what's the difference converting a S12 vs. a 7.62x39 saiga

i did a 7.62x39 conversion a few monthes back. my friend has a saiga 12 he wants converted to a pistol grip. any major differences? i'm told the trigger guard should be welded rather than bolted/riveted on due to higher recoil.

anything else i should know?

If you're shearing-off properly riveted, S12 trigger guards when you shoot... you have very serious problems. For my future reference, please let me know via IM who made that statement... especially if it was a board member.

Edited by RDSWriter

I found the trigger guard was easier to remove on the S12. I dorked up the selector lever stop, so I had to make a new one from the left over trigger plate.

My S12 did not have the hole precut for the pistol grip nut (the 7.62x39 had all the holes), so I had to cut that.

If you use a retainer plate in place of the original spring to hold the trigger and hammer pins in place, you'll have to do some mods. The rear portion sits high and impedes the rail for the bolt carrier, and I had to relieve the hole at the rear a little bit to get the selector lever to lock into place.

If you reinstall the BHO, you're going to have to do some work on it. The rear end of the plate/lever blocks the selector lever and you can't get the arm into place. I just cut a little bit from the upper rear corner of the BHO until the selector lever could fit. It doesn't impact the operation of the BHO at all.

Generally, I found the S12 conversion to be easier than the 7.62x39 -- but that may because I had the benefit of experience from that first conversion.

Jim

• 4 weeks later...
If you reinstall the BHO, you're going to have to do some work on it. The rear end of the plate/lever blocks the selector lever and you can't get the arm into place. I just cut a little bit from the upper rear corner of the BHO until the selector lever could fit. It doesn't impact the operation of the BHO at all.

The following has recently been brought to my attention by Mike Davidson in regards to the BHO. Hope it helps:

There is a trick to getting the safty back in though once you reinstall the internals. After all the internals are installed, before you rehook the return spring on the bho, swing the bho up to where it is sticking about straight up. This will give you enough room to put the safty back in. Once the safty is in, swing the bho back down into position and then hook the spring over the catch (little bent part on the bho). If you feel like the bho is in the way of your trigger finger you can remove some material from the tab to make lower profile.

Another option to using a plate to hold the pins in is to go to the hardware store and get some e clips they work very well, are easy to install and dont get into the way. For the holes where the old rivets were i used plastic body fasteners. I have also heard of using binding posts i bought both but found the fasteners to be the better alternative

Another option to using a plate to hold the pins in is to go to the hardware store and get some e clips they work very well, are easy to install and dont get into the way....

The E-clips come loose under the recoil of a 7.62x39! A 12 guage will shed them quickly. If your gun is used to play with, I guess it does not matter. But, if you may have to use it for defense, I would urge you to consider another solution.

Just to add another experience-I used hairpin clips on my S12 and after 150 rounds they haven't budged. Go in and out with needle nose pliers easy. I'll do the same with the 7.62x39 conversion I'm in the middle of.

I'll be the "tester". I'll be running 3 gun next year and am getting alot of range time in now. if they come loose I'll report it asap.

i did a 7.62x39 conversion a few monthes back. my friend has a saiga 12 he wants converted to a pistol grip. any major differences? i'm told the trigger guard should be welded rather than bolted/riveted on due to higher recoil.

anything else i should know?

Pretty much the same for the rear end stuff. The front handguard setup is totally different of course. I riveted my trigger guard w/o issue.