feed ramp biting bullet before feed?

Hi. I'm hoping you guys can help me... I'm pretty new here and I've had a few scary/bad experiences with firearms so far (non user error) so I try to take any precautions I can (stop - place weopon down when things sound funny, etc)

I recently purchased a 7.62x39 Saiga. I've fed it Tiger and Monarch and of course - no issues. About 150 rounds through the rifle.

Today, I shot some recently acquired Norinco ammo (not the steel core type). No failures per say. It was actually pretty darn accurate for a newbie like myself hiting the paper at 50 yards with iron sights. However, I looked at the ejected cases and they are ALL like these 3 in the picture. It seems like the bullet hits the feed ramp and gets a little ding in the process. Some of the casings are just slightly bent at the indenture mark.

Is this a concern? I'm just worried it may make the bullet structurally compromised and more prone to a bad bang during the explosion.

I shot about 40 today (or the Norinco stuff). The lip of the feed ramp looks a tad shiney when i cleaned it after the range.

Should i just buff/sand that a bit so that it's more like a ramp?

The saiga was converted to use high cap mags using a Dinzag feed ramp. I used both a 30 round mag and a 10 rounder... same "biting".

thanks in advance!

post-7751-1191809749_thumb.jpg

I think the dings you are seeing are caused during the gun's ejection of the brass after firing. The brass is probably hitting on the top cover. This appears to be common with the Ak rifles. It does not appear to be a issue as the steel brass is not reloadable or salvaged anyway.

great vid.... it pulls that casing out pretty violently doesn't it. i'm watching it several times but i'm still not sure what is it hitting... and how can it be hitting at that exact place at the exact force?

from the picture of the ammo, it looks like a flat edge is hitting it.

what do you think?

..in any case, i'll continue to fire away since the concenses seems to be that it's perfectly normal. i just like to figure out how things work.

great vid.... it pulls that casing out pretty violently doesn't it. i'm watching it several times but i'm still not sure what is it hitting... and how can it be hitting at that exact place at the exact force?

from the picture of the ammo, it looks like a flat edge is hitting it.

what do you think?

..in any case, i'll continue to fire away since the concenses seems to be that it's perfectly normal. i just like to figure out how things work.

You can get some auto door guard plastic and put on the curved section of the receiver cover and possibly eliminate the denting.

(Or so some here have said. I have yet to take my baby back to the range. :unsure: )

Bill

so... this part (red circle) is the thing that hits the casing as it flies out?

as a test, i'll place some tape or some "cushion" on here to see if that works. i don't plan to leave it there - it would look goofy. since we are saying this is "post" firing - and i'm not reloading - this is a non-issue but strictly for curiousity.

from some of the replies here - this is common for ak type rifles?

and again, i notice it only when i fire norinco type copper colored ammo - the other stuff seem ok.

post-7751-1191895208_thumb.jpg

so... this part (red circle) is the thing that hits the casing as it flies out?

Yes.

from some of the replies here - this is common for ak type rifles?

From what I have seen/heard: Yes. AK's are also known to fling brass FAAAAAAAR away too :D .

Edited by 22_Shooter
Yeah, it's hitting the bolt carrier, not the receiver cover.

But the padding on the receiver cover lip is effective in eliminating the dented cartridges, so how could the shells be hitting the bolt carrier?

Yeah, it's hitting the bolt carrier, not the receiver cover.

But the padding on the receiver cover lip is effective in eliminating the dented cartridges, so how could the shells be hitting the bolt carrier?

Good point, now that I'm thinking of it, you're right. I guess I wasn't taking into account that the AK in the vid didn't have the cover on, and most likely, the OP did. I will edit my previous post. Good catch. But if the cover weren't on (like in the vid), THEN it would hit the carrier, no?

Edited by 22_Shooter