ACE or Tapco multi-position stock?

Hello all,

I'm expecting delivery of my new .223 Saiga next week :smoke:

As my wife and I are both on the short side, I'll need to change out the stock. I've been looking at the Tapco stocks, but I see a few people don't like them. Would I be better off getting something from ACE?

In addition to that, it looks like I'll have to upgrade the trigger group and add a PG to remain in compliance. Do I have to move the trigger group forward to add the PG, or do people do that for another reason? (From reading, it looks like I'll have to do it, I just want to confirm that before I start drilling and hammering :rolleyes: )

Final question: If I am forced to move the trigger, should I get one of the pin plates that takes the place of the wire? Please note: I'm not 100% sure about what I'm saying here; I've seen a plate (Red Star? and Midway) and read about using it, but I don't think I've read about it with a picture or web link in the same post... If this is a good idea, is one plate better than the others?

Thanks,

Jay

Hello all,

I'm expecting delivery of my new .223 Saiga next week :smoke:

As my wife and I are both on the short side, I'll need to change out the stock. I've been looking at the Tapco stocks, but I see a few people don't like them. Would I be better off getting something from ACE?

Ace if you are planning on knocking down doors and such. They are very well built, and priced accordingly.

In addition to that, it looks like I'll have to upgrade the trigger group and add a PG to remain in compliance. Do I have to move the trigger group forward to add the PG, or do people do that for another reason? (From reading, it looks like I'll have to do it, I just want to confirm that before I start drilling and hammering :rolleyes: )

The trigger in a factory stock Saiga uses the hole you'll use for the pistol grip.

Final question: If I am forced to move the trigger, should I get one of the pin plates that takes the place of the wire? Please note: I'm not 100% sure about what I'm saying here; I've seen a plate (Red Star? and Midway) and read about using it, but I don't think I've read about it with a picture or web link in the same post... If this is a good idea, is one plate better than the others?

The plates are the same. I've only ever seen the one design sold by everyone. You can also use e-clips or hairpin clips to hold the pins. E-clips and hairpin clips are much cheaper.

Thanks,

Jay

My comments in red. Edited by nalioth

If you going for Quality the ace is hard to beat, but you pay for what you get, if you thinking

of changing the trigger and making a conversion a lot of people uses the tapco, but you better

off with a FSE fcg, hard to beat and yes people uses all kind of stuff

I like the plates

here some links that may help

Tapco and ace stuff, the prices of the Ace stuff are a little bet cheaper in here.

http://www.blackjackbuffers.com/

FSE FCG here ak16 ( akm style single hook), I have got FCG and pistol grip nuts from here

if pistol grip nut and screw get the akm ( RPB1022 )

http://www.gunmallusa.com/gunmallusa/prepa...umber=1&j=/

Edited by vjor

ACE makes quality stuff. I had a TAPCO collapsible on one of my AK's and it seemed kind of flimsy compared to my CAA stock -- but it was 1/3 the price.

It is possible to get an ACE receiver block that works with an unmodified Saiga, but for what you're going to pay you might as well just do the conversion. It's not that hard and you can knock it out in a weekend. The most popular replacement FCG is the TAPCO G2 -- you can get one for about $30.

I'd recommend trying to find someone in your area with a Warsaw length buttstock on their AK -- you might find that it works for you (they are shorter than the NATO standard length). They are also alot cheaper than the ACE path (you can get one for about $45)

Personally, I'm a fan of the retainer plate -- $10 well spent in my opinion. There are other ways though, as Nalioth pointed out.

Keep asking questions -- there are plenty of really smart folks around here who can talk you through just about anything. I think I learn something new just about every day!

Welcome to the Forum and the addiction we like to call "Saiga"!

Jim

Thanks guys. That gives me what I need to know for now. I was going to have the parts on hand when the rifle arrived, but I guess it's best to have it in hand and look things over.

I'm not opposed to paying for quality parts if that's what's called for. If I'm not going to notice a difference in my day to day plinking (I don't intend on knocking down any doors ;) ) I'll order the Tapco stuff from Midway and return it if I'm not happy with the quality.

i for one am a HUGE fan of the tapco 6 position stocks. ive put them on 3 of my saigas, and when my dad gets his S-12 soon, he wants one on there too. I could bring myself to drop the cash on an ACE stock. The tapco has yet to let me down, even after thousands of shells through my S-12. At first i was worried it wouldnt hold up to the recoil over time, but now i dont give it a second thought.