Shortening a barrel

I was thinking of shortening the barrel on a 22 in. S-308, to 18in., and setting back the FSB.

Has anyone done this, and how difficult was relocating the FSB?

My thoughts were to ream it if possible to get a slip fit, instead of a press fit, and use tapered pins, like on the AR-15.

Also, are there any reliability problems when the barrel is shortened?

Not difficult to do. I cut mine back to 16.1" You should re crown the barrel though, I did. Dinzag rents a kit to do this and also has a kit for threading it. I sent him my FSB and he reamed it out to fit. I'll be reinstalling it with normal crosspins into notches I cut in the barrel.

Remove you FSB

Chop the barrel as square as you can get it(chop saw and clamps?)

Rent the crowning tools from Dinzag

Have your FSB reamed(check your diameter first)

Press on your FSB and index it then have your pins drilled out on a milling machine.

Remove you FSB

Chop the barrel as square as you can get it(chop saw and clamps?)

Rent the crowning tools from Dinzag

Have your FSB reamed(check your diameter first)

Press on your FSB and index it then have your pins drilled out on a milling machine.

I'm familiar with the work. I'm confident I can do it right the first time on my valued Saiga 308. I just don't know where I can get my hands on all the necessary tools for the whole job! :cryss: (There's probably a few others like me.)

I tried to pay an experienced gunsmith. He told me that it would cost me more than the value of the gun.

I've since convinced myself that I really want my 21" barrel as it is...lol

Edited by jakemccoy
I tried to pay an experienced gunsmith. He told me that it would cost me more than the value of the gun.

Worth is a pretty subjective thing. I've dumped some serious coin into my Saiga, because it was worth it to me. I've also seen some custom Saiga .308's go for as much as $1200 on gunbroker, so I'm confident I could get my investment back if I wanted. Depending on what the gunsmith wants to charge you, chances are you could get that back if you sell it.