That part counts as 1 US part on your compliance count. Slap that on the back of your rifle and you can us US Made hi-cap mags without fear.

You are correct, in a way.

That buttstock assembly consists of two countable parts. Since the Saiga doesn't have a pistol grip in its legal form, you are adding a countable part (the US pistol grip) to the total number of parts so the end result is you are only gaining one countable part.

Isn't useless math fun?

Thanks for the quick reply, seeing as im in New York, they won't ship those nice American made high cap mags to my house :evil: so i have to get them at the local gun center, with these gas prices i might ask if i can move into their store room.

thanks again!

Unless I am missing something (always possible) that would still be illegal in NY.

"ASSAULT WEAPON" MEANS (A) A SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLE THAT HAS AN ABIL-

19 ITY TO ACCEPT A DETACHABLE MAGAZINE AND HAS AT LEAST TWO OF THE FOLLOW-

20 ING CHARACTERISTICS:

21 (I) A FOLDING OR TELESCOPING STOCK;

22 (II) A PISTOL GRIP THAT PROTRUDES CONSPICUOUSLY BENEATH THE ACTION OF

23 THE WEAPON;

24 (III) A BAYONET MOUNT;

25 (IV) A FLASH SUPPRESSOR OR THREADED BARREL DESIGNED TO ACCOMMODATE A

26 FLASH SUPPRESSOR;

27 (V) A GRENADE LAUNCHER; OR

That would be two of the "evil" features a telescoping stock and a pistol grip. Also magazines would have to be preban.

I would love to know if I am missing something I would love to buy some high caps that would work in my new Saiga without modification.

thats odd because mine was sold with a 30rd high cap magazine, and from the local gun shop ( one of the best in the area )

not to mention they were littered all over the place in the gun center and shooting range i go to.

Edited by The-Beast
23. "LARGE CAPACITY AMMUNITION FEEDING DEVICE" MEANS A MAGAZINE, BELT,

24 DRUM, FEED STRIP, OR SIMILAR DEVICE, MANUFACTURED AFTER SEPTEMBER THIR-

25 TEENTH, NINETEEN HUNDRED NINETY-FOUR, THAT HAS A CAPACITY OF, OR THAT

26 CAN BE READILY RESTORED OR CONVERTED TO ACCEPT, MORE THAN TEN ROUNDS OF

27 AMMUNITION; PROVIDED, HOWEVER, THAT SUCH TERM DOES NOT INCLUDE AN

28 ATTACHED TUBULAR DEVICE DESIGNED TO ACCEPT, AND CAPABLE OF OPERATING

29 ONLY WITH, .22 CALIBER RIMFIRE AMMUNITION.

As I understand it the law in NY is the same as the original AWB. The problem is the NY law depended on the Federal law for some things so now how would anyone be able to prove when a magazine was manufactured? It is all very confusing. Perhaps some of the other folks here can clarify.

i just don't get it, places sell M4's with collapse stocks and pistol grips ( and this is gander mountain retail chain ) that would be illegal if according to the above statement, and sold with 15 round mags, again would be illegal according to the above statement. i don't know what to believe anymore.

Edited by The-Beast
i just don't get it, places sell M4's with collapse stocks and pistol grips ( and this is gander mountain retail chain ) that would be illegal if according to the above statement, and sold with 15 round mags, again would be illegal according to the above statement. i don't know what to believe anymore.

You can own all of that stuff you like.

You just can't use it on a firearm.

I live in NY too. You've seen AR's at Gander with telescoping stocks???? Either they are the look-a-like telescoping stocks that are actually fixed, or they are on pre-ban lowers. Those are the only 2 ways they would be legal in NY. Mags over 10 rounds have to be pre-ban too, in NY.

P.S.

Where are you seeing American made high-cap AK mags? I'm pretty sure they're aren't any that are pre-ban (not positive though).

im just gonna get the Saiga skeletonized stock, only because i know it's legal, man that took all the fun out of moding my gun.

