sucks man. If its a gun, it better be reliable and I better be able to abuse the sucker, or its a POS if you ask me. If i need to baby it so much and cry when i scratch it, maybe its best left as a very expensive wall decoration for SOMEONE ELSE!

if you need the other part of the dentist's acryillic to patch it up to sell, let me know. my stepmom is a dentist, and she prolly has some i can get off of her.

chips, that sucks man. If its a gun, it better be reliable and I better be able to abuse the sucker, or its a POS if you ask me. If i need to baby it so much and cry when i scratch it, maybe its best left as a very expensive wall decoration for SOMEONE ELSE!

if you need the other part of the dentist's acryillic to patch it up to sell, let me know. my stepmom is a dentist, and she prolly has some i can get off of her.

naw, thats okay - dads a dentist, so i could get some if i wanted. but thanks anyway. i think im gunna buy a new stock and sell it locally.

Edited by chips
Chips.

Hey bro send me a e-mail, see what can be done for you.

just offering help.

vjor36@comcast.net

i appriceate it, but ive decided that i'll probably just get rid of it. i think im just gunna see if one of the people i shoot with wants to buy from me cheap after i toss a new stock on it.

i'd like to pick up a sar-1 or another varient instead. im still considering a saiga-12, but that might not be for a while...

but, yeah - thanks for the offer man, but im pretty much done with this rifle.

Chips

No Problemo, the offer will be open if you change your mind,

do not get that piss off, one time I have to eat 200.00 bucks

to repair an AR15, plus price of rifle, it hurt but shit happens.

yeah, thanks again, but i just want something i don't have to worry about. i'll definately take a loss of about $200 on this gun, but i'll make it back one of these days :smoke:

• 3 weeks later...