Kind of a dumb question here, but why do you all like pistol grips? im debating weater or not to do the conversion. i have only shot a few rifels with pistol grips (mini 14 and an ar 15). i wasnt a big fan of either, i felt kinda cramped but they had very short stocks on them. so how would you compare pistol grip to sport stock? it seems like a pistol grip would cause the rifel to be less stabel to me for some reason. do you typicaly gain or lose accuracy?

The AK was not designed to have a sportserized rifle stock, because of that your hand sits at an odd angle, making it not very confortable to shoot, if you shoot one with a pistol grip and one wthout it you'll with notice the difference, it's all in the ergonomics of the rifle. :killer:

I like both pistol gripped stocks as well as regular old rifle stocks. The AK has a pistol grip on it so that it can be fired with accuracy from the hip, while running, one handed, and is also to be able to turn the weapon onto anyone that gets close enough in combat to grab it while you are holding it.

I have short arms and the 12+" sporterized stock isn't comfortable for me. The long stock essentially puts the receiver way out in front of me and the rifle becomes way too front heavy. When I wear a heavy coat the rifle becomes even harder to use.

A pistol grip with allow me to bring the rifle closer into my shoulder for more comfortable shooting and better balance.

The AK has a pistol grip on it so that it can be fired with accuracy from the hip.

Man, that is any oxymoron if I've ever seen one. Very few modern military units practice hip-shooting, the only one that comes to mind was Israel when they fielded the UZI for general troops. It's an ineffective means of fire and is good for nothing more than suppression and retreat tactics; ie where you're just making a ruckuss and trying to leave, you don't care if you hit anything or not. Besides, shooting from the hip is a lot easier with a traditional straight grip, try it some time.

Pistol grips were purely made and put into use for ergonomic reasons. Just hold you arm straight out in front of you, does you palm point horizontally away or vertically? It also allows better trigger control by pulling straight back instead of an upwards motion. If it wasn't such an issue, handguns would still be utilizing the curved grips of the old blackpowder single shots. Weapons retention is also a valid justification for one. Another reason, often over looked, is it allows the use of a straight-line stock that rides at or above the bore line. This helps considerably in control during rapid fire.

The question is not why do we have P-grips, but rather why didn't we before, if that's the natural position of the hand?

The reason is that until the past half century, the bayonet was a major weapon in war. Long arms with limited capacity doubled as pole arms when their bullets ran out. Even more so with the single shot muzzle loader. Notice as the bayonet declined in significance the pistol grips slowly began to appear, starting with curved sections of standard stocks.

Those who claim a P-grip makes something evil have no clue what they're talking about. Having a P-grip means a gun is better suited for shooting than for impaling.

The question is not why do we have P-grips, but rather why didn't we before, if that's the natural position of the hand?

The reason is that until the past half century, the bayonet was a major weapon in war. Long arms with limited capacity doubled as pole arms when their bullets ran out. Even more so with the single shot muzzle loader. Notice as the bayonet declined in significance the pistol grips slowly began to appear, starting with curved sections of standard stocks.

Those who claim a P-grip makes something evil have no clue what they're talking about. Having a P-grip means a gun is better suited for shooting than for impaling.

I can agree with this assessment.