So somehow my liberal, ACLU card carrying, gun control a$$ got the worst case of 'gotta have its' for an AK. Grew up in the country. Had guns since I was 10, but not in the last 20 years! Went to the gun show. The Saiga bit me, even though I was 'just looking.'

Amazing quality for the price ($195). Wolf steel case rounds for about $0.09! Wouldn't you know it, getting my license out for the paperwork that ACLU card fell right out on the table. Eyebrows were raised. I'm sure I got the Full Paperwork Treatment.

I can't wait to try it out. It seems more like a 'gravel pit blasting away at old pumpkins' than a 'snobby shooting range with clean sandbags andspotting scopes' type of firearm.

Hey, the scope mount looks kinda cheesy. Does it stay true? Anybody use a Red Dot scope? What's a good source for mounts?

Thanks fer letting an old commie like me join in... but, after all... Where's this weapon from again? ;-)

Edited by Smiley_Guy

i have a x1 reddot scope on a side rail mount i purchased both at nightvisionweb.com

as far as staying true the screws on my mount come loose from time to time but not a real big deal works just the same after some tightening. have fun blasting pumpkins, though i prefer the "non gender/race" targets, but as long as it goes boom right?

Smiley Guy: that is one creepy avatar you have there. You are right, this is a gravel pit gun, and you will enjoy it THOROUGHLY in such a manner, as well as at a snobby range. I for one would have loved to see the looks on the dealers face when he saw you ACLU card.

Hey, you cant be all that bad if you bought a gun. I for one think you are realising maybe the liberals have "issues" that need to be dealt with from within thier own ranks. You know, things like what one does on thier private land in the country, stuff like that. :)

you probably havent been around enough threads to see a lot of our different setups, but heres mine, although its a romaninan SAR1, which is almost what you just bought, but came with the pistol grip setup instead. You can find a LOT of aftermarket parts for these things.

make sure you let us know how much your saiga makes you smile when you proceed to blow the hell out of something with it for the first time. remember, its REAL loud, so you might think about bringing some ear plugs with you, as well as a pair of shades or shooting glasses. the brass flies about twenty feet to the right, so watch out for any bystanders.

post-5-1101740104.jpg

Edited by Bvamp

Hey, Bvamp.

Thanks for your kind words. When you think about it, worldwide many more people of the Left persuasion have carried these than of the Right.

I like that stock.

I lurked AK-47.net for some time. I've gotta say I'm kinda fuzzy on the rules regarding what is an 'evil' accessory and what has to be done to add, say, a pistol grip w/o becoming familiar with the criminal justice system. And what about 30 rd. magazines? I know I can make 'em work, but legally?

I plan to get a side mount scope mount and wide field low power optics (or maybe Red Dot). Any comments?

Well, I had to wait... and wait...

The Boy Scouts were practicing marksmanship w/ .22 wadcutters. Good to see 'em at it. Finally had to go. A real live woman was cooking me supper so no joy tonight (at the range).

Yeah Buddy! The ACLU exists to protect us all from incursion of the government into our Rights... all of 'em. Not gonna get political here but... Judge governments by their actions, not their words. ACLU has fought for the Klan's right to free speech. It's not what you say, It's that you can. You want 'em working for you? Join. Let 'em know. 'Nuff said.

Sorry vampie, I work with a bunch of right wing Neo-cons that are pretty tense that Igot something other than a .243 deer rifle. God forbid that I want a firearm that's just for fun.

I'll try again tomorrow.

Oh by the way... they wouldn't let me use the Wolf steel case HP rounds at the indoor range. The freindly range personel put a magnet on the bullet to show me that it was really copper plated steel! He showed me a target holder with holes all shot through it (at least 10 ga steel) that was ruined by an AK. He said they stopped allowing them when they discovered the backstop shot through and half the bricks chipped away from the outside wall.

I said 'oh, that's too bad' but I thought 'Cool!'

"88 Magnum... Shoots through Schools"

Edited by Smiley_Guy

A gunsmith at the range told me that shooting steel or 'multi-metal' bullets will wear the barrel over time.

I've gotten conflicting information about the need for conversion to be able to use 30 round mags and pistol grips. I called BTAF and their PRELIMINARY answer was, 'Hey, do what you want.' I gave them a list of questions. When they call me back I'll post any interesting info I get here. [generic disclaimer: Don't trust anything I say. I'm probably wrong. Ask your doctor for more information]

Bvamp, I still wince each time I see your Avatar