I have searched and searched without too much luck on my made in Chine Norinco MAK-90 Sporter 7.62x39 question. Would I still need to replace the FCG if I wanted to go with a folding stock instead of the thumb-hole? I have a fiberforce thumb-hole now but would like either a side-folder or something from Ironwood Designs ( http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/ ) if possible, what do you all think or suggest?

If you remove it from it's 'sporting configuration', it has to conform to 922r.
Any imported thumbhole changed to "pistol grip" configeration must take 922r into consideration.Several excellent quality double-hook trigger assemblies in the chinese thumbhole imports were/are removed in the 922r.considerations. Understand the count & research your choices---perhaps, if the mechanism must be removed, it's replacement will be "prettly posed in pink".

Ironwood has some really nice furniture. If you go with a US made PG and stock set, fixed or folding, you will have three of your compliance parts there (including replacing the HGs). Or you can leave the nice looking Chinese HGs and try and match the color with a US PG and wood stock or folder. You need 5 US parts all together (from the list). I would definitely replace the FCG with a US made one from Tapco, FSE, or RSA. That will give you three parts toward your count. Then all you need is two more which you can get with a stock and PG.

OR if you would like to keep with foreign furniture, replace the gas piston like I did and only use mags with US parts. I don't like to rely on mags for parts count but in this case I do because I wanted to use foreign wood furniture. I also threaded my barrel and put on a US made slant brake. Having 6 US parts (3 in the G-2 double hook FCG, gas piston, followers, and floor plates) allows me to have it like this. I don't care about having to use a set of dedicated US modded or complete mags because I've got other AKs I can use regular mags in.

The main thing to consider first is your stock selection. If yours has the angle cut receiver like mine you will need to either get a stock from Ironwood made for that or modify another wood stock to fit it like I did. I'm not sure if ACE made an adapter block for angle cut receivers :unsure:

On mine I knocked out the plate covering the rear of the receiver (It was originally designed to be an underfolder or pistol) and modified a Romy stock to fit the angle while inserted.

Here's a few pics of my very first PG conversion that got me into this mess....

"Hi, I'm Cobra and I'm an AK-holic"..lol.

post-1293-1190475209_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1190475224_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1190475281_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1190475310_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
sorry to bring up an old thread but its interesting info and i was lucky enough to find a barely fired safe queen of a mak90 for $300 from a friend of mine

GREAT DEAL!! Just a P.I.T.A. to convert over to pistol grip configuration. Parts and wood will eat that $300 up in no time.