I built this on a rommy G kit from parts I made.

pict0014of3.jpg

pict0016dy6.jpg

The inside were I attached my braided stainless steel cable to the original trigger.

bullpup018if0.jpg

The magwell were the wire runs through.

bullpup020ok5.jpg

View with the gas tube off of the front trigger

bullpup024ux8.jpg

and the front trigger attached to the wire.

bullpup027of1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Edited by confederateduck
  • Like 1

That's pretty awesome, man! What I've always wondered is why don't people use a thin strip of sheet metal for the trigger linkage? It'd be a whole lot more rigid, and you'd get a more positive reset, I'd think. That whole thing about not being able to push a rope, stupid physics. Ideas?

Oh, and the tan and black works really nicely, IMHO.

Acer

Edited for clarity

And to ask: What's the little wire going around the hammer spring for? Just curious..

Edited by acer_saiga308
What I've always wondered is why don't people use a thin strip of sheet metal for the trigger linkage? It'd be a whole lot more rigid, and you'd get a more positive reset, I'd think. That whole thing about not being able to push a rope, stupid physics.

The wire is in tension while the trigger is being pulled and by the spring when being reset. The "front" trigger has no where to go because it is being held by the trigger spring via the cable. Stiff metal removes the flexing (slack take-up) involved when the cable or wire lacks a straight pull between the front and rear trigger. The spongy feel of most bullpup triggers comes from this type of play in the thin wire or cable. Additionally, mass must be kept to a minimum because it could cause an accidental discharge if dropped or bumped. Wire or cable helps eliminate the mass and forces involved. A forward safety could be employed in the above design, acting as the original AK style, with more of an AR feel and function (a half-moon design).

Great work duck! I bought my Saiga .223 originally to bullpup it, but a Galil movement has me sidetracked.

How's the LOP? The space needed to rock-and-lock the 7.62 mag has my measurements at 16 inches on my FEG AK, hence my leaning toward the .223 Saiga (less space needed to insert straighter mags plus the possibilty of an AR mag adapter). Also, what setup did you use for the Eotech. That's pretty slick!

In seach of a more compact 30 caliber punch, I added a Romy wire folder and PWA brake to a Romy G (instant truck gun). I still like pups, though.

buckmeister

Edited by buckmeister
The wire is in tension while the trigger is being pulled and by the spring when being reset. The "front" trigger has no where to go because it is being held by the trigger spring via the cable. Stiff metal removes the flexing (slack take-up) involved when the cable or wire lacks a straight pull between the front and rear trigger. The spongy feel of most bullpup triggers comes from this type of play in the thin wire or cable. Additionally, mass must be kept to a minimum because it could cause an accidental discharge if dropped or bumped. Wire or cable helps eliminate the mass and forces involved. A forward safety could be employed in the above design, acting as the original AK style, with more of an AR feel and function (a half-moon design).

Thanks for the explanation. I figured mass would be an issue, but if you used thin enough metal, it'd be pretty much a toss-up, no? Heh, here's an oddball idea. How 'bout a 1911-style grip lock? Maybe have 2 pieces of rubber that pinch the sheet metal linkage unless your hand is on the grip? I dunno, I'm just tossing ideas around, I can't see myself doing an AK build anytime soon with my budget. :-(

Acer

Yo duckman,

Can you email me details on the Eotech rail setup. I have a tri-rail mount which may be the same or similar to yours, but am unsure of the configuration/orientation of your specimen. Also, I have a lower HG like yours. How does its mounting differ from standard HG's? I read where the front retainer had to be modified. Is that trigger guard homemade (looks good)?

I am again inspired to take another look at pups.

buckmeister

e_mused{at}yahoo{dot}com

Edited by buckmeister
Nice work duck i've got something similar going on right now .410

post-6703-1200845489_thumb.jpg

Sweet, butt Can you get mags out of that thing?

I can get my custom 9 rounder out fairly easy and 4 rounders are no problem at all.

I like what y'all are doing with these guns. Maybe we can get a sticky on how to make these conversions when it's all said and done.

I pulled out my notes and info on bullpups, my tape-measure, and my Saiga 223.

To have a LOP of around 14 inches, the rear trunnion tang would need to be chopped, and a 20 inch barrel is needed to obtain an OAL of 26 inches (or permanently pin a FH). With the rear tang attached and a 16 inch barrel, the OAL is just over 26 inches, but LOP is 16 inches.

The Galil AR mag adapter would alter the above issue to a degree. A Robinson M96 magwell might be modified to use (Link). A sheet metal magwell could be fagricated (aka Bill Holmes design) like this one: Link.

The braided wire trigger bar may be the best solution to the bends and turns needed to connect the front and rear triggers. A rigid bar would enable a fore mounted safety.

If a 3-4 inch sheet metal channel were used to hold the PG and front trigger ass'y, the original HG would serve effectively to insulate the shooter from the hot barrel. Originally I had planned to drive the rear sight pin out on my 16 inch Saiga and replace it with a longer one, and it serve as the attachment point just as factory issued. The AMD HG is an elegant solution; with it, I like YHM' s folding VG's... they have an AUG look to them.

I was looking at using the side-rail-scope-mount to attach a cheekrest.

I found some good ideas here: Bullpups

Just some food for thought,

buckmeister