Modifying stock handguard

You must be talking about a rifle forearm. You mean kind of like Devin's been doin em with the big angle to them on the front that shows off the GB?

If you have a miter saw with a carbide tipped blade you can do it with that. That's what I use. If you need it to be a curved cut instead of a straight line, you can use a coping saw and then go back and belt sand it.

End mills work best for doing the cooling slots but you can drone yourself thru it with a drill and dremel.

Just be careful to look out for steel imbedded in the plastic. If you hit that with a miter saw it won't be fun or pretty. If you look on the inside you can see a texture difference where the reinforcing steel is. Take a magnet to it and make sure.

You must be talking about a rifle forearm. You mean kind of like Devin's been doin em with the big angle to them on the front that shows off the GB?...

I have thought of trying to modify the front handguard of my S12 like that, has it been done? I would like to see some mods like that.

hack saw and belt sander / sandpaper on a flat surface / a file

With a belt sander don't let it too hot. it will melt and cause a bigger burred edge to deal with

Work slow and cool with water

my driveway is a good abrasive at times....no joke!!

On a form 1...Waiting on form 4 barrel photochopped...I ain't stupid

Dscf0315short.jpg

Edited by skiboatsp
hack saw and belt sander / sandpaper on a flat surface / a file

With a belt sander don't let it too hot. it will melt and cause a bigger burred edge to deal with

Work slow and cool with water

my driveway is a good abrasive at times....no joke!!

On a form 1...Waiting on form 4 barrel photochopped...I ain't stupid

Dscf0315short.jpg

Holy Cow! Now isn't THAT a most interesting conversion job. Fantastic!!!! .... :super: ... :super: ... :super:

Thanks Gary!!

Form 4 5 weeks out

I have built many more custom parts, ie: muzzle brake, forearm w/ verticle grip/ my own folder stock from billet and tube, billet trigger gaurd, etc.

I will post more pics when paperwork arrives :sorcerer:

Edited by skiboatsp
  • 4 years later...

I'm thinking of doing the same thing, I don't really care for picatinnys I would like to just ad a small section of it on the bottom of the stock forearm, don't see a lot of use for much more than a flashlight and maybe a vertical grip on any shotgun. I am trying to find out more about cutting cooling vents anyone have suggestions?