Weld .410 mags?

Hey guys I also bought 3 of those mags from Auction Arms and welded 2 together and it yeilded a functional 9 rounder on closed bolt. I got a detail from Dinzag showing the measurements to cut and cut the bottum per detail and changed the top cut just a little bit. Never had a problem with no FTF no FTE flawless. This shows my rough before i did final sanding and finish and Dinzags detail. Good luck guys.

post-6703-1195686738_thumb.jpg

post-6703-1195686881_thumb.jpg

post-6703-1195686804_thumb.jpg

Edited by Superhawk138
Does anyone weld .410 mags? Found a pawnshop on Auction Arms selling new mags 3 for $49.00. Looking for someone I can pay to do it.

Thanks

Check with Dinzag.

That was my first e-mail,but sadly he does'nt do it anymore.

Nice job superhawk! Wanna make a couple of bucks? How long did it take you?

Does anyone weld .410 mags? Found a pawnshop on Auction Arms selling new mags 3 for $49.00. Looking for someone I can pay to do it.

Thanks

Check with Dinzag.

Thank you, I would be glad to but i'm in the middle of a move and my tools and stuff are locked up in storage for a while. I'm getting my S-12 next week and can't even touch it untill after the new year sux. It took about an hour to get it functioning by hand then waited untill i went to the range to check live fire. After that it was probally about 45mins with a sander and some flat black paint.

Is that the 4 rd mags welded together? Looks good.

Thanks

Check with Dinzag.

Thank you, I would be glad to but i'm in the middle of a move and my tools and stuff are locked up in storage for a while. I'm getting my S-12 next week and can't even touch it untill after the new year sux. It took about an hour to get it functioning by hand then waited untill i went to the range to check live fire. After that it was probally about 45mins with a sander and some flat black paint.

Is that the 4 rd mags welded together? Looks good.

Thanks

Check with Dinzag.

This is my 2, 4 rounders welded together after i knocked the extra plastic down with coarse grit before i did any final sanding with fine. Mine can be loaded with 9 rounds on closed bolt.

post-6703-1196364890_thumb.jpg

What are you guys using to weld them together?

Thanx,

Nico

I just use a cheap soldering iron just kind of meld the pieces together. I did the same to my tapco galil handguards. Dinzag was a big help for me with a diagram of the measurements to cut the mags as well as some of the stuff from here helped also. http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=8240&hl=

Can you use a 2 1/2 in mag for top and a 3 in mag for the bottom as the 3 in are cheaper? Just hate to cut up two 2 1/2 mags when I got some 3's laying around...thanks

The differance is the rear follower rail the 3" is further back the shells rim load behind the folower rail and the 2.5" it loads in front of the follower rail which itself is about 3/16" further towards the front. good idea for a higher cap 2.5" mag but looks like you will sacrifice 2. Sorry. :(

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys I also bought 3 of those mags from Auction Arms and welded 2 together and it yeilded a functional 9 rounder on closed bolt. I got a detail from Dinzag showing the measurements to cut and cut the bottum per detail and changed the top cut just a little bit. Never had a problem with no FTF no FTE flawless. This shows my rough before i did final sanding and finish and Dinzags detail. Good luck guys.

post-6703-1195686738_thumb.jpg

post-6703-1195686881_thumb.jpg

post-6703-1195686804_thumb.jpg

This may be a stupid question, but how do you disassemble the mags for cutting?

Or do you leave them as is and be careful not to cut the spring?

Thanx,

Nico

Nico, Hold the magazine upside down in a vice. There is a small (1/8"x3/16") rectangular detent in the center of the bottom plate of the magazine. Depress this with the tip of a small screwdriver and slide the bottom plate toward the rear of the magazine. You will need another small screwdriver to get it started. A drop of oil will help things slide. Once you get past the edge of the detent you won't need to hold it down. Gradually slide the bottom plate out, holding the spring retainer in place and gradually let the spring expand. It's about 12" long. Slide the spring and follower out and set them aside. The retainer falls off easily and is held by a small bend in the spring through a hole in the side of the retainer. When re-assembling, note that the bottom plate is asymmetric and the inside leading edge is tapered toward the hole in the center so that the detent will engage and disengage easily.

