S-12 conversion- how did they do?

My first Saiga was a 12 gauge, which I recently had converted by a gunsmith in Virginia. How did they do?

I then picked up a .308, then a 7.62x39. Is it just me or do Saigas seem like much better quality than Arsenal Bulgaria for a lot less money???

I'm planning on getting Cobra's rail system for this, along with some Krebs sights.

DSCF6061.jpg

DSCF6059.jpg

Looks very good. Perhaps in the future when having professional conversions done they can also weld the extra axis pin holes shut instead of pluggin' 'em.

(I suggest this as an option, knowing there would be extra cost involved, but would look much more professional.)

Looks good man. It's good as long as YOU like it! :smoke: He might should have painted the dustcover and selector lever with the same paint on the receiver but I'm sure it's not as noticeable in sunlight. Camera flashes have a way of doing that. In fact maybe he did and it still looks like that only with the flash. I have seen that with some other conversions that were all painted with the same paint. I don't understand why. :unsure:

Only other thing to me is the TG being turned under and fastened instead of bent the other way and fastened with the selector stop up behind the mag catch where they normally are. Two reasons are...

1. I don't like anything inside the TG area but my finger and the trigger.

2. I don't like the way the selector drops below the edge of the receiver on the factory guns. If you move the stop forward it catches it up higher and looks more normal. It really doesn't need to come down that far to operate correctly.

The hole plugs don't bother me at all, especially the small nylon ones that look the same size as the rivets. People who don't know what they are can't tell any difference.

Not nitpickin your baby! :wub::) Like I said it's great as long as you are happy and most people who see it are going to love it because of what it is.

Enjoy it bro!

And with the addition of a Cobra rail yours will be one of a very few originals. :super:

Thanks guys. I will forward this feedback onto them. For $180 (including the stock and grip- I supplied the G2) and a 2-week turnaround time I was happy with it. Hopefully it runs!

I didn't notice much of a difference in the paint- will have to have a closer look at home.

DSCF6056.jpg

Looks good, as mentioned, if you like it that's the most important thing.

FWIW, I do weld up the rivet pin holes, turn the trigger guard out and move the safety stop forward (so the safety doesn't hang off the bottom of the gun), weld up the little hole in the back behind the PG, and trim the BHO some, so that it cannot be accidentally engaged when firing.

I am also in Va.

Agreed w/ Cobra. The trigger guard could have been bent the other way to keep the area inside clean. For $180 that's a good deal on a great conversion.

In an ideal world there'd be a welder in every shop. Nothing wrong with bolts though.

So who in Va did the conversion for you?

A shop in the Fredericksburg area. I'll post this info shortly.

:)

Hmmm...now you have me curious. I didn't realize anyone in this area worked on Saigas. I did see about getting SPU to thread my 7.62 barrel for me, but they wouldn't do it.

Where are you going to shoot it?

Jim