I have seen topics for using e-clips, hitch pin clips, wires (created and purchased), and modified Tapco retaining plates but this little gem is not mentioned very much.

I ran across it while looking at the Krebs sights that get brought up more frequently. I had messed around with the hitch pins and while they worked on the trigger pin they were too long to work on the S12 hammer pin and the sight rail rivet was also in the way for what I would consider a secure fit.

They are not .89 cents but I'm willing to skip a couple of trips to McDonalds to pay for the piece of mind.

Picture of the plate by itself cut specifically for the s12.

post-8015-1203896590_thumb.jpg

Picure of the plate installed in the s12.

post-8015-1203896628_thumb.jpg

So there you have it a Saiga12 specific retaining plate for the same cost as a Tapco non specific plate. I'm a fan.

The trick to installing these with a bolt hold open is to drop the leg of the spring off the BHO (or wait to install the leg onto the BHO until the plate is in place) and then to rotate the BHO up and out of the way. Then once the safety lever is installed you can rotate the BHO down into place and lift the spring leg into place. If you don't move the BHO out of the way you'll not be able to install the safety selector into the receiver as it will make contact with the BHO.

post-8015-1203896939_thumb.jpg

post-8015-1203896598_thumb.jpg

I installed one in my s12 and it's flat. Why is yours bent?

Nico,

That is the way all of the shotgun specific ones I ordered came and it fits in very nicely as it is flat against the receiver and the bend matches up with the lower part of the rail keeping it flat there as well. (check out picture 2)

These were just delivered last week to give you a point of reference.

I installed one in my s12 and it's flat. Why is yours bent?

Nico,

That is the way all of the shotgun specific ones I ordered came and it fits in very nicely as it is flat against the receiver and the bend matches up with the lower part of the rail keeping it flat there as well. (check out picture 2)

These were just delivered last week to give you a point of reference.

That may be why I had to work on mine to get it to fit.

I think that's the point - these are new. Standard retaining plates are a PITA and take a lot of mods.

I don't see the on the Kreb's sight. Just out of curiosity, how much do they run?

Jim

From the Home Page go to Custom Parts> Kalashnikov parts> then scroll down 3/4 of the page. $9.50 listed right next to the standard "Rifle" one.

You need to specify which one you want when ordering "rifle" or "shotgun". I called just to be sure I got the correct parts since they share a product number.

"KCI TRIGGER PIN RETAINING PLATE FOR AK RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS

CATALOG NUMBER 48"

Link

http://www.krebscustom.com/PartsPages/KalashnikovParts.shtml

Just an FYI the S20 is a standard flat "rifle" plate and I would imagine the .410 is also but I do not own one to verify. It is the S12 with its unique rails that causes the plate fit issue and is the Shotgun they refer to.

Ah -- I made the mistake of looking at the index and looking for S12 parts! I only saw the Krebs sights. $9.50 is a pretty decent price -- the standard plates usually run around $12. It would have been well worth it to avoid the frustration when I did my S12 conversion!

Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention!

Jim

I looked at buying this part, but the shipping costs just as much as the retaining plate! Any ideas? Does anyone else offer it, or will KCI just stick it in a USPS padded envelope? Seems a waste to pay $9.50 for the plate and $9.25 for UPS ground.

Any other Saiga owners in the metro Atlanta area that want to order anything from these folks? We could combine shipping and save a good bit here. One or two would make a big difference in price. Just PM me.

I looked at buying this part, but the shipping costs just as much as the retaining plate! Any ideas? Does anyone else offer it, or will KCI just stick it in a USPS padded envelope? Seems a waste to pay $9.50 for the plate and $9.25 for UPS ground.

Any other Saiga owners in the metro Atlanta area that want to order anything from these folks? We could combine shipping and save a good bit here. One or two would make a big difference in price. Just PM me.

You might want to give them a call the website seems to add at least $10 shipping but when I ordered my 4 the total was $4 shipping on the phone. YMMV

I noticed on the website today (as I was about to call them) that there's a disclaimer under the retaining plate saying that shipping will be adjusted to USPS. I'm not sure if I missed this phrase initially or if they've added it since.

Cool!

"NOTE: Orders containing only trigger pin retaining plates will be shipped USPS Priority Mail at a flat rate of $4.60. Please select the UPS Ground shipping option. Shipping costs will be adjusted prior to shipment."

I placed my order today!

I got a e-mail telling me that they adjusted the shipping cost down to USPS rates.

Sweeeet. Actually, it is not the cost adjustment that matters, but the fact the USPS packages get me in two days. UPS seems to hold ground shipment for 4 or 5 days at Jacksonville, Florida just to make sure that I have to wait for 8 days to get my package.

I actually don't know why any business ships UPS. The Post Office ain't the same old Post Office. I don't know what lit a fire under their a**es, but what ever it was it worked.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

OK so I'm about 75% done with my conversion. I used a SaigaTech conversion TG, notched the BHO for the safety, and got everything ALMOST put back together.

I can't get the hammer pin to drift all the way back in. It's sticking out about 1/16", just far enough that I can't get the Krebs plate to snap on. I've tried driving it with a punch, doesn't seem to work. I don't see anything binding or holding it up... ideas?

Help!

(This is the last step before I throw the safety back in, put on the stock/PG, and function test/ fire! Need some quick help please!)

• 1 year later...

when do you install the retainer plate. I cannot get mine installed no matter what order I try to assemble the FCG in.

You have to modify the safty and BHO in order to gain the nessisary clearance.

I don't have a Pic of the BHO modified, you simply ned to cut a slit in it to allow the safty to pass through

The 2 attached pics show how the safty will need to be clearanced for the disconector. remove as little as possible, and be sure to do a function check afterwards to verify proper safty function.

P3100207.JPG

P3100208.JPG