Cheaper .223 or 5.45X39

Err, maybe I'm stupid or something, but isn't there only 2 small-caliber Saiga rifles? I thought they were 5.56/.223 and 7.62x39.. Never heard of 5.45x39, that ratio would be like a .17HMR or .223WSSM or something..

Clueless,

Acer

Saiga doesn't make a 5.45x39 rifle but you can get a Bulgarian or Romanian WASR in that caliber. I've also seen some Polish 5.35 kits being sold which you can build. Presently 5.45x39 ammo is the cheapest center fire ammo available but that could change the way all the ammo prices have shot thru the roof. If you buy one and can afford to stockpile a few thousand rounds in case prices go up and availability changes the way it did with 7.62x39.

You can also build yourself an AK from a kit. 5.45 = about .21 caliber. In the USA they had a rifle at one time chambered in ".21 Genghis" (which was nothing more than a 5.45x39).

Polish Tantal

tantal_644.JPG

Bulgarian AKS-74

aks-74_468.JPG

5.56 is fine you will never have to worry about the supply of ammo drying up like it did after Katrina not sure what the hurrican had dot do with the ammo supply but you could not find 5.45 to save you life

5.56 is fine you will never have to worry about the supply of ammo drying up like it did after Katrina not sure what the hurrican had dot do with the ammo supply but you could not find 5.45 to save you life

I just prefer $0.18 per round to $0.65, so I'm going 5.45mm.

One thing to consider is there are no cheap brass cases to reload the 5.45x39 with. Right now the ammo is cheap but coud dry up if Clinton gets elected. She could ban imports with a presidential order like Bill did for the Chinese stuff. I do think someone will start making cases here as a market will develop quickly.

Edited by ironhead7544

As cheap as it is going to get 5.45

RomanianSAR1LaminateSM.gif

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/p/...846bc0960286c63

545x39surplusTinsSM.jpg

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/am...roducts_id/1399

$299 wasr2 + $130 1k bulg = $430 for a high cap 5.45 w/ 1000rds

vs

$250 saiga + high cap conversion 922r ($100 depending on what you do) + $200 1k wolf = $550 for a high cap 5.56 w/ 1000 rds

As for availability, I own both since 223 is native BUT at 5.45 ammo prices its stacked so deep I'd wear out a barrel before I ran out of ammo.

Edited by dyi