New member, new Saiga owner

After about a month of research and deliberating, I just picked up a Saiga 7.62, 20" barrel at my local gun shop. I was looking for a relatively inexpensive 7.62 for plinking and coyote/varmint shooting, and it was either that or the Yugo SKS they had for a about $100 less, but after examining the Yugo, and weighing all my options, I opted for the Saiga.

I don't have any immediate plans on modifying it, I kind of like the way it looks as it is.

I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I have a question.

In the package insert that came with the gun, the test data filled out by whoever did the QC says that it gives a 104 millimeter spread at 100 meters, which translates to about 4 inches. This seems a bit high to me. Is this something to be concerned about, or is this standard, considering that these guys probably aren't taking their sweet time in aiming since they probably have to do this a lot?

Thanks.

After about a month of research and deliberating, I just picked up a Saiga 7.62, 20" barrel at my local gun shop. I was looking for a relatively inexpensive 7.62 for plinking and coyote/varmint shooting, and it was either that or the Yugo SKS they had for a about $100 less, but after examining the Yugo, and weighing all my options, I opted for the Saiga.

I don't have any immediate plans on modifying it, I kind of like the way it looks as it is.

In the package insert that came with the gun, the test data filled out by whoever did the QC says that it gives a 104 millimeter spread at 100 meters, which translates to about 4 inches. This seems a bit high to me. Is this something to be concerned about, or is this standard, considering that these guys probably aren't taking their sweet time in aiming since they probably have to do this a lot?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum, and awesome name!

Mine stated 3". I'm thinking you're right, they probably don't take the time to "shoot for groups". But from what I've seen people post, 4" is not out of the norm.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum, and awesome name!

Mine stated 3". I'm thinking you're right, they probably don't take the time to "shoot for groups". But from what I've seen people post, 4" is not out of the norm.

Thanks for the reply. I also post at thehighroad, thefiringline, and rugerforum under the same name.

Can you get yours to shoot better than 3" in your hands? I'm guessing they aren't using scopes when they QC these rifles.

Edited by MortalWombat
Thanks for the reply. I also post at thehighroad, thefiringline, and rugerforum under the same name.

Can you get yours to shoot better than 3" in your hands? I'm guessing they aren't using scopes when they QC these rifles.

I'm ashamed to say, I haven't taken it out past, I'd say 75 yards. That's mostly due to where I shoot, but if you read around here, people get better groups than 4". Another member, Saiganoobie, was hitting a target at 500+ yards! I don't think he shoots at that distance on a regular basis, but hey, it's nice to hear it being done.

I think my 7.62 paperwork said it did 5" at 100 m (prob. just below where they pull them off the line....) I think they shoot them off a locked support, not hand held. And just ck grouping.

I have bad eyes anyway - I use a scope and all I know is I can kill the enemy w/ just about Every shot at 100 yds. - even if it hits 4-5 in. from where I aim. Plus, using hi-cap mags - rapid fire is lethal 100% of the time.

Edited by BullShark012
I think my 7.62 paperwork said it did 5" at 100 m (prob. just below where they pull them off the line....) I think they shoot them off a locked support, not hand held. And just ck grouping.

I have bad eyes anyway - I use a scope and all I know is I can kill the enemy w/ just about Every shot at 100 yds. - even if it hits 4-5 in. from where I aim. Plus, using hi-cap mags - rapid fire is lethal 100% of the time.

I had a chance to shoot it after work yesterday at an indoor range which allows rifles. But it was only 25 yards. Just using the iron sights, and considering that the end of the range was pretty dark where my target was, I was able to get about a 1" group while resting the rifle on my backpack. This was with Silver Bear 125 gr FMJ. I guess this translates to about 4 MOA, correct? All in all I'm pretty happy with it. I have never been accused of being an expert shot, since I don't get to shoot rifles too often. Maybe if I put a scope on it and have better lighting and some good ammo, I could get it under 3 MOA. I'll just have to use it for what it is: a 100 yard coyote and plinking gun (and SHTF gun if it would come to it). Which is fine by me. If I want to shoot anything smaller than a coyote, I would probably use my Marlin .22 anyway, and there really isn't anything larger than a coyote that we can legally hunt in Illinois with a rifle anyway (have to use shotguns, handguns or black powder for deer).

But it was a blast to shoot. I've never shot 7.62X39 before, or semi auto rifles before either. My only experience with long guns has been with .22 bolt actions, my 12 ga side by side coach gun, and a friend's WWI era bolt action rifle (and my Daisy 880 air rifle growing up).

It was nothing like shooting my coach gun, which I would describe as getting punched in the shoulder area. The bolt action rifle my friend had (I can't remember the caliber, but it was probably on the order of .30-06 or .303 British. It's been almost 15 years) was like a hard sharp slap. The Saiga was more like a firm, but gentle, push. I was pleasantly surprised.

I can't wait to take it out this weekend to my brother-in-law's property for some coyote hunting.

Edited by MortalWombat

if your really worred about grouping, swap out your standard irons for a better set or get optics and don't use junk ammo. there's a few guys here that have drop a buck more then 200 yards out using a saiga =D they are accurate enough, you may not be able to pick off a fly off a deer's ass at 400 yards but u might take something else off instead lol

i use wolf ammo and get a flyaway bout one per box....and i guess u could consider it junk ammo...oh well

Edited by Vultite

Your gun should shoot far better than what the quality control paper says. I had the same concern and contacted RAA about it. Long story short. I talked the the RAA rep on the phone to voice my concerns, and he simple told me that if it don't shoot better than what the quality control paper says, they would bend over backwards to make me happy. He returned my call after only 20 minutes. That's damn good customer service in my book.

They shoot them off hand as a function test, and who knows what quality of ammo they are shooting. Mine shoots far better than the 5" spread my quality control paper says.

The problem with extreme spreads in my experience has been with the ammo. In today's world, the ammo manufacturers are running at peak capacity to keep up with global demand, and quality suffers of consequence.

Mine shoots 2.5-3" five shot groups at 100. However, I often times get a flyer that is way off the target at times. So clean it good, and take your time sighting it in. Most of your groupings should be very good, but like I said, the occasional flyer will change an otherwise good group to bad.