7.62 saiga mag compatibility and whatnot

Hello Saiga people!

I'm looking at a Saiga M3 EXP, like so:

http://www.izhmash.ru/eng/product/saiga-m3exp.shtml

Or a normal Saiga M3

http://www.izhmash.ru/eng/product/saiga.shtml

I have a few questions. What do i have to do to make it take regular AK mags(7.62)?

And can i make the saiga mag that comes with it fit after modifying the rifle?

Is this even necessary? Somewhere i heard that only the US export versions can't take AK mags and the european versions can.

And can i fit the triangle sidefolder stock in place of the plastic folder? Thanks for any answers in advance and please keep in mind i'm looking at the european versions.

Edited by Agias

Where are you located? Im assuming US due to your US/european quesion. The first link you have isn't imported into the US at all. Thats a straight AK-103 except single shot only. So yes that takes stock AK mags.

The second link is just a normal 20" 7.62x39 Saiga with different stock and handguards. Pretty wood too :)

For any Saiga thats imported into the US you have two options for high cap mags. Install a bullet guide(already a thread on it) or use the surefire mags that have a built-in "shelf."

Either way you have to obey 922r though. Theres a whole forum here that details what you need to do for 922r.

No i'm not from the states, importation is no problem. If you're sure the first one takes standard AK mags i'll go with that.

In the second link if you scroll down it lists different versions. The Saiga M3 is down there somewhere.

Thanks for the reply

Odd we cannot get the straight pull bolt model with a 10 round magazine.. it is similar to the PAR Romanians in that respect and they are allowed into the country...

Pardon?

They do not import the straight pull Saiga M3 to the United States, even though it is not semi automatic in operation.

Odd we cannot get the straight pull bolt model with a 10 round magazine.. it is similar to the PAR Romanians in that respect and they are allowed into the country...

Pardon?

They do not import the straight pull Saiga M3 to the United States, even though it is not semi automatic in operation.

Yeah i got that, i'm just not sure how this relates to my questions. I hope i don't order the straight pull version on accident though, i want the semi.

Edited by Agias
And just out of curiousity, what's the difference with the Saiga magazine that makes the rifles incompatible with normal mags?

The factory Saiga rifle has a longer magazine release lever. It is designed to work with Saiga magazines, and is too long to work with miltary magazines.

The Saiga magazine has a thinner locking tab at the rear, and is about 3 or 4mm higher in the front, which acts as a feed ramp.

Thanks! So you're saying that in addition to installing a feed ramp into the rifle i'll also have to cut down the release lever? If the M3 EXP is made in the same way that is.

Edited by Agias
Thanks! So you're saying that in addition to installing a feed ramp into the rifle i'll also have to cut down the release lever? If the M3 EXP is made in the same way that is.

If you cut it, I suspect you'll take too much off.

Get your military magazines you plan on using, and do the "file and fit, file and fit, file and fit" routine.

Remember, you can always take more off, but it's very difficult to add it back.

If you cut it, I suspect you'll take too much off.

Get your military magazines you plan on using, and do the "file and fit, file and fit, file and fit" routine.

Remember, you can always take more off, but it's very difficult to add it back.

Yeah that's what i was thinking about too.

It's nice that modifying the rifle is so easy, i'd hate modifying all my mags instead. I have some sweet ones i don't feel like messing up.

And just out of curiousity, what's the difference with the Saiga magazine that makes the rifles incompatible with normal mags?

The factory Saiga rifle has a longer magazine release lever. It is designed to work with Saiga magazines, and is too long to work with miltary magazines.

The Saiga magazine has a thinner locking tab at the rear, and is about 3 or 4mm higher in the front, which acts as a feed ramp.

Thanks for this info, I was curious as to what exactly that difference was between the 2. Once I get my Saiga in, your information will help make my military magazine conversion alot easier.