Confused on Conversion!

Have my S-12 and some parts ordered (Tapco stock, grip, and FCG) so I can't check everything out to tell. Been reading some threads on conversions and wanted to know if I HAVE to remove the trigger guard & lower plate to do the pistol grip and FCG? I thought some were drop in? Do you just remove and discard, or does it need to be replaced with a new lower plate?

While I'm doing this, should I go ahead and replace the stock gas piston? Any reasons other than 922r? Seems I have enough parts to be legal now and would rather spend the money on ammo, unless a new gas piston gives some kind of advantage.

Have my S-12 and some parts ordered (Tapco stock, grip, and FCG) so I can't check everything out to tell. Been reading some threads on conversions and wanted to know if I HAVE to remove the trigger guard & lower plate to do the pistol grip and FCG? I thought some were drop in? Do you just remove and discard, or does it need to be replaced with a new lower plate?

While I'm doing this, should I go ahead and replace the stock gas piston? Any reasons other than 922r? Seems I have enough parts to be legal now and would rather spend the money on ammo, unless a new gas piston gives some kind of advantage.

No advantage to a US piston, except maybe it's the least expensive way to get a part on your gun that says TROMIX on it.

You have to remove the bottom plate and TG because the PG goes where the TG is now. The plate also covers up the precut hole for the trigger to fit thru.

You can pop the TG off the plate and reuse it and the selector stop or you can discard it and buy a regular AK TG and stop. Either one will have to be reattached to the receiver using screws or rivets. I use rivets.

Rusty,

Yes you have to replcae the FCG. Look closly at pictures of stock Saigas and converted guns. When you put the pistol grip on you are actually moving the whole FCG and trigger guard forward about an inch and a half. Back to its designed position. The first two pins you will drill out hold the factory FCG. You will remove those and put your new FCG in the pins up front. :smoke:

Take your bolt out of the weapon and look at the instructions posted on this forum. Take your time and look at all the steps and picture what you will be doing to the gun in your mind. Once you understand the big picture you will be more confident.

Its easy but take your time and do it right. Its not a race bro, you ate performing art work! B)

Yes, I've poked around the tech section a bit and read a lot of the links. Since I don't have the weapon in hand, it was still hard to see what had to be done. Some of the tutorials were for rifles, so I wasn't sure if all the steps applied to the S-12. I ordered some of the replacement swell neck rivets from DPH. Are these DIY types, or they need to be heated up and banged on like "real" rivets?

Well, we are drilling out rivets to replace the FCG. I'd assumed they would be used to fill in the holes left and/or to affix the new FCG. The DPH website shows them as the #1 selling unit, so I figured they must come in handy! Here's the link

http://dpharms.com/ak-receiver-swell-neck-...0b7cb7428d06977

Well, we are drilling out rivets to replace the FCG. I'd assumed they would be used to fill in the holes left and/or to affix the new FCG. The DPH website shows them as the #1 selling unit, so I figured they must come in handy!

Oh that.

I think you should read the tech section. Those old holes can be plugged with inexpensive nylon hole plugs, or the cross-conn suggested "chicago screws" (of which i personally see no advantage at all, since you have to mutilate your stock to use them), or have them professionally welded up.

I didn't do anything to those holes when I converted mine. They are open to the world.

The rivets would be used to attach the trigger guard to the weapon. I used the old trigger guard and bolted it to the gun (using locktite). It works but it is the amature way. You can also get an AK type trigger guard off the web cheap and that would look best riveted. Thats what guys like Cobra & Dinzaq do. Its harder to build (bucking rivets) but it looks soooooo much better, and you never have to worry about the trigger guard bolts getting loose. Now guys like Tony have their own trigger guard that is welded in place and Tonys trigger guard looks fantastic. It is the quickest way to recognize a TROMIX. Look in the photo section of this forum and check out the many different solutions to this part of your build.

I was hoping to do the rivet, but not sure it's a DIY job. I can't weld and don't know anyone that does. I'd rather it looked somewhat professional over just simple bolts as I've seen in some of the conversions. What's the procedure to buck the rivet? Is it cold formed, or do you need to heat them up? How would you do it without beating the crap out of the receiver!

I made a rivet bucking tool from bar stock.

LOL...I was gonna tell ya to go check out my tutorial to see how to buck the rivets but I noticed you were already in there reading when I went there to get the link.

Now it's had 23,611 views...

Yes, I was reading it! Didn't look super hard, or super easy either! I think I'd need 5 hands to buck those rivets!

On the bolted method. Looks like the trigger plate was removed. I thought that plate had to replaced with something or does that plate get tossed and just the TG possibly re-used? I assume the minor rusting is taken care of before refinishing?

On the bolted method. Looks like the trigger plate was removed. I thought that plate had to replaced with something or does that plate get tossed and just the TG possibly re-used? I assume the minor rusting is taken care of before refinishing?

The plate is trash. Yes, you can reuse the trigger guard. That is the easiest and most cost-effective path to follow.

Not sure what that discoloration is, but it's not rust (I don't think), but yeah, you can degrease and throw some primer on it or whatever. The Saiga receivers are paint over parkerizing, so if you don't gouge anything up too badly, rust shouldn't be an issue.