Please explain in simple terms what 922r means, and why so many people

OK, so I bought a brand new all-stock Saiga 7.62x39 with skeleton stock and 16" barrel - pic below. I want to make some changes to the rifle, and keep hearing and reading about 922r compliant pieces and parts. I am not hunting with this thing, it's just something for me to have fun with when out shooting - and if things get really bad it'll be a self defense weapon.

I will be using either pro shot or master mag 30 rd magazines, adding a red-dot scope, and possibly changing hand guards and extending the stock.

Do I even need to worry about 922r? Why do so many people "convert" their Saiga's and what exactly does that mean? Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I've seen lots of detailed info and no high-level "for dummies" explanation of either 922r or conversions...

IMG_2626.jpg

Hello and welcome to the forum. Dinzag did a very thorough writeup on this topic, on this very section. So take a few minutes and read through his article.

Here is the "oversimplified" version:

Saiga = imported "sporting" weapon because it has more than 10 imported parts (hence the relevance of parts counts with rifles and shotguns).

"Non-sporting" use = pistol grip or hi-cap magazine (the 30 rounder you want to use) = requires 922r compliance = less than 10 imported parts on Saiga.

Hope that helps.

You're welcome.

I should add the correction that 922r compliance requires that you have no MORE than 10 imported parts. So I was mistaken about needing less than 10 parts.

Also, now that you sorta have a grasp on what all that means, keep in mind that only specific parts are counted (also another sticky post on this section) and that some people believe in being in compliance BEFORE the mag parts are even counted.

some people believe in being in compliance BEFORE the mag parts are even counted.

I'll do whatever the cheapest mod is first, plus the mag and call it good until I find something else that I have to have... I am assuming there is a good list of parts vendors somewhere on this site?

some people believe in being in compliance BEFORE the mag parts are even counted.

I'll do whatever the cheapest mod is first, plus the mag and call it good until I find something else that I have to have... I am assuming there is a good list of parts vendors somewhere on this site?

Cheapest way to compliance land without having to do the trigger group conversion as well would be to replace the gas piston. Here is Dinzag's offering. TAPCO also makes U.S. made pistons. Install one of these and you can legally use U.S. made high capacity magazines. Promag and Surefire are a couple popular brands that make mags to work without any modification to your rifle (such as filing the mag release and adding a bullet guide).

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure it won't be long before you decide to give in and convert your rifle.

I'm sure it won't be long before you decide to give in and convert your rifle.

Actually, I am still a bit fuzzy on this part - what exactly does it mean to convert?

Converting means bring it back to the correct AK configuration (getting rid of that trigger in the ass end). You drill out the 2 rivets on the rear of the gun, take out all the factory fire control group. Remove the plate riveted to the bottom of the rifle and install a real AK fire control group along with a pistol grip. If you want to continue down the conversion path the next thing to do would be to install a bullet guide along with filing down the magazine latch and start using real AK magazines. To sum it all up, you're pretty much taking the Saiga disguise off the gun and putting it back to how it was meant to be.

I'm sure it won't be long before you decide to give in and convert your rifle.

Actually, I am still a bit fuzzy on this part - what exactly does it mean to convert?

To add to taurus' description...........

Conversion = going from this......

P8210024Medium.jpg

to this.......

conv1.jpg

:D