vented handgaurd

i just came up from the shop with my saiga forend. i cut the vent holes and test fitted it on the gun....fits nice looks alot like shieks from his website......3 on each side i didn't go crazy it went pretty well i just gotta go back out and file down the ended and make it look pretty and remount it on the gun.....tomorow i get to see if it makes it "run" cooler usualy about 20-30 shots and it starts to steam or smoke a little...hopefully this helps i'll post the pics of before and after in a sec after i find somewhere to host them...i will give measurements to help anyone else out that wants to do it........

yeah i used a dremel with the little brown breakable cuttof wheels...i broke several and i used a couple of dif. sized drill bits to make the holes the right size i need to do a little more filing to get it just right...and do the little router bit for a good beveled edge...it went pretty easy...its something all saiga owners should do...makes the gun look "better"more like a ak

i got a chance to test it out since i did the holes....hell it didn't even get 1/3 as warm as it was..usualy after about 20 rounds it would be hot it felt like i had just shot it a couple of times i shot ten like sighting taking my time...then i bumped off tenand no smoke hardly any heat...i like it...plus it looks cooler lol

I vented my foregrip a couple months ago. This is an excellent low cost project. Before I did it i would literally have to put on a leather glove to hold it , Now its nice and cool. I would recomend drilling out only one side because of the risk of getting your fingers burnt.

post-5-1097373680.jpg

Edited by LeadMonkey

yeh, I think I have to do that to my 12 gauge. I think Im going to use a router and a jig though, so I can get real clean and perfect slots. Not sure what im gonna do for it yet, need to take another look at the grip off the gun and see if it will weaken it at all.

lead monkey...i did mine between the barrel and the gas tube no metal is showing...your holes look a little bigger like you can touch the gas tube..........and bvamp i dont know about the s12 but it didn't weaken my handgaurd any it still feels the same, cept with a little bit better grip