Deer Hunting with the Saiga12

you should send that picture and a letter to the NRA as well as EAA and give them fodder for pro-gun hunting and recreational use of these so-called "evil assualt weapons". (yes I spelled that wrong on purpose)

they might have a use for it, if you think about it.

how far was the shot and what round did you use, and were you still hunting or in a stand?

it is a good sized animal anywhere you take him, really. I expect that there are more of them out in that area, due to the river being right there. There is probably a big 'un lurkin' nearby, is my bet...

ricardomagana, the tag was $26 for me but I'm sure it would be a bit more for out-of-staters. It was taken behind my parents property outside of Marshalltown, IA. It's pretty much dead center of Iowa. There are quite a few great hunting spots around here. I'm not sure on the exact dates of the seasons. I think early shotgun lasts 2 or 3 more days and late shotgun is in a week or 2.

bvamp, I really should send out a pic to the EAA showint that the saiga as well as other "evil guns" can be used for hunting. I took this bad boy with a couple Winchester 2 3/4 inch 1 oz slugs. I was hunting from a blind that I made that was a little higher than the river bottom. I'd say the 1st shot was from about 30 or 40 yards which was a lung shot. He started to run towards me, and I was going to shoot him in the chest, but he turned at the last second and I ended up catching him in the hip. After that it was all over. I would count this deer as either a 8 or 9 pointer depending on your definition of points. Here's a pic and you guys can tell me what you think. I've circled the areas that could be considered as points.

ozone_00, Thanks. I figured I'd try to be as hidden as possible. That camo tape works really well. It came right off after I was done.

post-2-1102446142.jpg

Edited by damntheman

I would call him an honest non-typical 8, but that nub might get scored as a 9. A taxidermist or eco cop would know better than I.

I guess it goes without asking that you will mount him huh?

now when you coming into NY to help us kill these damn vermin here? they are like a plague in my area, and they are all SMALL animals for the most part. too many city people come up here and shoot ANY buck that walks.

I hear ya. There are so many deer in Iowa that it's just crazy. My friend has been hunting with some farmers that have been getting 4 to 6 tags each just to clean some of them out. I've also heard that there are a few mountain lions that have been coming around for the last couple years. There was one hit by a car about 2 miles south of Marshalltown. I'd really like to get a mountain lion some year. They are considered the same as coyotes here. All you need is a general hunting lisence to shoot one. Fun stuff.

--DamnTheMan

Here's the one I took with mine on Sat morning, it was a long shot for a Saiga I thought, about 70 yards from a 25 foot tree stand. I was using Brenneke 1 oz slugs. I've cut the barrel down to 18.5 inches and put a Romanian folding stock on it, makes it very easy to handle. This was in Prince Georges County Maryland about 15 miles outside Washington DC, he's a nice buck for this area.

post-2-1102586992.jpg

i could only wish there were some 3 or 4 year old bucks around here. I would just shoot every deer i saw, granted, because I hate the things, but we have spikes predominantly here, even in "indian territory". 8-10 pointers are rare here for sure......

spur: does he still count as typical even with the small nub near the lowest right spike he has? I never quite got where the line was drawn between typical and non typical.....

No he's not non-typical, a solid 8 that's at least 3 to 3.5 years old. There's some good hunting in PG couty if you scout the right places. I got him behind a friends house, she has 9 acers and her property butts up against some farm land.....not to far from where Rt 301 and Rt 50 meet.

Here's a two year old six point I took the Sat before last, actually had a bigger body than this last one.....why he wasn't an 8 I don't know......broke one of his tines on the way out of the woods, but a friend is fixing it. I took him with my folding stock S-12 too.....remind me to tell youthe story of how immediate action drill saved this kill, my S-12 malfunctioned....twice........this Sat we're going to do a drive hunt and at least 5 of us are going to be using S-12s that I converted.....

post-2-1102673568.jpg

thanks, I wasnt sure if non-typical applied to that buck. how much of the rack has to be non-typical to be counted as such?

you should get a group shot with your kills after the hunt spur. more and more guys I notice are using the s12 hunting, and ya'll should let the pictures fly with the gun in them, before the liberals find out about this gun. once that vang character is convicted, or his gun is shown on CNN, expect a flow of gun-grabbers to this site. a bunch of evidence of it being legitimately used to hunt with would help quite a bit I bet. nobody really knows about the s12+20, so when they find out.....you KNOW they wont be happy AT ALL.