I have owned 3 Saiga 308s and my current one is the 21" barrel version with synthetic furniture. I have never used a bi pod on any of my Saigas,but would appreciate your suggestions on where on the gun would be the best place to mount a bipod in order to achieve the best accuracy. I've used,on other rifles, the clamp on barrel bi pods and the type that fit on the forearm swivel stud and have one on the way for my current 308, that will attach into the screw hole where the back of the foreend scews into the front underside of the receiver. Thanks

The best place, is on a railed lower hand guard, rearward towards the magazine. If this is not an option, mounting as far back from the muzzle as possible will put less l upward leverage on the barrel.

NO - IMHO - The best place is forward on the receiver - just behind the HG, and just forward of the magazine...

Think Israeli Galatz...

You want to take all tension off of the barrel and hand guards....

...But that is only if you want better accurcy...

Just my HO...

Macbeau sends...

Edited by macbeau

The best place for a bipod on ANY rifle to be used as a DMR/sniping is not to have one. Learn to shoot off your pack/ruck. Cradling your weapon for accurate, steady firing. A bipod is nice to have to prop up the rifle for internet picture taking IMO. Here are the specific reasons why NOT to use a bipod :

1. extra weight is added to weapon.

2. causes problems with barrel harmonics.

3. impossible to stalk and crawl into firing position without your weapon/bipod getting snagged on every twig and branch in the forest/jungle.

As I said.......get proficient at shooting from off your pack/ruck. It's always with you anyway so make good use of it. There are very good reasons why the USMC teaches their scout snipers this technique. I mentioned the most important above. Any rail that protrudes from the bottom of the front handguard is a no-no as well. When firing from supported position (off pack/ruck) you want your rifle to recoil in a straight line "sliding" smoothly rearward and then having the rifle return to the original position to allow for a quick follow up on the target. ANY protrusion on the front of the rifle such as a rail or sling attachment will prevent this from happening. Sling mounts should be on the side of the rifle's furniture or have quick detatch, flush fit mounting hardware.

Edited by Crazdgunman

I'm getting a bi pod from a trade deal I struck, and this particular bi pod attach into the screw hole, that holds the screw, that fastens the foreend into the bottom/front of the receiver. It's the same screw and hole that you remove to remove the foreend off the rifle. So, this should be just in front of the magazine.In fact,when I shoot this gun,resting on sandbag,I have been resting the gun just in front of the mag,with good results. Thanks for all your learned opiniions.

The way I see it, whether you use a pack or bipod, it'll still affect barrel harmonics unless it's full floated or off the receiver. If the accuracy doesn't suffer, I see no reason why not to use a bipod on a swivel stud as most of us go to the range to shoot recreationally. For hunting, that's a different story. I've never liked bipods/supports close to the receiver as it's harder to keep the rifle stable that way (minute movement seems to get amplified vs. having it out near the end of the forearm). I've fired plenty of great groups with forearm mounted bipods and they're great for bench shooting IMO. If for some wild reason I was forced to "snipe" with my weapon of choice, the bipod would come off, I suppose.

I can't get a Harris bipod to fit on the rear screw of the forward handguard on my .308 but I did adapt one for my x39. It's sweet. Folds forward, the 9" legs are long enough to hold a 30rd mag off the ground by 1/2". I'll try to get pictures one day :)