Getting My First SAIGA Excited

Ok. I am getting my first SAIGA rifle. I have a PSOP 4x24 scope already to put on it I am just trying to figure out which caliber to get. What I am looking for is a sniper rifle type look with good medium range accuracy. If it helps anything I already have a WASR-10 if using the same ammo is a factor (which it isnt for me really).

I guess I am wondering which would be a better caliber at medium ranges

Also does every SAIGE rile come with the side rail already indtalled. And if so how hard is it to install the scope I mentioned above?

Which caliber is "easier" to should, less recoil is I guess what I am asking I would think the .223.

Any feedback would be great.

7.62x39 ammo is about half the cost right now of the .223. The .223 has a flatter trajectory, so hold over / under will be less of a factor at "medium" ranges. All Saiga rifles / shotguns come with the side rail and installing the scope is a snap. I have a x39 and I find the recoil to be almost nil; should be about the same for both calibers.

If you want to hunt with it, get the x39. It packs more energy at all ranges out to 500yrds than the .223. If you want a bit more accuracy get the .223. I hear that the .223 Saiga shoots a little tighter than the x39. But my x39 shoots 2.5-3" groups at 100yards and I'm a bad shot. (Hoping for better with the new trigger I installed)

That being said, the recoil of Both guns will be almost NIL. At 300yards the x39 (125gr) packs 678 ft/lbs of Energy with a drop of -14.8" The .223 (55gr) has an energy of 443 ft/lbs with a drop of -8.2" At 300yrds you're looking at a weaker but flatter gun with the .223. At 500yrds the holdover becomes -94.6 and -58.3 respectively with energies of 371 and 197 ft/lbs. To compare, at 100 yards, a .22 Magnum has an Energy of about 180 ft/lbs. So a .223 at 500yrds is a .22 Magnum at 100yrds (energy wise).

See my rant here http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...mp;#entry180323 for an off topic comparison of the calibers and some links to a few ballistic websites.

I notice the recoil from 7.62x39mm rifles (sks, norinco hunter -both probably heavier than a saiga) From my .223 20" saiga, I do not notice any significant recoil, there practically is none. I'm not saying 7.62x39mm kick hard, but I notice a difference. Personally I really like the .223. The outer barrel diameter for both 7.62x39mm and .223 saigas are the same, so the .223 barrels are thicker because the bore is smaller. 7.62x39mm is cheaper for the most part.

• 4 weeks later...

if you decide to get the .223 i would look at getting a 308 instead price of ammo is about the same if not cheaper it has more bark and more bite over the .223. i try not to get alot of differnt weapons with differnt calibers so i keep it all about the same caliber so keeping ammo doesnt take as much room or get mixed up as bad. i can get 1"grps@100yrd with stock 308 22"useing factory ammo from walmart.but at the end of the day get what makes you happy you cant go wrong with a saiga :up:

Edited by Cryptkeeper