21" cut or 16" ......help

I want to get a black handled 308 ...just need to know ..is it better to get the 21 and cut it down so you can thread the barrel after reattaching the front sight . ......The 16 the front sight is right on the end ...so if you moved it back to thread the barrel you would have the sight pin holes to fight with ...I want to eventually convert it to AK style............untill then...... is there any real difference in accuracy? thanks

Mine started out life as a 22, later cut down to 16. Accuracy has not been a problem with either length, you will loose some velocity though. If you plan on threading the barrel, length really isn't an issue either. You would still have to remove the FSB and cut the metal cap off, bore it out, and replace it.

My 16" is capable of 1.5 to 2" groups at 100yds.

Bill

I'd second Bill's comment.

I shot a 2 inch group with iron sights this weekend with a 16 inch barrel. Off hand, I shoot regularly in the 3-4 inch range. This isn't a testament to me. Frankly, this rifle will reliably shoot much better than my skill level.

What is your intended use and necessary range? Will you mod the rifle? That might help you discriminate on the best barrel length.

i'll 3rd Bill's.

i'm pretty new at this but i managed a 1 inch group at 50 yards (cheap ammo, no rest, just a hasty sling) ...that should be around 2 inches at 100 right?..i can knock out clay targets at a 100 with no problem. anyway, i like the short version.

i'm a rather short guy too. (5'7, 5'7 and a half on a good day)... thus, the shorter rifle just fits me perfect.

No there is not any noticeable difference in accuracy, and some will say the shorter barrel is more accurate. If you have access to a hacksaw and a crowning tool, cutting it is super-easy. I'm sure if you're planning on threading it yourself, you have the skills necessary. I think someone on this forum rents the crowning tool.

One more thing, once converted, the 22" barrel makes the gun really front-heavy. After cutting it, it has a much better balance.

If you do get the 22 and cut it, do us all a favor - Shoot with the same ammo, same environmental conditions before and after, and document it! Maybe we can settle the long vs. short debate once and for all!