Storing guns in an attic

Last year my house was broken into. Nothing particularly valuable was stolen and I didn't have any guns at the time. Now I have several guns, including my Saiga-12, and I have no real good place to hide them. I'm very paranoid about someone breaking in and finding them. Handguns are easy to hide but my rifle and shotgun are tricky. I'd like to keep them stored in the attic. However, it does get very hot up there during the summer (I live in Georgia) and my concern is that it would be bad for the guns, especially my SKS since it has a wooden stock.

Could anyone tell if it's safe to keep guns in a hot attic?

Last year my house was broken into. Nothing particularly valuable was stolen and I didn't have any guns at the time. Now I have several guns, including my Saiga-12, and I have no real good place to hide them. I'm very paranoid about someone breaking in and finding them. Handguns are easy to hide but my rifle and shotgun are tricky. I'd like to keep them stored in the attic. However, it does get very hot up there during the summer (I live in Georgia) and my concern is that it would be bad for the guns, especially my SKS since it has a wooden stock.

Could anyone tell if it's safe to keep guns in a hot attic?

Not a good idea,especially in humid Georgia.You'd be better off putting them under the house than in the attic.I wouldn't do that either.

My suggestions-

Buy a big dog(Sheperd,Rotti,Dobie....along those lines) or buy a quality gun safe(bolt it to the floor) or insure your firearms for replacement value(not value) or move to a better neighborhood.Not being a smartass.I've done "everything" that I suggested you do.

Ditto on the gun safe. Most high quality safes are pick proof and heavily weighted so bolting it down may not be necessary.

I got a 16 gun combination lock safe at K-Mart for under $300.00 on sale about 5 years ago. It's so heavy I can't even pick up the DOOR.

Edited by Etek

A piece of foam wall PVC drain pipe with a cap on one end and a glue to female thread coupling on the other, sealed with a cleanout plug. Bury it if you have to.

Hang it brtween the froor joists if you have a crawl space. If you put it in the attic, put it under blow in insulation.

Edited by G O B