How do you pull apart the mag?

I read of some of you fellows taking the standard 8rd mag apart and filing it down to hold 10 rounds.

This is possible, right?

Could you guys tell me how to take this mag apart without smashing it to pieces. Call me a drunk but I cant seem to pull this mag apart haha. I just wanted to take a lookin at it.

If you guys could give me some pointers I'd appreciate it

First, lay off the beer, then turn the mag over and push down on the small button in the middle of the bottom of the mag. With the button still depressed, slide the floor plate back taking care that the spring doesn't hit you or anything important - like my wife's decorative dish that was hangin on the wall - let the follower come out.

I dont think Squib addressed it clear enough on the one point he made.

I am guessing you dont have much detachable mag-fed experience with guns, Beer guy, but when you slide the floorplate off the mag, make SURE you are holding onto the mag, and have your hand lightly against the floorplate of the mag as you slide it off, becuase the spring is quite large, and will go QUITE A WAYS across the house, or could actually hurt you pretty good if you hit yourself in the face with it.

Additionally, the easiest and best method that Ive found for reassembling mags with long springs in them , is to hold the mag between both hands, upside down, and using both thumbs alternately, push the spring in one coil at a time with your thumbs. this seems to be easiest for me to prevent deforming the spring on mags. hold your palm over the mag and spring, and slide the floorplate on until the "button" on the plate at the end of the spring stops you from sliding it on further, and it should be enough to hold the whole thing together to simply take your palm off of it, and use the same hand's thumb to push the spring and floorplate into thier proper places.