Nico, Hold the magazine upside down in a vice. There is a small (1/8"x3/16") rectangular detent in the center of the bottom plate of the magazine. Depress this with the tip of a small screwdriver and slide the bottom plate toward the rear of the magazine. You will need another small screwdriver to get it started. A drop of oil will help things slide. Once you get past the edge of the detent you won't need to hold it down. Gradually slide the bottom plate out, holding the spring retainer in place and gradually let the spring expand. It's about 12" long. Slide the spring and follower out and set them aside. The retainer falls off easily and is held by a small bend in the spring through a hole in the side of the retainer. When re-assembling, note that the bottom plate is asymmetric and the inside leading edge is tapered toward the hole in the center so that the detent will engage and disengage easily.

Very much appreciated.

Thanx,

Nico

• 3 weeks later...

Getting ready to do some of these myself soon. :smoke:

Looking at the ones dinzag did compared to the one shown above by Nico, there appears to be a big difference in the angle of attachment. I'll be interested to see how well this one feeds.

I was originally going to try the other route and keep it more or less straight. Has anyone ever tried that? Dinzag?

I know the shell rims make it necessary to add a curve to the mags once you get past four or five rounds but I have seen mags made in Russia for the 410 that are straight like the 4 rdrs but they hold 7. Maybe that's the limit before you need a curve.

Here's a pic of one made by Prodiz....

post-1293-1199243294.gif

Edited by Cobra 76 two

Fired it today. Works perfectly. I don't know why it's so crooked. I used the dimensions provided by Dinzag. I may try to build another one that is a little straighter. You guys are a tremendous help. I'm planning to do a conversion soon.

Edited by Nico Cujo

Cobra these are my impressions about magazines:

a. I several times tested the curve of shells in a straight row. I've never seen the straight mag but yes after testing I would definetelly say that a 6 round maybe 7 mag can be made.

There is one small detail in all Saiga .410 mags. Actually the first and half of the second shell are outside of the box. That's an interesting detail.

b. I have tested joining a 10 round with a 4 round. It did produce a functional 14 round I think that would interest you mostly as I can see that you are a talented individual.

c. After testing the mags of Safir I noticed that the spring was much smaller. Unfortunatelly I didn't have a dynamometer with me to check both springs but whenever I'll have the chance I'll do it.

I think that the Saiga 410 spring is an overkill and this is a clear by the fact that the guys who join 2 four round mags are only using (1) of the original mags not two. So by cutting the spring even in a 10 rounder more rounds can be inserted.

d. I am not an engineer in Izmash but I am sure this plastic mag stupidity was enforced so that saiga mags would be harder to copy (and eventually change the number of rounds) by an individual in Russia. Russian handymen are very skilled with metal but on the other side plastic material and mould making are very hard to come by.

e. the original mag shells are joined from 3 pieces. Two side plates and the projection on the back that locks into the mag lever. The front projection from what I can see is molded in half in each one of the two side plates. Don't want to write something silly and get ridiculed but making the mould for each part is easy at least for amateur use. Difficult is finding the correct plastic and then curing. I don't know what kind of material exactly is in Saiga mags and what material can be substituted. For example you Cobra sometime you made some followers out of wood. I know 100% that parts like this because are small are very easy to be molded by an amateur. The difficult part is finding the correct filler in the hardware store because unfortunately amateur material do not posses same strengh as an industrial process with infusion, molding under vacuum, baking etc.

Just my thoughts

Joe

Getting ready to do some of these myself soon. :smoke:

Looking at the ones dinzag did compared to the one shown above by Nico, there appears to be a big difference in the angle of attachment. I'll be interested to see how well this one feeds.

I was originally going to try the other route and keep it more or less straight. Has anyone ever tried that? Dinzag?

I know the shell rims make it necessary to add a curve to the mags once you get past four or five rounds but I have seen mags made in Russia for the 410 that are straight like the 4 rdrs but they hold 7. Maybe that's the limit before you need a curve.

