HELL OF A TIME!!!

ok...so i started dicking with my .308 since i have my Saigunov stuff on the way. has anyone else had a hellofa time getting the gas tube off? i don't want to bend anything or mess anything up so i thought id ask about it first. what do i do?

A)pry on it with a screwdriver?

B)force it by hand?

C)throw it in the garbage?

ok...so i started dicking with my .308 since i have my Saigunov stuff on the way. has anyone else had a hellofa time getting the gas tube off? i don't want to bend anything or mess anything up so i thought id ask about it first. what do i do?

A)pry on it with a screwdriver?

B)force it by hand?

C)throw it in the garbage?

it should come right off move the lever up alittle more. or back. its just a small spring that hold pressure to the block.

Errr, uhhh... You did take the bolt carrier/gas piston out first, right? Beyond that, just flip the little lever on the right side of the rear sight so the it's pointing straight up and the gas tube should come out...

Macbeau sends...

D. Send it to me. :lolol::lolol:

The gunky paint the factory makes things TIGHT. I had to use the slot in the side of the cleaning kit (if you didn't get one in the gun, it is the same as any standard AK "but hole " kit) as a handle to move the release lever, and it took a good pull to get the tube out.

I does get easier, after a few times no tools are necessary.

For what it's worth, mine is a royal pain the butt to remove as well. My other AKs have been easy, but not my Saiga .308. I have to remove the forend on mine, and grab it like a gorilla to get it off. For some reason it fits extremely snug, almost like they didn't reduce it to the proper length.

Errr, uhhh... You did take the bolt carrier/gas piston out first, right? Beyond that, just flip the little lever on the right side of the rear sight so the it's pointing straight up and the gas tube should come out...

Macbeau sends...

:rolleyes: Hate to admit that I sat there for about 15 minutes trying to get the tube off once before I remembered the carrier/piston was still in there. felt real bright.

Macbeau sends...

:rolleyes: Hate to admit that I sat there for about 15 minutes trying to get the tube off once before I remembered the carrier/piston was still in there. felt real bright.

LOL...no i have everything stripped, its just in there tight. ill have to get the BFH out i believe. i did watch my friend try to take the gas tube off with the bolt carrier still in there. i just laughed and waited till he figured it out..i learned from HIS mistake!

Whew! Okay...

The back of the gas tube (the rear sight base side) has a spring on it the goes around the circumferance of that end. Sometimes, it has gotten fused with the paint and sits tight against the release lever when new... I'd try coaxing it out with a flat tip screw driver and avoid the FBH for now. Maybe even spray it with some WD-40, or something first. It'll come out - I just needs encouragement.

What the old Robin Williams line? Men spend 9 months to get out of the womb and the rest of their lives trying to get right back in.... Once you get it out, going back in (and re-removal) should be easier.... :rolleyes:

I have had mine apart several times and it's a booger to get out especialy the first time I'm arround all weekend I can show you if you need to see it done give me a hollar

and ya I left the bolt in it one time too while trying to remove it :o

Edited by manta