Added a .223 Saiga to my family yesterday. I am now ordering my stuff to do the conversion, and as far as furniture goes, I know exactly what I want. The mags however, I am ignorant on. I have converted 2 Saigas in the past, so I am not a total noob to this, but I haven't dealt with the .223. I know there are several diferent mags you can buy and convert, plus an adapter for AR mags.

My questions are:

What are the best mags to convert for the S223 and are they still available?

What are the cheapest mags that are convertable and do you have some links?

Is the adapter for AR mags 100% reliable?

Is that adapter still available online somewhere?

I understand there has to be modifications to the rifle to use that adapter, is there a good in depth tutorial somewhere out here?

Cmon guys, I put my time in here answering Saiga x39 and 308 questions before I went off the reservation. I know the search engine is my friend and all that, but I want the current intel. Some of you old timers know me, cut me some slack and make this easy for me.

What are the best mags to convert for the S223 and are they still available?

You can use Galil polymer mags (aka orlites) with minimal mods to the magazine (no rifle mods required)

What are the cheapest mags that are convertable and do you have some links?

Century sells steel .223 Weiger clones. These will require mag or rifle modification to work (different than the aforementioned Galil mags).

Is the adapter for AR mags 100% reliable?

If it's installed properly, yes.

Is that adapter still available online somewhere?

With the proper amount of money, anything is aviailable. Can you go to ORF and add one to your shopping basket nowadays? No.

I understand there has to be modifications to the rifle to use that adapter, is there a good in depth tutorial somewhere out here?

I've not see an "in depth" tutorial. Some of the AK-centric forums have "here's what i done" threads.

forgot to add:

Nalioth, if you bought your first .223 today what mags would YOU go with? I know there are a million ways to skin a cat, how would YOU skin it?

Oh and thanks for the reply bro. Didn't you have some weird ass snake avatar a long time ago?

Edited by Vermiform
Orlites would still require a bullet guide (dinzag's) right?

All of them mentioned would require a bullet guide.

I've not heard any feedback on .223 Pro-Mags to know if they work or not w/o one.

forgot to add:

Nalioth, if you bought your first .223 today what mags would YOU go with? I know there are a million ways to skin a cat, how would YOU skin it?

Oh and thanks for the reply bro. Didn't you have some weird ass snake avatar a long time ago?

Today, I'd probably buy a pro-mag and experiment with it. The century Weiger knockoffs should work fine, though.

I bought a bunch of orlites a while back, for just this purpose.

No weird snake avater, just this one: nalioth.png (maybe you were thinking "snake food")

SSSSSSSSSsssssssssssssssssnake food...lol! j/k

Where the hell ya been Vermiform?

The Bulgarian 5.56mm waffle mags will fit like a glove and functuion 100% with a very slight mod. All mine do. They work so well and fit so tight, I have not bothered trying anything else.

Just like the others, you will need a bullet guide.

post-1293-1207281916_thumb.jpg

Not the cheapest mags on the block but the Surefires fit without having to mod the mags or add a bullet guide to the rifle.I've been using them since I got my 223 back about 6 months ago and havent had any problems with them.I see now too they have mag clamps for them to stack them.

Just my 2 cents

Not the cheapest mags on the block but the Surefires fit without having to mod the mags or add a bullet guide to the rifle.I've been using them since I got my 223 back about 6 months ago and havent had any problems with them.I see now too they have mag clamps for them to stack them.

Just my 2 cents

Thats the route I took - I got the surefire metal ones and no problems so far.