Saiga 12 optics

That mount puts the optic up too high. You would be much better off with the BP-02 low-mount rail:

IMG_1194.JPG

Freedomoptics has them for ~$50 shipped.

The BP-02 AK-to-Weaver Low mount is the way to go. I've used them on my Saiga-12's for a while now. Freedom Optics has great, fast service. They have bumped the price up to $59 as I just ordered another recently for another Saiga. You can find them on GunBroker.com for about $50. Just make sure they are marked 'Made in Belarus' on the mount (visible on any front-on photo). Unmarked ones are brittle knock-off junk that do not remain secure.

The tall version you have, an aquaintance of mine has mounted on his Romanian RPK hvy. barrel with a Russian 4x POSP scope. Nice set up that leaves the iron sights operable while mounted.

Edgar

Also, there are rumors that eventually LaRue will be producing a dedicated AK/Aimpoint mount. But, with their current backlog for military, who knows.

LaRue mounts are totally AWESOME.....

....and awesomely too-damned-expensive (IMHO). You could likely count on a friggen LaRue mount that size to cost you as much as a brand new in the box Saiga-12.

I admire LaRue's ingenuity and design.... I just think the prices one pays for what they get is a little ridiculous.

I admire LaRue's ingenuity and design.... I just think the prices one pays for what they get is a little ridiculous.

I do agree they are expensive. But then they ARE running at capacity right now with something like 30 CNC machines.

Besides, you get free hat and bottle opener swag! ;P

After emailing Tantal I have been looking at a EKP-8-02 Kobra sight for my S-12. He said that the EKP-8-02 would be the correct optic for the S-12. Does anyone have any experience with this setup? I would like to hear some feedback before shelling out the cash.

I know that there may be better US made red-dot optics but I would like to keep it as Russian as possible.

The TruGlo TruPoint (similar to a Docter) has the lowest optic I've used on the BP-02. You can get a hair lower if you do a barrel-mounted rail, but unless you lower the rail on the BP-02 or get a barrel mount that allows you to co-witness the iron sights... you're not going to get any lower. For the $$ and the flexibility of removal... the BP-02 is hard to beat - especially for me because with the Ace ARFX stock, the optic lines up damn near perfectly for my line of sight. But, I might just have to cut a spare picatanny rail and mount to the lower surface of the mount between the high points (as noted in the link to ARFCOM) in the posting above.

My bird gun.

DSC03167.jpg

Edited by RDSWriter