Who has had Red Jacket do a conversion?

When it comes to conversions, I know most people say "Do it yourself". But the more I think about it, the more I lean towards having it done by a pro. Call me a Sally or whatever you want :rolleyes: , but I really don't wanna muck up my x39. I figure $200 for the basic conversion is well worth the peace of mind knowing it was done right (and not by my noob ass :D ). Plus from what I read on their site, they refinish all conversions with Gunkote (hopefully that includes basic conversions), so that would be nice. Anywho, I know there is other threads asking about the quality of Red Jacket conversions, but that's not my question. I've read enough and seen enough people backing them to be more than confident in their work. My question is, anyone have any detailed pics of their Red Jacket conversions? Their site's pics are a little blurry.

This is my first Saiga conversion and "my noob ass" did it just fine. There is really nothing to it.

On the other hand, Red Jacket does fine work.

Looks good :up: . I know I should do it myself. But I figure I could save the "Do it myself, learn more about my gun in the process, feel accomplished" scenario for my next x39. I want to get another before prices go up even more, so I can have my all black evil x39, and then one with wood furniture for the more "classic" AK look.

Here's mine...

Nice! That pic is wallpaper-worthy! Love the vid. I never get tired of watchin' stuff like that :smoke: .

Edited by 22_Shooter

The AK-103 style converted Saiga that I got from Red Jacket does have the BHO on it, and it still works normally too! The finish is very evenly applied. It is definitely superior to the factory Saiga finish. I'm sorry that I could not provide better pictures than what they have on their website, but if the gun I got is any indication, there is no need to worry about the quality of their finish work.

The basic pistol grip conversion is pretty straight forward , particularly if you use Dinzag's feed ramp set-up [we use Bulgy issue]. When you get down to it , what you're really paying for is a life time warrenty and an all over refinish with the good stuff . Sorry the pictures suck , if you go over to AK Forum and search us , you ought to pull up a few . Honestly though , if you're mechanicly inclined at all , the p.g. would make a good home project for you . Doing a full 103 0r 105 , you might want to mail that one in though :) Either way , if you get stuck doing it on your own , or want to set up shipping , just give me a call . Will

The basic pistol grip conversion is pretty straight forward , particularly if you use Dinzag's feed ramp set-up [we use Bulgy issue]. When you get down to it , what you're really paying for is a life time warrenty and an all over refinish with the good stuff . Sorry the pictures suck , if you go over to AK Forum and search us , you ought to pull up a few . Honestly though , if you're mechanicly inclined at all , the p.g. would make a good home project for you . Doing a full 103 0r 105 , you might want to mail that one in though :) Either way , if you get stuck doing it on your own , or want to set up shipping , just give me a call . Will

Thanks, I appreciate a reply from the company itself. I'm still on the fence about doing it myself, but I may just give it a try. I tend to put things off, so we'll see how long it takes me to get going on it :rolleyes:. Thanks again, everyone.

When it comes to conversions, I know most people say "Do it yourself". But the more I think about it, the more I lean towards having it done by a pro. Call me a Sally or whatever you want :rolleyes: , but I really don't wanna muck up my x39. I figure $200 for the basic conversion is well worth the peace of mind knowing it was done right (and not by my noob ass :D ). Plus from what I read on their site, they refinish all conversions with Gunkote (hopefully that includes basic conversions), so that would be nice. Anywho, I know there is other threads asking about the quality of Red Jacket conversions, but that's not my question. I've read enough and seen enough people backing them to be more than confident in their work. My question is, anyone have any detailed pics of their Red Jacket conversions? Their site's pics are a little blurry.

I do not have any pictures as of yet but I had Will at Redjacket MAKE me two rifles. I was leery at first because I saw his stuff at ATLANTIC firearms and figured I'll call him direct. I thought one way or another, I was going to get screwed because there are people like Todd bailey or diamond dave at elite firearms. Well guess what? Will takes brand new saigas and converts them and will do anything else you want to them. He will deliver when he says. My two guns are a S-308 and a .223 he made into an AK-105. The 105 has a 12.5in barrel with a 4.3in Krink brake made by Chris at AK103 permanently attached. The recoil, because of the brake is like a .22cal. It is really weird, I have never had a gun with recoil qualities like this ,makes an AR feel like a 12 gauge. Because of the lack of recoil the accuracy is exceptional and the fact the short barrel is attached to the gas block/front site. The quality of work is tip top. If when you get your gun there is something you do not like, he will fix it until you are happy. I had to send the .308 back for a minor problem with the safety that i did not like and on top of fixing it he gave me some of my money back! You gotta pay to have someone else convert your rod but I figured he does alot of these and it is warrented for 5 yrs.

Will

How much would it cost to do a AK103 if the Saiga is supplied?

What parts are changed to US parts?

How long of a wait do you have for conversions?

Been hearing alot of good things on the web about your conversions.

Thanks John

Not trying to butt in here, but you can check out their site and their services - http://www.redstick-firearms.com/services/services.html

The problem I would have doing the conversion myself is I do not have a drill press to drill out the pins in the rear of the receiver but I do have a Dremel Tool.

The problem I would have doing the conversion myself is I do not have a drill press to drill out the pins in the rear of the receiver but I do have a Dremel Tool.
There is more than one way to skin a cat. They are just pins with flared ends. I used a small center punch to knock them out on my conversion. I also used a hand drill to drill my hole for the bullet guide (yes, I do have a drill press).
There is more than one way to skin a cat. They are just pins with flared ends. I used a small center punch to knock them out on my conversion. I also used a hand drill to drill my hole for the bullet guide (yes, I do have a drill press).

How did you keep the drill perfectly straight when drilling the bullet guide hole?

Will

Thanks John

Hey :) I'm pretty new to all of this, and I may be having a case of the stupids, but do the conversions they list on the top of that page include the parts? Or is that for labor only and you have to buy the parts separately?

Will

Thanks John

Hey :) I'm pretty new to all of this, and I may be having a case of the stupids, but do the conversions they list on the top of that page include the parts? Or is that for labor only and you have to buy the parts separately?

Labor , includes refinish and shipping .

I'm Going to try it myself.