Ever since i got my saiga 7.62 last Thursday i've been wanting to have the full ak look. Im wondering which one is more accurate between a romy g AK build or a romanian wasr 10?

Get a lower handguard retainer and a gas tube with handguard retainers and wood furniture. Your saiga can have the REAL RUSSIAN look. But a Romy G build would be fun to do as well.

Edited by Superhawk138

so the wasr is out. How about saiga vs romy g when it comes to accuracy? If both are close then i'll just do a saiga conversion because it will save me the time and i will know the parts are new. the problem is that i need to either use the MMG or a bullet button/mag lock

Go for the Saiga.

It's a new rifle and can be converted to look any way you like.

The Romy G will be rebuilt from parts kits that came from who-knows-where and will somewhat depend on the builder as to how it comes out.

i just finished calculating the costs between a Romy G build against a Saiga conversion and found that the Romy will cost around $300 for the basic setup without labor costs. When i mean basic it mean just enough to meet 922r standards: FCG (3), Receiver (1), Gas Piston (1). You can add 3 more parts with buttstock, handguard, and pistol grip but then the cost will probably increase from $50-150 depending on material making a grand estimate of $400 without labor. For the Saiga i found that it will be just under $400 with simple home tools. And like you said nalioth...i dont know what condition the romy g kit is and how well the builder can assemble it. At least I (the builder) can judge his own work.

Pretty soon I fear the decission will have been made for you.....last of the cheap Romy G kits look to be rapidly drying up along with a lot of the barrel'd AK kits in general. If you look at most of the Big names in custom AK's (Tromix, AK 103, Krebs, and RA to name a few), they use Saiga and VEPR models as a base for their builds. That alone should say something.

I also find that the WASR's are generally under rated for the price... if you know what to do to deal with any issues.

I also find that the WASR's are generally under rated for the price... if you know what to do to deal with any issues.

So what kind of tinkering must be done to make the WASR up to par? Im eager to listen and learn.

If you buy one in person, you'll have no issues. Buy one without any canted front sight blocks or gas blocks.

You should see the words "Tapco" on the side of the trigger, but if it's not there, it's no biggie.

Buying one in person is hard for me because not a lot of dealers in PRK sells AK's. Do you know of any reputable dealers that sell a wasr without canted sights and such? Or is it more than a 50% chance that the rifle will have the common imperfections??

Buying one in person is hard for me because not a lot of dealers in PRK sells AK's. Do you know of any reputable dealers that sell a wasr without canted sights and such? Or is it more than a 50% chance that the rifle will have the common imperfections??

It's not even that much.

They import these in the hundreds of thousands. Those rifles that are 'undesirable' are gonna be here in higher numbers due to that fact. It's all in the percentages.

I've got a WASR10, a WASR2 and a WASR3 that I ordered from online dealers and none have any of these problems. The vast majority of them do not.

What happens is that since there are more 'bad rifles' imported by percentage, we hear more about 'bad WASRS' from folks.

Yea, what nalioth said. And even if the front sight is canted, it's an easy fix. The only other issue I've seen personally is poor fit, or excessive movement in the magwell opening (Century enlarges them to accept the hi capacity mags), and WASR's have shim plates, rather than dimpled receivers. I've found that the Bulgarian waffle mags fit a bit tighter. I have an older model, I don't know if they still do this, but the barrel threads were cut to 1/2"-20. I purchased an unthreaded adapter from Chris Buttler and tapped the barrel threads in it to allow the use of an AK 74 brake (or you can stick with the slant brake that they come with). Park finish is kind of poor also, but can be top coated with the product of your choice...same goes for the stock set.

what kind of receiver do i need to use if i plan on using the G2 FCG from Tapco? I did some research on websites and found that it will not work on the NDS-3 receiver. Or is there some modification that needs to be done?

No. you are reading 'lawyer speak' for "we produced a single run of NDS-3 receivers that didn't work very well with Tapco G2 FCGs".

I've built over 3 dozen NDS-3 AKs with Tapco G2s and not seen any issues.

I don't think you'll have any problems with an NDS-3 and the Tapco G2.

is that when using the singe hook trigger or the double?

forgive me if i ask too many questions..i just want to do things right the first time.

The NDS-3 is set up for a single hook trigger.

You may opt to cut another slot in the receiver if you with to use a double hook trigger, or you can mod one of the trigger arms to work in the receiver.

Horribly disfigured (but fully functional) double hook trigger for use in a single hook receiver.

dblsgl_675.JPG

okay im convinced to do a romy g build. I've been browsing around different websites and narrowed it down to a few places that carry the romy g kit. Do you guys know of any reputable place that you would recommend?

http://www.gunthings.com/ (click AK-47)

http://www.copesdistributing.net/product_i...products_id=109 (This place increased their price from $139.99 to 149.99)

okay im convinced to do a romy g build. I've been browsing around different websites and narrowed it down to a few places that carry the romy g kit. Do you guys know of any reputable place that you would recommend?

http://www.gunthings.com/ (click AK-47)

http://www.copesdistributing.net/product_i...products_id=109 (This place increased their price from $139.99 to 149.99)

Both of those vendors are top drawer. Both will treat you right.