If ou look in the old posts, there are a few tutorials on how to do the conversion yourself with a few hand tools, some elbow grease, and a lot of patience. Mind our parts count and your local laws... There is a tutorial by Cobra76 that will be very helpful to you.

Good luck,

nyclu3

I just noticed that you're from ME, I was just in Portland. Anyway, just browse around and ask the questions you want to coz everyone here will tr to help you.

Edited by nyclu3

If you want an absolutely top-of-the-line conversion and you have the pennies (and the time to wait), then you can't go wrong with Tromix.

If you're on a tighter budget (for time or money), or you just like to tinker with your guns -- then you ought to consider doing the conversion yourself. I just picked up my S12 yesterday and I have all the parts ready to go. I did my own conversion on my 7.62x39 and it turned out great. Like nyclu3 said, there's plenty of info here on the forum, and lots of people to help you ought if you get stuck. It's not unusual to find someone online in the middle of the conversion looking for advice!

You can go as high-end as you want on the conversion. Here's my 7.62x39:

Saiga_before_after.jpg

I went with the ACE sidefolder, modular grip, customized handguard and a CAA 6-position stock -- it wasn't cheap! For my S12, I'm starting with a fixed buttstock and a SAW-style pistol grip. I think I spent about $100 on parts. You can always start small and "move up" later on.

If you're at all mechanically inclined (i.e., you can operate a hand drill without serious injury) then you have the skills it takes to convert. My recommendation would be to take it on yourself -- it's fun and you'll be proud of yourself when you're done.

Whatever you do, enjoy your Saiga....it won't be your last one!!

Jim

Thanks for the replys!

I've been thinking about doing the conversion. I'm just not sure that it is worth it for me to send it out to Tromix. I'm not going to have it shortened. I do like their Galil style charging handles and the HK sights.

I'll do some more poking around.

I'm leaning towards doing a little at a time.

Thanks again.

I'll do some more poking around.

I'm leaning towards doing a little at a time.

Thanks again.

That's exactly the route I'm thinking of taking when mine comes in next week.

Just don't forget when you start the conversion (say if you start with just your pistol grip) to keep your 922 compliance in mind.