Here's a pic of one made by Prodiz....

post-1293-1199243294.gif

In most of the Saiga mags, the springs are overkill. Same with the S-12 and others. This makes it nice for us when we get creative and add more room to the bodies. I would be interested in that 14 rd mag. I thought about joining 3 or 4 of the four rd mags just to see how it did. One reason is, I'm not sure why but mine feeds better with the four rd mags when using the Barnaul steel hulled ammo, like I normally use. The follower and feed angle are slightly different on my 10 rd mags. You can join the springs with that shrink wrap material used for insulating wires. I figured two of the four rd springs would easily do for a 12-15 rd mag.

Yes I made some wooden "wedges" to correct the feed angle of the 20 ga 3" mags to allow use of both 2.75" and 3" shells in the same mag. I used hardwood because it was easily available (oak hardwood flooring) and easy to cut and shape. Since then I have acquired some good synthetic material to use for that. It looks more like it belongs there and is just as easy to work with.

I'm joining some mags now for gunboy69 so if anyone else needs some done just let me know. (Jay?)

In most of the Saiga mags, the springs are overkill. Same with the S-12 and others. This makes it nice for us when we get creative and add more room to the bodies. I would be interested in that 14 rd mag. I thought about joining 3 or 4 of the four rd mags just to see how it did. One reason is, I'm not sure why but mine feeds better with the four rd mags when using the Barnaul steel hulled ammo, like I normally use. The follower and feed angle are slightly different on my 10 rd mags. You can join the springs with that shrink wrap material used for insulating wires. I figured two of the four rd springs would easily do for a 12-15 rd mag.

Yes I made some wooden "wedges" to correct the feed angle of the 20 ga 3" mags to allow use of both 2.75" and 3" shells in the same mag. I used hardwood because it was easily available (oak hardwood flooring) and easy to cut and shape. Since then I have acquired some good synthetic material to use for that. It looks more like it belongs there and is just as easy to work with.

I'm joining some mags now for gunboy69 so if anyone else needs some done just let me know. (Jay?)

Cool, I started converting the 410 last night. I forgot how fun it is,makes me want to get a 308 to convert. I got it stripped in about 25 minutes,just need to cut the PG hole and start putting it back together.

Did Brian get the FH yet? I still need to order some shit anyway. Glad to hear you are started.

Hows the knee?

Joe Blasco said "I have tested joining a 10 round with a 4 round. It did produce a functional 14 round I think that would interest you mostly as I can see that you are a talented individual. "

You added a 4 rnder to a curved 10 rnder? I'm wondering like cobra, adding a few 4 rnders together to make a functional mag. I'll have to play with the curve to see how much is needed.

Edited by Nico Cujo

Correctly. Actually I placed the 4 rounder on bottom of the 10 rounder. No feeding problems up to 14 rounds used the original spring from the 10 rounder. There was place to insert more rounds I think up to 17-18 don't remember now but then feeding problems arose. Up to 14 I didn't notice problems.

Now it's been some time and I think it would be better looking :smoke: if the 4 rounder was placed on top of the 10 rounder. You got me interested in new experiments I'll try to find some materials and time!

Joe

Joe Blasco said "I have tested joining a 10 round with a 4 round. It did produce a functional 14 round I think that would interest you mostly as I can see that you are a talented individual. "

You added a 4 rnder to a curved 10 rnder? I'm wondering like cobra, adding a few 4 rnders together to make a functional mag. I'll have to play with the curve to see how much is needed.

• 4 weeks later...
DOH!!! LOL oh ok plastic eh........well well well my buddies over in the carpenter shop build alot of plastic projects :rolleyes:

If you can Mig, Tig, Arc, Oxy/Ace, and heliarc the plastic is the same principle heating and combining materials with a little filler. A simple soldering gun worked for me with no problem.

Welded nine rounder 2 four rounders with shortended follower legs on my bullpup.

post-6703-1202054192_thumb.jpg