You can still have fun modding your gun. Check out mine in my sig. It's completely NY legal.....................and very fun :D .

saiga gas 14 parts total that you need to worry about. You need to be down to 10 or less. If you add this part and want to use high cap mags make them usa built because they count as three in itself. Sure fire and pro mag both make mags and they both work for me very well. That alone should make you legal. You can easily replace the gas piston with a usa part to help too. I am going to put as many usa parts on my saiga as possible. I now have so much done to my gun that nobody even realize that it isn't a high tec ak even with the origional trigger group.

i dunno, it just seems like a royal pain i only wanted the stock with the pistol grip as a way to 'chicken' my way out of doing any drilling yet on her, i just got her and im not done having my fun with her. im just gonna stick with the skeletonized stock, so im guessing i have to get a Russian hand guard to replace the one thats coming off it?

sooner or later i'll get around to adding that pistol grip.

and oddly enough, my gun came with a "new" 30 rd magazine right outta the box, intresting isn't it?

Edited by The-Beast
i only wanted the stock with the pistol grip as a way to 'chicken' my way out of doing any drilling

I just finished my first conversion today. Drilling, filing, dremmeling done. Installed my G2 FCG and trigger guard, painted...just waiitng for my stock and pistol grip to arrive in the mail. Trust me, the drilling isn't all that dangerous. It's more of a pain in the ass than anything else (damn you, spot weld!). If you've used a drill less than 2 times in your life, this mod is still idiot proof. All you need is a center punch, a hand drill, a file, and some patience.

and oddly enough, my gun came with a "new" 30 rd magazine right outta the box, intresting isn't it?

I see this all the time. My first Saiga had an Izhmash skeleton stock and and a modified eastern European 30 round magazine attached to it. I bought it out of a respectable shop. 2 days later, I found this forum and learned of 922r and realized I had purchased an illegal firearm (look above, the magazine was attached in the store). It's amazing how little many shop owners know about the law.

my box was factory sealed, and no apparent marking on the box suggesting tampering. But who knows what they do with them when they get them, you basically got to take their word for it, or until you find a forum like this and learn other wise.

im not mechanically inclined as im a HVAC/R tech, i just get antsy around toying with guns to much, but im sure my fear will subside when that pistol grip itch gets too un-bearable to take anymore. for 70 bucks the skeleton stock seem's to offer a tie in looks and well... a grip lol. MY next challange is to find a front arm guard that i like, thats European made and requires little modification, i have my eye on the railed AK Hand guard (lower, i like the gas tube showing look).

it's been so far an interesting and informative day, to say the least.

Besides you might get lucky like me and have the holes for the true FCG already there just hiding under the plate. Made my conversion so much nicer. They also make a FCG that replaces the factory setup and goes in the same spot as it's in now. So you can have more 922r parts without moving the FCG. That way you can play with more non 922r parts.

NY isn't a bad state, well... it is if you want to own something like an AK-47 and want to trick it out. i gotta get myself to northern new york, all it is up there is hills and trees... perfect for plinking with an AK-47.

Med. just remember we here in NY just pick the best of the bad lot we get and hope they win, plain and simple... lol our new Governor is worse then the old one (at least spitzer never tried to pass a bill for cops to aim to wound instead of shoot to kill) and don't get me started on hilary.

NY isn't a bad state, well... it is if you want to own something like an AK-47 and want to trick it out. i gotta get myself to northern new york, all it is up there is hills and trees... perfect for plinking with an AK-47.

Med. just remember we here in NY just pick the best of the bad lot we get and hope they win, plain and simple... lol our new Governor is worse then the old one (at least spitzer never tried to pass a bill for cops to aim to wound instead of shoot to kill) and don't get me started on hilary.

LMAO, I was just thinking about the whole gov. situation and was gonna make that comment when I came back, you beat me to it. Either way, I think you will like the skeleton stock ALOT more than that factory piece of junk monte stock. Gives the gun a great feel, my ONLY complaint about the stock is that I have short fingers and its a little bit of a stretch for my trigger finger. I find it comfortable to shoot it with my middle finger sometimes, just not quite the fine motor skills and strength as the trigger finger has. I believe I will be picking up another Saiga for modding at the gun show on March 30th, found out yesturday that my friend as a nice work bench in his garage at our apts. would give me a lot better place to work with things vs. sitting on the floor in the living room LOL!!

• 2 months later...
Does anyone know if this would be a compliant part when im just swapping out the stock? since it's American made isn't it compliant or do i need to add a Russian part for it to be compliant?

here's a pic:

tampico%20004.JPG

where did you find this i personally could care less about being compliant but i know to each his own i like that grip though how did you come across it?

Besides you might get lucky like me and have the holes for the true FCG already there just hiding under the plate.

That's not luck, all the 7.62x39 and .223 Saigas are like that.

well....the FCG holes are there, but PG hole is not always there.....that was a rude surprise on my x39....