Modding Your Mag

Deer season is going on here in MI and gun season opens the 15th. The problem is that the maximum number or rounds in any semi-automatic rifle is 6. Has anyone run into this problem and come up with a fix for it?

Here's what the DNR has to say:

If you use a semi-automatic rifle or a semi-automatic shotgun, other than a .22 caliber rifle, the firearm cannot be capable of holding more than 6 rounds in the barrel and magazine combined. This restriction does not apply to bolt action, lever action, or other firearms that are not semi-automatics.

So what do I need to do to limit my magazine to 5 rounds? I was thinking of adding something to the underside of the follower. Any ideas?

Heh... I hope not to miss. I'll be using iron sights, but I don't think it'll be a problem with the longest shot from my blind being 60-80 yds.

If I can get more than one shot off I'll take it, though if you don't hit with your first shot chances are slim on a second. The other problem is that there are quite a few bear in the area (12 taken this year) and Elk are in the rut (read MEAN). I'll have my .357 on me as well, but the more firepower the merrier.

MrGrey: what you can do for a simple fix, is do what the waterfoulers here do. block up your mag. take the floorplate off your mag, and if you havent done this before, the spring is fairly long and compressed, so watch OUT! and use caution. take the spring out, load 5 rounds into it against the follower, and measure how long of a block of wood to cut and put that into your mag under the spring. this might cause you grief later on when you take the block of wood out, as it might overcompress your spring over time with the magazine loaded. just only load it when you are out on a hunt is all. unload it at camp, or at least take a few rounds out of it, and dont leave it loaded at home. Should be your easiest and quickest solution. here in NY, we have a 2 + 1 round limit on shotguns, and a 4 +1 round limit i think it is on centerfire rifles when the game warden is concerned, so dont feel bad about the low capacity afield laws. what do you wanna do anyway? take a durm mag out and shoot the whole flock of deer? come on now. they dont even issue enough tags for you to do that. better have a LOTTA buddies with ya with tags if that's legal in your state, which i highly doubt it is in any state.

Thanks for the idea... I'll give that a try.

While I do bird hunt (Upland) I don't do a lot of water fowl so I don't have to plug my shotgun.

Here in MI you can actually get permits for "harvesting" large amounts of deer. Farmers get special permits to take as many deer as they need (on their private property).

yeh, we have "large varmint" permits here too. a lot of farmers have them, and the ones that dont? well, they kill the ones that eat thier crops anyway. Some law here says if its threatening your crop or livestock, you can shoot it, so a lot of guys just go with that. I think you have to call the game warden or something to witness where it was shot before you touch the thing after you shoot it or some funcky crap like that.

MrGrey: when you do make a block for a mag like an AK47's, you should make it fill the mag as best as possible to prevent the spring from conpressing down around the plug. you can do this by screwing a thin piece of 1/4" plywood shaped to exactly match the inside dimensions of the magazine body to your block, and cut a scrap piece of 3/4" wood (i think it was 3/4" that a friend used) in that familiar curved shape if you plan to block up a larger one, like a 20 round mag. If the spring does fall around the block, you have to make sure that the block fits up into the follower instead, and also make SURE that the spring moves freely (chances are it will not), or else you can expect to jam up. Id suggest the first method, but Im sure you'll figure it out.

Myself, if I were doing this, I would use this method on a cheap 5 dollar 20 round AK mag, but you would need to put a feed ramp on it for a saiga rifle, i suppose. then i'd call the local anti-assault weapons media up and have them take my picture with the obvious assault weapon in the hunter's hands with the dead deer that was just donated to a soup kitchen for the poor and spread it around to the local papers like a plague. :) but that's just me, of course....

Myself, if I were doing this, I would use this method on a cheap 5 dollar 20 round AK mag, but you would need to put a feed ramp on it for a saiga rifle, i suppose. then i'd call the local anti-assault weapons media up and have them take my picture with the obvious assault weapon in the hunter's hands with the dead deer that was just donated to a soup kitchen for the poor and spread it around to the local papers like a plague.  but that's just me, of course....

That would be so awesome, I might do that just for the hell of it. Just fill the mag with great stuff, and use a small spring.

Well... I've got my stock Saiga 10rnd mag down to 5 rounds....

I used a PCI slot cover (from a PC case) bent and looped over the spring itself near the follower. Crude but effective. I'll try an post pics tomorrow.

As for the anti-assault media... People are already pretty pro gun here in MI, but it would be pretty funny...

MrGrey: I also sent this info to you via email but someone may find this useful.

I bought a used Saiga 5 round mag at a local gun shop and compared it to the 10 round magazine sold with the Saiga. It's easy to convert a 10 rounder to a 5 rounder.

If you look at the 10 rounder, about an inch or so up from the bottom is a ridge that goes across the magazine. If you cut the bottom of the magazine off just below the ridge (disassemble the magazine first!), the ridge is actually the place where the metal bottom plate of the magazine slides on and attaches on a 5 rounder. Saiga just uses 1 injection mold to make 2 different magazines. I always wondered why that goofy ridge was there.

Edited by ProgCoder

That sucks having low cap law for deer hunting. I think that all the ideas would work, but why ruin a mag for just a short time deer hunting. I would buy a 5 round mag OR I would place a block of wood, plastic, or whatever INSIDE the spring thereby limiting round capacity without perminatly changing the mag or over copressing the spring. give it a try and experiment to make sure that you don't get a jam when your huge buck passes by

Guys listen; you are making a storm on a glass of water.

Like Hunter78 says, go to home depot or any hardware store, they sale

these wood rods in different sizes from ¼ to 1 inch by 3 foot long

cut the rod to the length that you need and install inside the spring

the wood will not let the follower go all the way. After the hunt is over

just remove the wood and you have 10 round mag again, with out

destroying the mag in any way.

Or get two 5 rounds mags for ak and modify them to work on the saiga,

and yes, I have hunt deer and hogs with it, and no, you do not need

30 rounds to kill anything one or 2 shoots and there it goes down.

and if you cannot hit the deer with the saiga, get your shotgun

get 00-buckshot copper plated on 3 inch and there you go, hits

at 60 yards max on pigs and deer all down and eaten to the bone.

By the way, the 00-buck copper plated will give you the distance

if no copper plated just lead, 40 yards sure kill, and chokes to use

Cyl, Imp.Cyl, Mod, but modify will give the distance.

I will say one thing. a 20 dollar 5 round mag (dont ask, im in NY) and a deer tag is a LOT cheaper than buying 150 pounds of venison or even 150 pounds of beef for that matter.....we get 3 tags here, so it works out even better.