Just received my bullet guide

Hello all,

I received my bullet guide the other day, and had a few questions.

First: I noticed that my guide (round trunion) looks quite smaller than the guide used in Dinzags' instructions. I thought i read in a thread that this guide is an updated model. Is this correct?

Second: The instructions say that the guide "gets tucked under the barrel/chamber face". My guide is too thick and will not fit under the barrel. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem or if it is normal. I could file down that part of the guide so that it fits, but I'm not sure if the guide slides all the way to the end.

Thanks

Hello all,

I received my bullet guide the other day, and had a few questions.

First: I noticed that my guide (round trunion) looks quite smaller than the guide used in Dinzags' instructions. I thought i read in a thread that this guide is an updated model. Is this correct?

Second: The instructions say that the guide "gets tucked under the barrel/chamber face". My guide is too thick and will not fit under the barrel. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem or if it is normal. I could file down that part of the guide so that it fits, but I'm not sure if the guide slides all the way to the end.

Thanks

Email dinzag or shoot him a PM he has a few sizes in both round and square trunion style. He is hella cool and will take care of you. FYI make sure you take the time to line it up right before drilling! Dont ask me how I know :eek: Good luck

I figured I'd post to see if anyone else had the same guide problem with the guide not wanting to slide underneath the barrel, and if they modified it to work with no problems. I'm going to PM Dinzag about it, but i really wanted to install it this weekend.

Edited by Res

OK, so I got mine today, went to test fit, and I'm in the same situation. Like you said, it seems as if a small amount of filing would let it slide all the way in. As it sits right now, if I try to slide it in with moderate force, it still sticks out a tiny bit over the magwell, hitting the mag when I try to insert it. Do me a favor and let me know what Dinzag says.

22, sorry to hear you're in the same boat.

I did some filing/polishing with my dremil and it now slides under enough where you can see just he bottom of the "R". I did a mock up and it feeds reliably with ak mags but the saiga mag will have to be filed to get it to not bump. Although it feeds great, I'm going to try to get it to slide in a little more, because i'm a little wary of how close the screw hole is to the edge of the trunion.

I have been e-mailing back and forth with Dinzag and he has been very helpful. He said that the guide should stick out from the barrel face 0.50" with 0.17" under the chamber. Total length is 0.67". And that you could shorten the "R" end, but just have 0.50" of the guide sticking out.

Hope this info helps, and post your results.

Edited by Res

VERY IMPORTANT

I have worked with Dinzag on my bullet guide and I learned several things.

If the bullet guide will not go under the barrel in the trunnion OR you think it is not where it should be, do not drill any holes. Believe me, I know why.

Usually there is a problem that is not the fault of the bullet guide.

Sometimes there may be a small bit of debris that may need to be removed. I like to use a dental pick. They are strong, very thin and will get under or around just about anything.

After trying to clean under the barrel in the trunnion, put the bullet guide back in and see if it will not go forward.

If it will still not go forward, check for machining marks on the bottom of the trunnion. Take some fine emery paper and clean the trunnion where the bullet guide will go. You may remove the finish, but that's okay.

Put the bullet guide back in and see if it will go forward.

If it still will not go forward you need to contact Dinzag. He can either make a special bullet guide or talk you through to a successful completion.

He will work with you long after most sellers would give up and he is a also a skilled machinist.

louielouie

Edited by louielouie

Louie thanks for the advice.

I didn't grind down the edge any. I only thinned the side of the guide with "R" enough to slide under.

I question i forgot to ask Dinzag that some of you who already installed the guide may answer. Did anyone measure how deep in the screw hole is from the edge of the trunion?

Louie thanks for the advice.

I didn't grind down the edge any. I only thinned the side of the guide with "R" enough to slide under.

I question i forgot to ask Dinzag that some of you who already installed the guide may answer. Did anyone measure how deep in the screw hole is from the edge of the trunion?

Res,

I would gladly get out my caliper and check for you, but unfortunately (and as I sort of hinted at in my posting) my hole was not drilled squarely or correctly. Considering I paid a local machine shop to do it, I might as well have tried myself.

So, I can't tell you because mine is not "right".

Sorry

louielouie

not to run off topic as I am looking into doing this myself and a little confused....... this guide if for all high capacity mags right? including the new surefire 30rd? or do I even need the guide with the surefire mags............ I would assume I do as to help cycling of rounds..... Thanks sorry for being the newb.....

Nate

not to run off topic as I am looking into doing this myself and a little confused....... this guide if for all high capacity mags right? including the new surefire 30rd? or do I even need the guide with the surefire mags............ I would assume I do as to help cycling of rounds..... Thanks sorry for being the newb.....

Nate

I think those SureFire mags don't need the guide. I'm not 100% sure though, there was a thread on them recently, search around, you should be able to find it.

I installed my guide successfully tonight! I just kept thinning it down until i couldn't see the "R" when sliding it under and it worked like a charm. I haven't taken it out shooting yet, but it hand feeds like a champ. The original saiga mag will have to be modified like the directions state.

22_Shooter, if you have anymore questions I will be happy to help you out as much as i can. There was nothing really to it. Just try to thin it evenly and keep the same shape.

Thanks to all.

I had emailed Dinzag yesterday and got a reply today. He checked the batch of guides that mine came from and apparently they were made a tad too thick. He has offered to send me a replacement along with shipping to ship the other one back. Talk about customer service! This man knows how to run a business. :super:

Yeah, I just got my e-mail from him too.

Thats good news for you, and says a lot about the customer service of Dinzag. He has been helping me along the whole time i noticed the problem and is willing to make it right. With a little help from him i was able to make it work.

I know i will definitaly be dealing with him again on any more part I'm going to order.

Take care and Merry Christmas

Dusty

Hey guys, sorry I missed this thread. My PC motherboard fried so I had to borrow a friends short term and only had email.

Res, I sent you a voucher sice you fixed it & all the others (22_shooter & others) a replacement guide and a discount voucher.

Sorry about the fitment issues. I know some of you had planned to get to your installs right away. I failed to inspect them being in a rush. All set now and thank you all for your patience. Especially over the holidays.

Brian

Hey guys, sorry I missed this thread. My PC motherboard fried so I had to borrow a friends short term and only had email.

Res, I sent you a voucher sice you fixed it & all the others (22_shooter & others) a replacement guide and a discount voucher.

Sorry about the fitment issues. I know some of you had planned to get to your installs right away. I failed to inspect them being in a rush. All set now and thank you all for your patience. Especially over the holidays.

Brian

Just got my replacement and voucher today! Thanks again. As Res said, you're customer service is top-notch and that's why you'll have my business in the future :up: .