Ok, i'm a newbie. Since buying my stock out of the box saiga 762, I have added the following items. a Tasco red dot sight (china), a UTG 973 side rail (china?) and a US made nylon sling. I would like to get 2 ea ProMag polymer 20 round mags (USA made?). will this make my rifle illegal?

Nothing has nor will be modified on the rifle, unless I can find a rear sight that has windage adjustment on it at a later time. Bear with me , I'm slowly learning.

I read the 922r section, took me 3 hours, its still confusing, lots of opinions and debate. All I need to know is can I use the ProMag and still be legal or do I have to modify the gun with other parts or take off one of the options that I installed?

Trying to keep this simple, i'm not a lawyer.

Edited by saiga1943
Ok, i'm a newbie. Since buying my stock out of the box saiga 762, I have added the following items. a Tasco red dot sight (china), a UTG 973 side rail (china?) and a US made nylon sling. I would like to get 2 ea ProMag polymer 20 round mags (USA made?). will this make my rifle illegal? Nothing has nor will be modified on the rifle, unless I can find a rear sight that has windage adjustment on it at a later time. Bear with me , I'm slowly learning. I still have a 30-30 marlin lever thats legal.

Only semiautomatic long guns are considered "good" and "evil" by the lawmakers. Lever and pump action owners need not worry about them.

You'll need to visit the 922r section to bring your Saiga up to legal standards while using your 20s.

Edited by nalioth
Ok, i'm a newbie. Since buying my stock out of the box saiga 762, I have added the following items. a Tasco red dot sight (china), a UTG 973 side rail (china?) and a US made nylon sling. I would like to get 2 ea ProMag polymer 20 round mags (USA made?). will this make my rifle illegal? Nothing has nor will be modified on the rifle, unless I can find a rear sight that has windage adjustment on it at a later time. Bear with me , I'm slowly learning. I still have a 30-30 marlin lever thats legal.

Only semiautomatic long guns are considered "good" and "evil" by the lawmakers. Lever and pump action owners need not worry about them.

You'll need to visit the 922r section to bring your Saiga up to legal standards while using your 20s.

Ok thanks. I read the 922 section, but I think I need a lawyer to interpret the info. I kinda infered from some of it that the ProMag mags fixed the problem.

Ok thanks. I read the 922 section, but I think I need a lawyer to interpret the info. I kinda infered from some of it that the ProMag mags fixed the problem.

No lawyer needed. Just make sure when you are using magazines of more than 10 round capacity, your rifle doesn't have more than 10 foreign parts from the list in it (including mag parts).

I just went through this.

Once your rifle has a mazazine with a capacity higher than 10 it's no longer considered a sporting weapon, and has to comply with 922r. To comply with 922r you can have no more than 10 foreign made components on the rifle. Original parts count for the 7.62x39 Saiga is 14 foreign parts, you added two more parts that were foreign made bringing the count up to 16. That means that you need to swap 6 parts out at a minimum that are US made to bring the rifle into compliance. The ProMag magazine counts as three parts, so you have three to go. A gas piston only counts as 1, foregrip counts as 2 (I think), trigger group is worth three, there are lots of options.

I am going to make sure that when I add my red-dot and mount they are american made, so that after I use a 30rd American made mag (3 parts) and install my US made gas piston (1 part) I'll be in compliance. I am also looking at either foregrip or trigger group to make sure I am way on the safe side of things...

Once your rifle has a mazazine with a capacity higher than 10 it's no longer considered a sporting weapon, and has to comply with 922r. To comply with 922r you can have no more than 10 foreign made components on the rifle. Original parts count for the 7.62x39 Saiga is 14 foreign parts, you added two more parts that were foreign made bringing the count up to 16. That means that you need to swap 6 parts out at a minimum that are US made to bring the rifle into compliance. The ProMag magazine counts as three parts, so you have three to go. A gas piston only counts as 1, foregrip counts as 2 (I think), trigger group is worth three, there are lots of options.

I am going to make sure that when I add my red-dot and mount they are american made, so that after I use a 30rd American made mag (3 parts) and install my US made gas piston (1 part) I'll be in compliance. I am also looking at either foregrip or trigger group to make sure I am way on the safe side of things...

While it would be nice if we could just replace any parts ( I have some very cheap American made screws that'll hold the buttstock on just fine), the parts that count are on the list rprovided by the government.

Sadly, sights and mounts aren't on the list (and don't count as a part*).

*An exception would be an ultimak mount, but it counts as part of your hand guard, not an optics mount.

The foreign parts he added don't "count" (red dot sight and side rail). But you're right on the maximum # of foreign parts; 10. You just have to make sure the parts you're swapping out are on the list, which you can find in the 922r section of this site.

With what you said you wanna use, the U.S. made mag (3 parts) and U.S. made piston (1 part), you should be good to go, considering you haven't added any more foreign parts. The hand guard is only 1 point, BTW. Just so you don't count on it for 2 parts.

Edited by 22_Shooter

The general rule I like to follow is assume that you will always use foreign-made high capacity magazines and covert enough of the other parts on the 922® list reach at least the 10 total foreign parts. This way you can use either U.S.-made or foreign-made mags with no worries (and this is great as many times the foreign-made mags are much cheaper).

There is tons of excellent information on this forum as well as a very straightforward guide at http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/ on how to replace enough of these parts to achieve this goal.

In general, when converting a Saiga firearm, at least 4 parts are changed out. These are the FCG (3 parts: trigger, hammer, and disconnector) and the buttstock (1 part). With imported high cap magazines, you will still be compliant as 14-4=10 imported parts which makes your count the bare minimum for 922r compliance. Most people change their hanguards as well, which will put you 1 more part in the green zone. Change out the gas piston and your even better off if low numbers is your game.

Word of advice, do it all now before this bill gets passed into law.

In general, when converting a Saiga firearm, at least 4 parts are changed out.

If you exchange "firearm" for "rifle", you are correct. The Saiga shotguns (w/o choke) only need 3 parts exchanged.

Gentlemen, thank you, one and all for your time and information. I have decided to stick with the 10 rd mags [usa made] and just get 3 more of them. This peashooter is going to be used for targets, varmits, and vermin and if necessary home defense.

Everyone please send a mail to your representative Vote NO on the gun ban bill.

Thanks again

Saiga1943