Keeping the saiga .223 sporting stock while using hi-caps?

If my buddy wants to use converted 30 round mags in his saiga .223 and keep it legal, without replacing the saiga's buttstock and handguard, what are his US parts count options?

If I read it right he needs 4 US parts, so trigger, hammer, sear, gas piston would work. However the saiga has a weird composite trigger, what exactly is the PART that needs to be replaced? The trigger 'nub' in the traditional AK trigger pin location? The actual physical trigger you pull on? How could you replace that part?

Gas piston, hammer, sear, now we're back to 3 parts. US magazines are not an option.

I guess worst case scenario I could rig the gun up to use a US made AK polymer hand guard. The only reason he's not going US made furniture is he likes the low weight of the plastic stock set.

So if I can't figure out the legalities of the 3 trigger parts, i'll probably go hammer, sear, piston, front hand guard.

Any help is appreciated!

You cannot just swap out the trigger group in a stock Saiga with a US-made G2 group. It must be converted to pistol grip configuration. And, Saigas have no sear, the FCG has a hammer/trigger/disconnector. Don't know if you're doing to be able to do it with the factory furniture still in use.

Edited by tritium

There are examples here in the forums of how you can maintain the sporter appearance, including using a modified G2 FCG, from what I've seen here you need to modify the G2 so that it is the same as the stock Russian FCG. Do a bit of searching around here, I'm sure you'll find some of those posts.

BattleRifleG3 makes a modified FCG that can be used with the stock position. It replaces 2 of the 3 parts.

Adding a piston yes, you're still short one. There are threads around about modifying and adding magazine followers and floorplates; either of those would bring you to the required count.

Bill

Edited by BillTX

I'm right where I started.

WHAT exactly is the trigger on the saiga? I could have a custom part machined, but I need to know what part to replace that would add 1 to the US parts count.

So I take it the stock hammer and disconnecter would work, but what accounts for the trigger?

Modifing the magazines is a non option.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got done talking to a LEO neighbor of mine that's never heard of this 922 reg. I described it to him and he said that he thinks because it sounds un-enforceable on its own, it may be used as an *icing* infraction to put a violent criminal away longer. Makes some sense to me.

If my buddy wants to use converted 30 round mags in his saiga .223 and keep it legal, without replacing the saiga's buttstock and handguard, what are his US parts count options?

If I read it right he needs 4 US parts, so trigger, hammer, sear, gas piston would work. However the saiga has a weird composite trigger, what exactly is the PART that needs to be replaced? The trigger 'nub' in the traditional AK trigger pin location? The actual physical trigger you pull on? How could you replace that part?

Gas piston, hammer, sear, now we're back to 3 parts. US magazines are not an option.

I guess worst case scenario I could rig the gun up to use a US made AK polymer hand guard. The only reason he's not going US made furniture is he likes the low weight of the plastic stock set.

So if I can't figure out the legalities of the 3 trigger parts, i'll probably go hammer, sear, piston, front hand guard.

Any help is appreciated!

Why not just bolt on the ACE PG Stock set (2 US Parts) Then Get a Master Moulder 30 rd mag (3 US Parts) and your Done w/ just a bit of Dremel work on the Plastic Mag! (Legal w/ 30 rd mags) (just make it match the stock 10 rd. Russian mag Front and Rear Catches) Thats my option for my x 39,

no Gunsmithing req'd ! to be 30 rd. Legal w/ 922r)....but I haven't checked if the ACE PG StocK Set is avail for the .223 - I have the 7.62

BS012

Edited by BullShark012
Changing out the Piston reguires some Drill Press work, right? That's why I suggested the ohter option....but you are right really..that's the Best way.

No -- all you need is a hand drill and a hammer. Drill out the pin that holds the piston onto the bolt carrier, unscrew it, screw the new one on, then drill the new hole, insert a pin and peen it over. Start to finish, the whole process takes about 15 minutes. You can either get a specific pin for the piston 3 mm), or you can use a small nail.

There's a guy called Hotbarrel over on Gunco.net that sells US-made gas pistons for $15 each (delivered). I got one and it very well done (it does has the grooves, though, not the smooth head).

Easy and permanent.

As far as the trigger -- it is just that: the curved portion that extends through the bottom of the receiver. It is connected to the disconnector which uses that funky yoke to activate the hammer. You can replace the hammer pretty easily. The best bet for the trigger/disconnector is to get the set from BR3G or Dinzag.

Jim

Edited by Navy87Guy
Changing out the Piston reguires some Drill Press work, right? That's why I suggested the ohter option....but you are right really..that's the Best way.

No -- all you need is a hand drill and a hammer. Drill out the pin that holds the piston onto the bolt carrier, unscrew it, screw the new one on, then drill the new hole, insert a pin and peen it over. Start to finish, the whole process takes about 15 minutes. You can either get a specific pin for the piston 3 mm), or you can use a small nail.

There's a guy called Hotbarrel over on Gunco.net that sells US-made gas pistons for $15 each (delivered). I got one and it very well done (it does has the grooves, though, not the smooth head).

Easy and permanent.

As far as the trigger -- it is just that: the curved portion that extends through the bottom of the receiver. It is connected to the disconnector which uses that funky yoke to activate the hammer. You can replace the hammer pretty easily. The best bet for the trigger/disconnector is to get the set from BR3G or Dinzag.

Jim

Are the trigger/disconnect US made and do they drop into thestock location?

Easy and permanent.

Jim

Are the trigger/disconnect US made and do they drop into thestock location?

The above advice was aimed at you keeping the rifles appearance stock while conforming to 922r.